Tankers

Old November 19th 03, 05:50 AM
WaltBJ

Default Tankers

I started a new thread after seeing the tail end of the 'Boeing
Boondoggle'.
Sheesh! I gave up trying to make sesne of it - life's too short for us
geezers.
Let's posit that 43 year old airframes need to be turned into post and
pans. Anyone holding the opposite view should be invited to go along
on a max load sortie preferably including a TSTM penetration.
One number I recall from my Air Florida days - we chartered two
DC10-30s at 17,000 dollars a day, dry - each. 6,205,000 a year - each.
Those were 1983 dollars, too. I suppose the constant dollar factor
would kick that number up at least double. So, 12 mill a bird a year?
Does that constitute a boondoggle or an honest cost? I see a 737-800
is now about 62 million FAF price. Maybe some honest accountant can
put a real honest appraisal on the deal minus all the heat and
bloviation and BS. But let's do something before the airframes start
falling apart - as they will if we keep muddling along. just like the
KB50s, B47s, F86s, A26s, C130s, F105s and F4s did. Or, hell, we can
save a lot of money by just flying what we got and paying survivor
benefits as needed. (That's 'irony', in case you missed English 102.)
Walt BJ
Old November 19th 03, 08:01 PM
Tarver Engineering

"WaltBJ" wrote in message
om...

snip
Maybe some honest accountant can
put a real honest appraisal on the deal minus all the heat and
bloviation and BS. But let's do something before the airframes start
falling apart - as they will if we keep muddling along. just like the
KB50s, B47s, F86s, A26s, C130s, F105s and F4s did.

Noise regulations put some pretty harsh restrictions on where 707s can go
and that led directly to there becomming beer cans. Buying a lift fairy for
a KC-135 can get pretty expensive in that market.

Or, hell, we can
save a lot of money by just flying what we got and paying survivor
benefits as needed. (That's 'irony', in case you missed English 102.)

Sarcasim.