flying low...military video

Old January 2nd 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

Default flying low...military video

Wild.

http://www.glumbert.com/media/flylow

Old January 2nd 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 10:24:57 -0800, "gatt"
wrote in
:

Wild.

http://www.glumbert.com/media/flylow

Your tax dollars at work. :-(

Only the military is exempt from operations at speeds in excess of 250
knots below 10,000'. The kill a civilian in the US now and then due
to not being able to see-and-avoid at those speeds, but oh well....

Do you think you could see-and-avoid military aircraft on a MTR?

Old January 2nd 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 10:24:57 -0800, "gatt"
wrote in
:

Wild.

http://www.glumbert.com/media/flylow

Your tax dollars at work. :-(

What kind of planes are they? Doesn't look like MY tax dollars at work.

-c

Old January 2nd 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Riley

"gatt" wrote in message
Wild.

http://www.glumbert.com/media/flylow

Looks like the "zoomies" finally learned how to really fly--from Army
Aviators!!!! :-)))))))

Just kidding guys, typical inter service rivalry!! :-)))))))))

Paul
(retired Master Army Aviator)

Old January 2nd 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

I've done my share of low level high speed flying (B-52 340KTAS and B-1
540KTAS and higher)
and I've done my share of dodging low altitude GA aircraft (500-1000ft AGL)
I do not want to know how many I did not see, but those I did were far
enough to miss with a Level-S.

BT

Old January 2nd 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

gatt wrote:

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

On Tue, 2 Jan 2007 10:24:57 -0800, "gatt"
wrote in
:

Wild.

http://www.glumbert.com/media/flylow

Your tax dollars at work. :-(

What kind of planes are they? Doesn't look like MY tax dollars at work.

Those aren't your tax dollars. That's an old video and is from a
foreign country.

Old January 2nd 07, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Larry Dighera wrote:

Only the military is exempt from operations at speeds in excess of 250
knots below 10,000'.

That's not true.

91.117 Aircraft speed.

[snip]

(d) If the minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than
the maximum speed prescribed in this section, the aircraft may be operated at
that minimum speed.

And the USAF has its own rules which basically mirror the FAA requirements on
civilian aircraft wrt airspeed limits. Not that it's an exception rather than
an exemption.

SECRETARY OF THE AIR FORCE
AIR FORCE INSTRUCTION 11-202, VOLUME 3
Flying Operations
GENERAL FLIGHT RULES

5.7. Aircraft Speed.
5.7.1. Supersonic Flight. The PIC will not allow the aircraft to operate at or
above Mach l except as specified in AFI 13-201. Inadvertent flights above Mach
will be handled IAW AFI 13-201.

5.7.2. In the NAS. The PIC will:

5.7.2.1. Not allow their aircraft to exceed 250 knots indicated airspeed (KIAS)
below 10,000 ft. MSL unless the MAJCOM has approved a higher speed IAW paragraph
5.7.5., FAA Speed Authorization.

5.7.2.2. Not allow their aircraft to exceed 200 KIAS at or below 2,500 ft. AGL
within 4 NMs of the primary airport of a Class C or Class D airspace area unless
authorized or required by ATC, or required to maintain the minimum safe
maneuvering airspeed specified in the aircraft T.O.

5.7.2.3. Not allow their aircraft to exceed 200 KIAS in the airspace underlying
a Class B airspace area designated for an airport or in a VFR corridor
designated through Class B airspace area, unless required to maintain the
minimum safe maneuvering airspeed specified in the aircraft T.O.

[snip]

5.7.5. FAA Speed Authorization. The FAA recognizes that certain military
operations and training requirements cannot be met under the terms of the FAR
91.117, Aircraft Speed, and has therefore granted a speed authorization. The
authorization grants an exception to aircraft having flight characteristics that
preclude safe operations at speeds below 250 KIAS by providing that if the
minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum
speed prescribed, the aircraft may be operated at the minimum safe speed.

5.7.5.1. When the Authorization Applies. Air Force pilots may operate their
aircraft below 10,000 ft. MSL, within US airspace, in excess of 250 KIAS only
under the following conditions:

5.7.5.1.1. Within restricted areas.

5.7.5.1.2. Within Military Operating Areas (MOAs).

5.7.5.1.3. When operating within MAJCOM approved large-scale exercises or
short-term special missions.

5.7.5.1.4. Within published IFR MTRs.

5.7.5.1.5. Within published VFR MTRs. (Exception. Aircraft will not exceed 250
KIAS on SR routes)

5.7.5.1.6. Within defined areas or routes that have been coordinated and
concurred on by the proper MAJCOM and FAA regions, but have not yet been
published. This provision is intended to accommodate speed requirements on an
interim basis until the area/route can be published.

5.7.5.1.7. When the aircraft T.O. requires or recommends a higher speed in order
to maintain safe maneuverability. If the safe maneuvering airspeed in the T.O.
is listed as a range, fly the slowest speed practical in that range, based on
weight and configuration. This provision is primarily to accommodate
climbs/descents and terminal area operations.

NOTE: Airspeeds applicable to this exemption must be published in the aircraft
T.O. (Dash-1). A MAJCOM supplement or MDS specific Volume 3 does not constitute
the aircraft flight manual as referenced in the FAA exemption.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old January 2nd 07, 11:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

Larry Dighera wrote:

Your tax dollars at work. :-(

I'm with Gatt on this one. I very seriously doubt any of my tax dollars were
spent on the equipment in this video.

Do you think you could see-and-avoid military aircraft on a MTR?

Do you have an alternative to MTRs?

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/TknoFlyer

Old January 3rd 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
LWG

This video has been around for a while. The last go 'round I think the
consensus was that it was the South African airforce. I would still love it
even if it were my tax dollars. The only problem is it ain't me.

Old January 3rd 07, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 2-Jan-2007, "gatt" wrote:

What kind of planes are they? Doesn't look like MY tax dollars at work.

-c

Most of the jets in the video are Mirage F.1s and there is one quick scene
tpward the end of three Alpha Jets making a low pass over an airfield. A
lot of Air Forces in the world fly both types, but not the U.S.
Scott Wilson