Backup plates on PDA

Old December 8th 04, 07:15 PM
Rich Badaracco

I'm running it on an HP2215 with everything possible loaded on a storage
card. The application has been stable and seems to perform well. The screen
on the 2215 is a little bit on the small side but it's adequate. I upgraded
to the 2215 at the same time I ordered the WX from a 3650 which had a larger
screen and better readability in sunlight.

"Dan Luke" wrote in message

My question had more to do with what hardware Stan's running his on. I'm
using a Sony notebook pc, which has a superb display but is awkward to use

in
the airplane. The PDA's I've seen look too small and have resolution too
poor to tempt me. What are you using?

--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old December 9th 04, 04:53 AM
Stan Prevost

This is a communication with Seattle Avionics re their SmartPlates product.
A question was raised in this thread about their 5X download claims vs the
file size of the chart available on their website.

Stan,

Good question!

I checked, and the plate on our Website is directly from the FAA. With
SmartPlates, you have your choice of downloading the FAA plates directly or
our processed plates.

I can see where the source of that example on our Website isn't clear.
Originally, we had two paragraphs there, with the first describing in more
detail how the new FAA (actually now called "NACO", National Aeronautical
Charting Office)plates have been greatly improved over the last two years.
They used to have a bad reputation, but with the addition of colored
terrain, missed approach graphics, etc. they are now at least the equivalent
of Jepps.

For you to compare, attached is the same plate in our processed format. Not
as crisp, but a lot smaller. Ours range from 10K to 100k in size.

SmartPlates is a new product, and we are still trying different approaches
to compression. Using some new software we are working on, we think we will
be able to keep the same size we have now or smaller but with a crispness
near to the original NACOs.

Hope that helps. We want to earn you as a customer!

Best Regards,

Robert Hamilton

425-455-2209

Old December 9th 04, 05:10 AM
Stan Prevost

I got one cycle of the Sporty's approach charts and software ($10, very
quick delivery). It is a nice product for the desktop or laptop, but I
can't find any way to make it work on the iPAQ. Without the software to
access the database, the chart pdf files are useless because their names are
so cryptic.

So I guess now the choice is buying the Seattle Avionics software.

Stan

Old December 9th 04, 05:40 AM
Matt Young

I'm not familiar with the iPaq, but if it has a web browser that will
understand javascript, you can still use the sportys dvd. Program Files
Sportys Chart Viewer TPPCDVersion ByState.html is where it opens.

They are just web pages, pdfs adn some xml files that work with
javascript in the pages.

Old December 9th 04, 07:01 AM
Stan Prevost

Maybe it doesn't understand javascript. I can get ByState.html to run, but
I don't get the States listbox. If I click on the map, it exits.

ink.net...

Old December 9th 04, 08:20 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Matt Young said:
I'm not familiar with the iPaq, but if it has a web browser that will
understand javascript, you can still use the sportys dvd. Program Files
Sportys Chart Viewer TPPCDVersion ByState.html is where it opens.

They are just web pages, pdfs adn some xml files that work with
javascript in the pages.

I've tried this with a browser in Linux and after you click the state, you
never get the list of airports and cities. I always assumed this was
because they were relying on some back-end processor, but maybe they're
just using non-standard Javascript that doesn't work on anything other
than Internet Explorer and/or Windows?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
I am not a vegetarian because I love animals; I am a vegetarian
Old December 9th 04, 08:49 PM

www.myairplane.com sells approach plates for use with a PocketPc.
Decent prices as well.

Old December 10th 04, 02:02 AM
Stan Prevost

"Matt Young" wrote in message
nk.net...
Works fine in FireFox

Works fine in IE6 under WinXP, but not IE under WinCE.

Old December 10th 04, 02:42 AM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Matt Young said:
Works fine in FireFox

Not for me. I've tried FireFox on both Linux and Mac OS.

Ok, one thing: I've got the very first Sporty's DVD. Maybe the newer ones
work better?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
I haven't had any mail from my mother since her ISP ended up in the RBL.

data plates Del Rawlins Home Built 2 August 21st 04 10:34 PM
NACO approach plates J Haggerty Instrument Flight Rules 8 April 19th 04 04:04 AM
AVIATIONTOOLBOX: I've added your approach plates. Kyler Laird Instrument Flight Rules 20 April 19th 04 12:02 AM
Good AI backup, wish me luck Robert M. Gary Instrument Flight Rules 29 March 1st 04 05:36 PM
Solid State Backup AI Dan Truesdell Instrument Flight Rules 20 January 15th 04 09:53 PM