Getting an A&P license

Old August 23rd 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Getting an A&P license

I emailed Jim Wier of Kitplanes and ask about getting an A&P
license since he is a college professor and A&P and IA. Jim was kind
enough to answer all my questions, but ask me to bring the topic to
this group. I had checked in to two colleges that have dedicated
programs for just A&P. They are 18 month programs for an associates
degree and cost in the area of $30,000. My question to Jim was, "Is it
worth it?"
Jim told me to check at my local Community college and see if they
didn't have a program that was the same thing............and YES they
do! And just as Jim said, the cost is only $2300! It is, however, a
21 month program instead of an 18 mo. program. But since it's
basically a program of morning classes, it is possible to keep a part
time job and not lose all of one's income.
I'm 54 and looking at this as a retirement program in something
that I really enjoy. I'm currently a pilot with an instrument ticket,
and also a tailwheel, and complex aircraft endorsement. I currently
have about 1100 hours, and have flown about 10 different aircraft. I
currently own three airplanes, including a homebuilt single seat
aircraft with a 40 hp. Rotax.
Jim wanted me to bring this to the group, so here it is. If you
have become an A&P, please give your assessment of "Is it worth it?"
and any other comments you might have. One of my other questions to
Jim was, "Can a guy make any money rebuilding A/C that have been messed
up in a small accident, or just have a run out engine, or are just ugly
and need some TLC?" Any comments would be appreciated!

Old August 23rd 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jester

wrote:
I emailed Jim Wier of Kitplanes and ask about getting an A&P
license since he is a college professor and A&P and IA. Jim was kind
enough to answer all my questions, but ask me to bring the topic to
this group.

Just the fact that you have three airplanes should make it worth the
cost. I went to a vo-tech program. 6 hours a day for 18 months, about
$6,000. Its hard for me to believe that there are programs out there
that are $30,000. I know that they are out there (a somewhat well known
one up in Tulsa), but i cant really see what an extra $24,000 dollars
would have gotten me. I know an associates at the local community
college doesnt cost $24,000. We had fairly decent equipment, and the
instructors were competent. I enjoyed the entire process, but that was
somthing i wanted to do after i got my private ticket. I say go for it
at the community college.
Jesse Matlock
PP-ASEL
A&P

As far as the money making thing, i dont really know. Im working for
the Air Force as a civilian, but i hope to get to use my ticket soon.

Old August 23rd 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Errol Groff

On 23 Aug 2006 08:43:10 -0700, wrote:

[...]

The school I teach at has an A&P program (the oldest public high
school program in the country I believe). It is a three year program
$1200 per year. The program runs concurrent with the regular school
year. That is September to June. There are always some fellows in
your age range enrolled so you won't feel out of place. It is a post
grad program so you won't be dealing with teenagers in class or shop.

If you are interested in more information contact the head of guidance
Phill Blinn at 860 774 8511.

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org

Old August 23rd 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Burns[_1_]

Worth has a relative definition.

In my mind, the value is in the education and the experience gained during
the learning process and during subsequent work performed after obtaining
the certificate. That value or worth can be measured by the gratitude of
your friends and customers and the pride that you can take knowing that they
are flying a safe and airworthy aircraft. If your main objective is to
build monetary wealth by savings gained working on your own aircraft or via
the income derived by working on others, I'd rather you not work on my
airplane. This is NOT to say that great A&P's do not deserve every penny
that they earn and more, but it goes to the primary impetus of the person's
decision to become an A&P. Another analogy would be is it worth it to
become a teacher? It's an answer that is found inside yourself. It is
"worth it" if you invest the time, money, and most of all the effort to
become an A&P which everybody can whole heartedly recommend.
Jim

Old August 26th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ebby

Boy this message reads like I could have written it. I am about to retire
and love working with my hands and love airplanes. I have about 1200 hours
into my homebuilt project and my local community college is starting an A&P
curriculum. What a great way to legitimately combine work and play!

ups.com...