A REALLY bad joke

Old November 27th 06, 08:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default A REALLY bad joke

Greg B wrote:
"Steve Foley" wrote in message
Darkwing" theducksmailATyahoo.com wrote in message

One night driving to Florida my buddy was a sleep in the passenger seat
and I think we were the only vehicle in the area, I slammed on the brakes
(we both had belts on) and screamed! I laughed my ass off, he didn't
think it was near as funny, but I'm a huge dick.

A long time ago, I fell asleep whily my friend was driving. He locked up
the brakes on the highway and spun the car 360 degrees. I woke up in the
middle.

(More stupid people tricks..)

I had a passenger sleeping while I was following one of those large tow
trucks that was towing a semi-tractor by its tail. She woke up and screamed
at first until she realized we weren't on a collision course with the semi.
Sure startled me...

Some other stupid tricks

A friend liked to drive around bends rather fast.
One day I janked the parking brake from the passenger seat when half
way in a turn, that was fun.

Put the driver seat in the most forward position when (s)he is out for
fuelling or something.
While you are at it, turn the fan to max., turn on the wipers at full
speed and if the power for the radio is switched on by the key put the
volume on max. Fun if the key is turned.
And do not forget to off set the rear view mirrors.

When waiting for traffic lights put the car in neutral without the
driver noticing, works best with manual gear.

-Kees.

Old November 27th 06, 12:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Timmay

Dale wrote:
Hauling skydivers. I took an extra yoke along stuffed next to my seat.
After we'd been climbing awhile I told the guy next to me to be quiet as
I got the extra yoke out of hiding. I let out the expected "Oh S*&^" as
I wiggled the rudder a little and handed the yoke to the folks in back
as if mine had come off.

That reminds me of a Far Side comic I saw once where the pilot was
about to hit the "Wings Fall Off" button by mistake. Classic!

Old November 27th 06, 12:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 01:20:13 GMT, "studentPPSEL" wrote
in h3rah.379150$5R2.273310@pd7urf3no:

A good well placed joke always reminds me of how funny life can be.

Flying is a serious matter. Showing off and clowning are not
appropriate in the air. It takes an airman a few hundred hours to
appreciate his responsibility to his passengers and those over whom he
operates. You'll learn.

Old November 27th 06, 12:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

Larry Dighera wrote:

Flying is a serious matter.

Absolutely!

Showing off and clowning are not
appropriate in the air.

Big difference between the two, and there are certainly times when
either can be extremely dangerous. However, there are plenty of times
when a giggle aloft is perfectly safe. The safety is the details.

It takes an airman a few hundred hours to
appreciate his responsibility to his passengers and those over whom he
operates. You'll learn.

Apparently you've never read any of Captain Dave Gwinn's columns.
Old November 27th 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 12:23:58 GMT, B A R R Y
wrote in :

Apparently you've never read any of Captain Dave Gwinn's columns.

No, but I've read quite a few NTSB reports.

Writing about aviation jokes, or including comedic content in an
aviation related lecture, a la Rod Machado, is often entertaining. But
the aerial practical jokester does his fellow airman a disservice in
the eyes of the non-flying public, and sets a poor example for novice
airmen.
Old November 27th 06, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug[_1_]

It's not JUST safety. The joke may be perfectly safe. But small
aircraft ARE dangerous and it's normal to worry somewhat about one's
safety while aboard. I always felt it was my job as captain to make my
passengers feel MORE safe, not less safe. Sure, ANYONE can scare a
passenger. Frankly if someone pulled one of these stunts on me, I'd
probably desert him as a friend and associate. These stunts have no
place in an airplane. Get your kicks some other way.

Old November 27th 06, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Timmay" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dale wrote:
Hauling skydivers. I took an extra yoke along stuffed next to my seat.
After we'd been climbing awhile I told the guy next to me to be quiet as
I got the extra yoke out of hiding. I let out the expected "Oh S*&^" as
I wiggled the rudder a little and handed the yoke to the folks in back
as if mine had come off.

That reminds me of a Far Side comic I saw once where the pilot was
about to hit the "Wings Fall Off" button by mistake. Classic!

A freind of mine always says 'oops - wing bolt' when the OJ vent cans fall
out of his Cessna.

Old November 27th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Larry Dighera writes:

Flying is a serious matter. Showing off and clowning are not
appropriate in the air.

Agreed. It's a bit like a doctor making jokes to a patient about
whether or not he'll survive an upcoming operation.

Old November 27th 06, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

"GB" == Greg B writes:

GB I had a passenger sleeping while I was following one of those
GB large tow trucks that was towing a semi-tractor by its
GB tail. She woke up and screamed at first until she realized we
GB weren't on a collision course with the semi. Sure startled
GB me...

I had a kid scream a few seconds before landing in a C182 "we're going
to crash!!!" I remember thinking, humm, I don't think my landings are
that bad, does he see another plane??...then I realized he wasn't used
to the sight angle out the front of a Cessna in a steep descent with
40 degrees flaps.

I've had other pax ask if something is wrong when the throttle is
pulled back on downwind.

An instructor told me that one time slipping a plane to landing, his
wife thought they were going to crash.

Makes you realize that what to pilots are perfectly normal things, to
pax may be their last moments.

--
"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver error."
Old November 27th 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Never say, "Fasten your seat belts, we're going down."
Better say, "Fasten your seatbelt, I'm getting ready to
land." even if you're going down.