Any details on Nephi incident?

Old June 27th 18, 07:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Wedgwood[_2_]

Default Any details on Nephi incident?

Relieved to hear you are still with us Dave. Best wishes for your recovery.

Old June 27th 18, 07:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 1:45:40 AM UTC+1, Dave Nadler wrote:
First thanks to all for copious sympathy emails, texts, and calls.
Passenger is AOK, and I'll be absolutely fine though I'm banged up.
I am really not sure what went wrong and would prefer to refrain from speculation.
NTSB will work with LBA to try establish what happened, and it will take time,
after they find the pieces.

We were very fortunate to be 9,000 above terrain when things went south,
and needed all of it. Strong round chutes performed perfectly despite my
deployment face-up.

PLEASE review how you've attached your trackers to your chutes.
My Inreach was in the nice pouch supplied by Strong, unfortunately closed with velcro. Unhappily it was no longer in the pouch when I touched down.
Plastic clip-ons, velcro, or other light fastener will NOT survive
the violence of this kind of exit. No ELT either.

Thanks again for all the support, really appreciated.
Best Regards, Dave

As an older pilot with some mobility issues, I've been concerned about exiting a broken glider that might be creating extra difficulty through rotation or attitude as well as locating the parachute release after losing my glasses.

I'd wondered about devices that assist exit as well as a static line. Any thoughts you'd like to share, Dave?

Mike
Old June 27th 18, 09:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I had a very similar experience in Namibia in 2016, but with an Nimbus 4DM.

It will be interesting to have the Schempp-Hirtz position….

The main problem to extract from the front place is due to the slippering surface for the shoes and so I just push with my arms.
Old June 27th 18, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, June 27, 2018 at 9:38:09 AM UTC+1, wrote:
I had a very similar experience in Namibia in 2016, but with an Nimbus 4DM.

It will be interesting to have the Schempp-Hirtz position….

The main problem to extract from the front place is due to the slippering surface for the shoes and so I just push with my arms.

I fitted into the front foot-well of a Duo the same ridged foot-grip pads that are fitted by the factory for the rear pilot for exactly that reason.
Old June 27th 18, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

DG makes a NOAH system. https://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/en/lib...ilout_aid-noah The site says the NOAH is also available for many SH and AS gliders. Not sure which ones but I have seen both a ventus 2 and ASG 29 with NOAH systems. Literature says it adds 3.5 kg.
Old June 29th 18, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, June 26, 2018 at 6:45:40 PM UTC-6, Dave Nadler wrote:
[...]

How about a shout out to the rigger who packed those Strong rigs whoever he or she may be? Always appreciate your rigger folks. Their skill and attention to detail can help with the quick openings these rigs are designed to provide. They can surely assist in a positive outcome like this one. And if you've never pulled your parachute ripcord, next repack ask your rigger if you can don your rig and pull. He/she is going to pull it anyway. you might as well feel it for yourself. Glad everyone is safe.
Snackmaster
Old June 29th 18, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Skydive tradition is you get your rigger his prefferred bottle of booze after using his reserve pack job.
Old June 30th 18, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

This seems a 2 bottle event. With parachutes, it is generally good form not to share, that is to have one per pilot.

Aside from the how to attach the PLB lesson, perhaps another is to rethink the 'P' in PLB. The same no sharing rule might be useful here.

Old June 30th 18, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

Have they recovered the glider, yet?
Old June 23rd 19, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It will be one year in a couple days. Any further news on the cause of the rudder failure?

Going to Nephi? Paul Remde Soaring 6 June 26th 15 05:22 AM
New Video From Nephi and Update on 2014 Nephi Events [email protected] Soaring 1 June 5th 14 03:27 AM
Nephi wrap-up Tim Taylor Soaring 20 February 8th 14 02:28 PM
Nephi, UT Kevin Christner Soaring 4 February 3rd 14 09:18 PM
KS Duo at Nephi Karl Striedieck[_2_] Soaring 0 January 9th 14 02:18 AM