Bad news from AOA

Old February 24th 04, 03:40 AM
ROBIN FLY

Default Bad news from AOA

Just received my AOA oil analysis report. My last report had a high iron value
(66 ppm), and this report the iron value is even higher at 75 parts per
million. AOA issued the following 4 recommendation codes:

117 iron appears high
129 possible cam/lifter wear
108 check oil filter for chips
135 resample 25 hours to monitor wear trend

This is a Continental E225-8 with only 322 hours on new Conti cylinders major
by a well-known shop 7 years ago. It runs great and burns 1 qt every 18 hr.
Last annual, all compressions were over 70.

Should I keep flying it and resample in 25 hours like AOA says or do something
now?

Do you see a bottom end overhaul in my near future?

Thanks.

Robin Hou

Old February 24th 04, 10:58 AM
Roger Long

Check this out:

http://baldeagleflyingclub.org/Lifters.htm

Our experience?

We had a very small amount of chips in the filter. Two shops and AOA said
to resample in 25 hours and keep an eye on it. Second oil change, we had
more chips and pulled the lifters. Two were bad and the cam shaft was
damaged just slightly beyond airworthiness. If we had pulled the lifters
immediately we would have been flying all winter and the repair bill would
have been 1/10 th as much.

Check the filter every oil change with a magnet. If even one magnetic chip
shows up, take a look at the lifters. They fail in chunks. Most other
parts wear.

Your engine will run and sound great with bad lifters. The pieces are so
heavy that they usually won't suspend in the oil and show up in the
analysis.

--
Roger Long

Old February 24th 04, 02:22 PM
Dennis O'Connor

Whistling past the graveyard won't work on this one... Talk to your
mechanic, but it's
probably time for a jug to come off and take a look see - especially at the
lifters and cam...
denny