Radio band scanner

Old October 13th 04, 09:20 PM
Fritz

Default Radio band scanner

Living and working near an airport, I'd like to listen some times to
Air-Ground communications. Do you have any suggestion on a good,
portable, lightweight scanner with rechargable batteries?

--
Fritz
Old October 14th 04, 05:38 AM
Matthew Chidester

depends on really how close you are.. I bought a small $30 radio where I
basically have to be right AT the airport to hear anything..and AM stations
would mix in with the audio.

I got fed up with that and bought a ICOM A5 (sport) I think with the
cigarette adapter so I could listen in the car as well. It's a really nice
unit and you can use rechargable batteries since the sport model gives you a
battery case instead of the nicad battery.

pricey but I like it,

Matthew
(plus it records.. kinda cool)

Old October 14th 04, 07:27 PM
Fritz

Matthew Chidester wrote:

depends on really how close you are..

Workplace 1.000 meters fom the airport tower
Home 4-5 km from the airport.

--
Fritz
Old October 14th 04, 07:36 PM
Matthew Chidester

i'm about a 25 min drive from the airport.. 20~25nm not sure what the
conversion is but I can pick up approach and atis, sometimes tower and
ground on a good day (weather affects it)

I think you'd easily be able to listen using the A5.. it's a little pricey
and when I bought it was $300 but it should work

(plus it has a coax connection where the ant. comes off, you could hook it
up carefully looking at specs to a bigger ant but you being that close you
won't need it)

Matthew
(hope that helps, i'm glad I bought mine - helps me with radio work here in
the US)