View US Airports and Contest Turnpoints in Google Earth

Old February 4th 10, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Default View US Airports and Contest Turnpoints in Google Earth

All,

I've added support for Google Earth .KML files to the interactive
turnpoint file generator on my website. You can now upload a
turnpoint file for a contest site (from the Worldwide Soaring
Turnpoint Exchange) and download a .KML file that can be opened with
Google Earth showing those turnpoints merged with current FAA airport
information. Or just pick a location and show surrounding airports
without uploading a turnpoint file.

Previously supported file formats on my website include .CUP (for
SeeYou, SeeYou Mobile, Strepla, etc.), Cambridge .DAT (for Cambridge
and others), .NDB for the ILEC SN-10, and .STX (for ClearNAV and
others). There is also a discussion on how to generate turnpoints
that can be uploaded into generic Garmin GPS units.

The source of the airport data is the FAA's National Airspace System
Resource files (NASR). It is current, free, and freely
redistributable. Note that in the case of contest turnpoints, I
always use the geographical location from the uploaded contest
turnpoint file in preference to the FAA''s published location.

I've added an easier to use internet address for my site. It can now
be found at:

http://www.soaringdata.info

Or you can continue to use my previously published address:

http://www.xmission.com/~lalley/aviation/

Happy downloading!

Lynn Alley
"2KA"

Old February 4th 10, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Oh,and I forgot to say that each airport in the output KML file is
extensively annotated with information about runway length and surface
type, obstructions, fuel availability, etc.

If you have any difficulties feel free to email me directly with
questions. There is also an email link on the website itself.

L.
Old February 4th 10, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Lynn,

Way cool!

Thank you very much for the awesome free resource for glider pilots!

Paul Remde

"2KA" wrote in message
[...]

Google Earth Terrain view Brad[_2_] Soaring 7 August 3rd 09 08:43 AM
Saw This On Google Earth John[_1_] Naval Aviation 3 January 27th 08 12:25 AM
convert turnpoints to KML for google earth? chris Soaring 4 January 15th 08 10:56 PM
Google Earth Frank Whiteley Soaring 3 November 16th 07 12:36 AM
Region 6 contest turnpoints? kirk.stant Soaring 0 June 7th 07 07:14 PM