Request of info re Soaring in the Pyrenees

Old July 26th 12, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

Default Request of info re Soaring in the Pyrenees

On Friday, July 20, 2012 4:01:53 AM UTC+1, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 7/19/2012 8:55 AM, Tony Johnson wrote:
> I am a new member here and this is my first post.
>
> I would like to arrange to do some glider flying in europe,
> especially in the Pyrenees. I plan to visit Barcelona in April of next
> year, arriving by ship from the US. I understand that there is some
> good soaring about 250 km from Barcelona in the mountains near
> the French border.
>
> I would like to arrange to rent a glider and hire a local instructor for
> a little mountain flying instruction in the Pyrenees. While I am at it,
> I would not mind doing the same across the border in France as
> well.
>
> Any information that you could provide, or recommendations as to
> gliding clubs, areas to fly, accomodations etc would be appreciated.
> I should add that although I have been flying gliders for 30 years, I
> have only averaged an hour a year. I look to get back into
> soaring.

Perhaps the European Soaring Club, operated Brian and Gill Spreckley,
is still in business and flying out of Cerdanya in the Spanish Pyrenees.

email me)

The Spreckleys no longer operate in the Pyrhenees. However, as mentioned by another poster there is now a fully operating Spanish club at the excellent and well-equipped airfield they used to use - La Cerdanya, near Pucherda (my spelling is wrong) on the Spanish side of the border, Bourg Madame on the French side, and about 25 miles West of Andorra. The nearest village where there are several adequate hotels is Alp. The airield is in a long valley surrounded by mountains which give it a good microclimate, and with several airfields on the valley floor for safe landing options. I was there in March and would recommend it (though I have not flown with any of the Spanish instructors).