Accelerated license course?

Old May 31st 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Accelerated license course?

In Australia I have heard there are places where you can get your
sailplane license in a week of continuous training. I already have much
aviation experience (HG) and would like to get my sailplane license but
balk at driving the 4 hours round trip to the closest sailport, about
40 times to get the license. Is there anyplace in the US that offers an
accelerated course? Anyone have any comments, good or bad, about this
arrangement?
Deane

Old May 31st 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The two places in the USA that I think specialize in accelerated
courses - mostly due to good weather are Estrella, AZ, and Marfa, TX.
Most commercial FBOs such as Boulder, CO, Caracole, CA, Keystone, PA
and Minden, NV should also suit your purpose.

-Tom

Old May 31st 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Deane,

You shouldn't really need 40 trips to get your license.

I can't remember if you ever flew power, but if you have flown more
that 40 hours (dual counts) then you only need 3 hours of glider
flight, including 10 solo flights to satisfy the FAA requirements.

If you have not flown power, then it is 20 glider flights including 10
solo flights totaling at least 2 hours.

Since you are used to flying the swift with a stick, that's not new,
neither is aero tow. The rudder pedals might be new, but should not be
a problem. Overall I would expect your learning curve to be quick.

Still, you should learn in a concentrated push at a commercial
operation. The closest a
Sugarbush, VT (http://www.sugarbush.org/)
Knauff's in PA (eglider.org)
Bermuda high in South Carolina
Seminole Lakes in florida (http://www.soarfl.com/) right up the road
from Quest.

I have never taken instruction at any of these sites, so I can't really
comment on quality of instruction.

Todd Smith (aka Toad)

Old May 31st 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In my opinion an accelerated course is the most efficient way to obtain
your rating
It is a bit pricey, but in the long run, with the price of fuel and so
on, it shouldn't cost much more than a club that is a 2 hrs drive
from your location.
..
Soar Minden (800 3457627) will dedicate an instructor to you, and it is
possible to obtain your rating in a week. You will be trained in modern
glass ships by a professional friendly staff. Check out their wed site
www.soarminden.com.

Old May 31st 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'm sure Don would be very willing to help you out:

http://www.crosscountrysoaring.com/welcome1.html

He's based about 1/2 hour south of the Minneapolis/St. Paul airport in
a medium sized town with plenty of motel and restaurant options. The
equipment is _pristine_ and he's a really nice guy to boot.

Old May 31st 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Deane wrote:
In Australia I have heard there are places where you can get your
sailplane license in a week of continuous training.

Solo in a week is possible but not a licence. Oz doesn't actually issue
licences for gliders, it has a British club-based system with no formal
piece of paper - just a logbook.

Six students soloed from our last course but they would not have been to
US licence standard. Our 5 day course guarantees 40,000 feet of
launches - usually 20-30 flights.

I already have much
aviation experience (HG) and would like to get my sailplane license but
balk at driving the 4 hours round trip to the closest sailport, about
40 times to get the license. Is there anyplace in the US that offers an
accelerated course? Anyone have any comments, good or bad, about this
arrangement?

It results in quicker learning than weekends only but consistent
followup practice over the next month or two is needed or there is
marked regression in skills in the weeks following the course. This may
be less marked if you have previous experience.

GC

Deane

Old May 31st 06, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I have some research to do now.

Old June 1st 06, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I did my Commercial add on in 4 days with Burt at Marfa Gliders. It
was great! Very good training with high standards plus lots of fun.

Old June 1st 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Tony wrote:
I did my Commercial add on in 4 days with Burt at Marfa Gliders. It
was great! Very good training with high standards plus lots of fun.

Yes Tony, but you had done your ground-school homework ahead of time,
had solid airmanship skills and had dual with your excellent home-club
CFIG, Matt Michael. Remember our landings on tow - including the touch
& goes? How about that simulated off-airport landing? I might have
surprised you, but you nailed it perfectly. Yep, we had a mighty good
time adding on your glider rating. By the way, congrats on buying
your first sailplane and your recent XC flights!

Anyhow, I tell everyone to allow a week at Marfa (anytime of year)
with us to acquire the new skills (above the FAA minimums), and be a
competent, confident pilot when you take the checkride with me. Some
do it in less time, but that's not the point, is it?

Burt Compton, CFIG / FAA Designated Pilot Examier
Marfa Gliders, west Texas
www.flygliders.com
cell: 800-667-9464