SSA Convention ideas

Old February 2nd 10, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

Default SSA Convention ideas

I agree with the sentiment that every two years is too long.

How about choosing a location near the middle of the country to host
the convention for at least three years running? I'm told by experts
on the subject booking three years running opens the possibility of
big discounts for the floor space which might mean cheaper display
booths. It could be moved to a new location every three years or so.

The EAA has great attendance at it's shows in part because they are
always at the same location. (Oshkosh is always at Oshkosh.) That
way people can plan years ahead. Another reason for the EAA success
is that they all feature flying demonstrations.

To allow flight demonstrations, the convention would have to be at an
airport and I have no clue where that would be although someone
mentioned the US Air Force Academy.

Finally, why late January when bad weather is likely? I'm pretty sure
some people didn't make it to Little Rock because of the weather. The
folks with trailers must have faced a road nightmare. Would it make
sense to schedule the convention for late October or early March when
benign weather is more probable?
Old February 2nd 10, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

How about choosing a location near the middle of the country....

Little Rock is pretty near the middle of the country, but I agree
about the timing. The reason I didn't make it was a business trip to
that general area was postponed because of the prolonged bad weather.

How about Southern Arizona or Southern California? It could be cool
and wet, but we can pretty much guarantee there won't be snow and ice.

Mike
Old February 2nd 10, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Feb 2, 3:13*pm, bildan wrote:
[...]

The weather does of the tendency to suck in the winter-time but one
nice thing about a winter convention is it gets me excited about the
upcoming season. I notice on OLC that there seemed to be a fair
amount of flying in Tuscon and at Warner Springs last weekend.

I was really dissapointed that the board voted down an annual
convention.
Old February 2nd 10, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Mara

someone is echoing my remarks!
I've been suggesting this for years..haven't spoken to anyone (until now I'm
sure ) that doesn't think we need a big change in the way we do
conventions.and FWIW the way the SSA is and has been for the past ..
Do these conventions at an airport......I can give you several examples of
places suitable...get out of downtown convention centers..go where pilots
like to go...how about at the beginning of or end of Sun-N-Fun or
Oshkosh....find a satellite airport nearby and hire a bus company to run a
shuttle between these events (bus would be filled both ways..and we expose
general aviation pilots with soaring....(new blood?)..central
Florida..Seminole Lake a few days before or after the seniors....near
Disney, great restaurants, lots of tourist attractions (get along with the
spouse and kids?? be a hero with the family.bad idea?) ....and most of
all....conventions are good for showing off new stuff..but what about other
stuff.....why not combine this with a USED glider sales lot? buyer and
sellers all have a place to show and find all in one location...even have an
auction? got a glider to get rid of and need a tax deduction? donate the
proceeds to ..get this......not just the SSA but you can choose to donate
the proceeds to any cause..heck give the money to Haitian relief effort if
you want....or for that matter, a not-for-profit (read: Glider Club of your
choice)...I am certain we have talented tax accountants among us that can
show us how to do just this.....have a flea market for those who want to
sell their old equipment.....they too can donate of use the proceeds to pay
for their trip and lodging at the convention....so many ideas.we just need a
forum to make this happen...
think about it....
Tim Mara
Please visit the Wings & Wheels website at www.wingsandwheels.com

signature database 4829 (20100202) __________

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4829 (20100202) __________

http://www.eset.com

Old February 2nd 10, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vontresc

I won't claim it as my idea, but someone mentioned in another SSA
convention thread that it would be a good idea to hold it the weekend
before the seniors contest in FL. A lot of folks are already going to
be there, and if Don comes down to FL again, some of us could go
winching. Maybe we could hold the "Symposium" that was discussed down
there.

Pete
Old February 3rd 10, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

On 2/2/2010 6:04 PM, vontresc wrote:
I won't claim it as my idea, but someone mentioned in another SSA
convention thread that it would be a good idea to hold it the weekend
before the seniors contest in FL. A lot of folks are already going to
be there, and if Don comes down to FL again, some of us could go
winching. Maybe we could hold the "Symposium" that was discussed down
there.

Pete

Naples / Ft. Myers would be great. Good airline connections to most of
the country. Great diversions for the family. And WARM weather!!!!!

--
Mike Schumann

Garmin 596 Ideas john smith Piloting 32 August 5th 06 01:32 PM
pc ideas? derFlieger Simulators 3 May 5th 05 11:26 PM
CO mystery - any ideas? Andrew Gideon Owning 24 November 20th 04 05:16 PM
ideas for fun contests at fly-ins Hoot Piloting 9 April 30th 04 10:58 AM
GPS Ideas RD Piloting 24 December 12th 03 10:53 AM