What are cowl flaps?

Old October 24th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default What are cowl flaps?

What are cowl flaps for, and how are they used? The name implies that
they are some sort of aerodynamic control surface, but they don't
appear to have any aerodynamic effects. In simulation, they are doors
on the bottom of the engine nacelles that open for some unclear
purpose (I see what looks like exhaust pipes or something inside).
What do they do, and why do I have a control for opening and closing
them? This is on a Baron 58, the aircraft I usually fly in
simulation.

Old October 24th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gary Drescher

http://stoenworks.com/Tutorials/Cowl...ngine%20C.html

Old October 24th 06, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ron Natalie

Mxsmanic wrote:
What are cowl flaps for, and how are they used? The name implies that
they are some sort of aerodynamic control surface, but they don't
appear to have any aerodynamic effects. In simulation, they are doors
on the bottom of the engine nacelles that open for some unclear
purpose (I see what looks like exhaust pipes or something inside).
What do they do, and why do I have a control for opening and closing
them? This is on a Baron 58, the aircraft I usually fly in
simulation.

They control cooling air through the engine cowls. They are flap
shaped "valves" if you want on the outflow of the cooling air.
When open, you get more cooling air but that also means more
drag. In my plane, I can get another five to ten knots when
I close them. I take-off and climb with them open and close
them at cruise.
Old October 24th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Wade Hasbrouck

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
What are cowl flaps for, and how are they used? The name implies that
they are some sort of aerodynamic control surface, but they don't
appear to have any aerodynamic effects. In simulation, they are doors
on the bottom of the engine nacelles that open for some unclear
purpose (I see what looks like exhaust pipes or something inside).
What do they do, and why do I have a control for opening and closing
them? This is on a Baron 58, the aircraft I usually fly in
simulation.

They are not aerodynamic control surfaces... They are for regulating engine
temperature under certain power/speed combinations...

From Wikipedia...

If the aircraft is equipped with adjustable Cowl Flaps:

Cowl Flap Position Control - Cowl Flaps are opened during high power/low
airspeed operations like takeoff to maximize the volume of cooling airflow
over the engine's cooling fins.
Cylinder Head Temperature Gauge - Indicates the tempertaure of all cylinder
heads or on a single CHT system, the hottest head. A Cylinder Head
Temperature Gauge has a much shorter response time than the oil temperature
gauge, so it can alert the pilot to a developing cooling issue more quickly.
Engine overheating may be caused by:
Running too long at a high power setting.
Poor leaning technique
Restricting the volume of cooling airflow too much.
Insufficient delivery of lubricating oil to the engine's moving parts.

Old October 24th 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
tjd

I went to a restaurant and they had these things called "flapjacks".
I'm so confused, are they some sort of aerodynamic device as the name
implies, or something you use to hold up the airplane while you change
those little black round things (Sorry I can't remember the name of
those!)? And what are they doing on a menu? How could I possibly
answer this question without annoying a large number of people? I
tried typing "flapjacks" into my Google simulator because I'm too
scared of the actual Google. But my computer crashed, imagine what the
real Google might have done!

--
Transpose my head and my butt to reach me by email.

Old October 24th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Gary Drescher writes:

http://stoenworks.com/Tutorials/Cowl...ngine%20C.html

Thanks, that's quite a comprehensive description.

It amazes me how much engine junk one is expected to worry about on
small aircraft. I'm also amazed that the engines are still
air-cooled.

Old October 24th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Ron Natalie writes:

They control cooling air through the engine cowls. They are flap
shaped "valves" if you want on the outflow of the cooling air.
When open, you get more cooling air but that also means more
drag. In my plane, I can get another five to ten knots when
I close them. I take-off and climb with them open and close
them at cruise.

Do you do this more or less routinely, or do you actually look at the
engine temperatures to see when to open or close them? I get the
impression that it's not a super-critical item except in a few
circumstances.

Old October 24th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Gary Drescher

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Gary Drescher writes:

http://stoenworks.com/Tutorials/Cowl...ngine%20C.html

Thanks, that's quite a comprehensive description.

You're welcome. (It's the first page that comes up if you google "cowl
flaps".)

Stuck cowl flap cable Jim Burns Owning 7 March 24th 05 02:07 PM
Archer Cowl needs work - Advice? Bob Chilcoat Home Built 26 March 4th 05 02:26 AM
M14 Radial Cowl Parts Dan Horton Home Built 0 January 26th 05 05:18 PM
757 flaps miss-aligned in cruise AnyBody43 General Aviation 1 April 2nd 04 01:01 AM
Flaps and V-Tails of Death Wallace Berry Soaring 59 November 26th 03 09:54 PM