New owner - competition number

Old April 10th 18, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Default New owner - competition number

I have bought my first glider and picking it up saturday.
It's registered in Germany but doesn't have a competition number, how are they chosen? Where can you register one?
Old April 10th 18, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

At 18:23 10 April 2018, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
I have bought my first glider and picking it up saturday.
It's registered in Germany but doesn't have a competition number,

how are
they chosen? Where can you register one?

By the gliding organization in your country. Check with them as to
how they are given out.

RO

Old April 10th 18, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 2:23:03 PM UTC-4, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
I have bought my first glider and picking it up saturday.
It's registered in Germany but doesn't have a competition number,
how are they chosen? Where can you register one?

In what country???
Old April 10th 18, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 2:23:03 PM UTC-4, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
I have bought my first glider and picking it up saturday.
It's registered in Germany but doesn't have a competition number, how are they chosen? Where can you register one?

What did you end up getting? Congratulations!
Old April 11th 18, 07:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Op dinsdag 10 april 2018 20:49:30 UTC+2 schreef Dan Daly:
On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 2:23:03 PM UTC-4, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
I have bought my first glider and picking it up saturday.
It's registered in Germany but doesn't have a competition number, how are they chosen? Where can you register one?

What did you end up getting? Congratulations!

Found a lovely DG 101, price was low but needed a new radio so it's fair.

Old April 11th 18, 08:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le mercredi 11 avril 2018 08:34:23 UTC+2, Senna Van den Bosch a écritÂ*:
Op dinsdag 10 april 2018 20:42:42 UTC+2 schreef Dave Nadler:
On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 2:23:03 PM UTC-4, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
I have bought my first glider and picking it up saturday.
It's registered in Germany but doesn't have a competition number,
how are they chosen? Where can you register one?

In what country???

Belgium, in Europe.

Congratulations to your first glider!
As for competition numbers - most people put on what they like. You probably can register it with your national aeroclub (useful if somebody else shows up with the same competition number at a central contest), but that's up to you.
Old April 11th 18, 11:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

I dont think anyone in the uk would contemplate using a competition number which they had not registered with the BGA.
Old April 11th 18, 01:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In many countries it's just a personal choice and decision, no registry involved. In such countries, if in a particular competition two sailplanes bear the same marks, the Competition Director will ask one of them to change his ID. As a CD in Italy, I might ask to the pilot with a shorter career to perform the change in "respect of the longer career", or I might ask the competitor who in my opinion has the easiest option to change his ID (i.e: AI can very easily be modified to AT, AF, AE etc.) to oblige. Or I may apply any other ideas in my "best" judgment.

In other countries (the UK and probably others), the national federation is responsible for keeping a registry of compID's.

Sporting rules for competitions usually prescribe that a competition ID (1-3 characters) must be clearly visible on both sides of the vertical fin. This should also be complemented with even larger characters under one wing. So, check the rules in your country and those of the countries where you will fly (maybe France and Germany for example), so that you do the work properly, once and for all.

If painted, in some countries a popular choice is to replicate the last 2 characters of the registration marking, so if you sell your glider, the compID may simply continue with the new owner (i.e: D-KABC - "BC").
Other pilots have such strong ties with their ID that they'll use the same for all their career (think Giorgio Galetto, forever "Y").

Aldo Cernezzi
www.voloavela.it
Old April 11th 18, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le mercredi 11 avril 2018 14:19:18 UTC+2, a écritÂ*:
[...]

In Germany, there is an official registration with the DAec - but most do just as they like. In the scenario described by Aldo, the one who is not registered will be asked to do the change for the during of the competition by some lengths of tape.

The number of registered drone operators exceeds the number of manned aircraft pilots Larry Dighera Piloting 3 July 14th 16 09:41 PM
CFI vs FBO owner? Teacher Piloting 9 December 9th 15 06:25 AM
Number Two Bob (not my real pseudonym) Aviation Photos 7 February 20th 10 11:34 AM
Pitts Number 1 registration number Mirco Aerobatics 3 December 4th 04 11:50 AM