Tow Cars

Old March 5th 10, 07:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
P9

Default Tow Cars

My 16 year old Saab 9-3 hatchback is beginning to show its age. Does
anyone have experience towing a standard class or 15m ship in a Cobra,
Avionic or similar trailer with any of the following cars:

Subaru Outback Sport (NOT the Outback)

Subaru WRX

Honda Crosstour

Thanks,

P9
Old March 5th 10, 07:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Yes. My 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX has made for a _very_ nice tow-
vehicle, as well as an enjoyable sporty daily commuter car. :-) I
used to race in the SCCA and couldn't bear to have a minivan or truck
for my vehicle, and the WRX has been great at meeting both needs.

In 2009 I towed my glider (DG-300 inside a metal 1980's Cobra trailer)
from Seattle, WA to Warner Springs, CA and back (a 2500 mile round-
trip) with no problems. I also tow the glider a few times a year back
and forth between Seattle, WA and Ephrata, WA (across one of two
mountain passes). The WRX handles both acceleration and braking just
fine (trailer does have a surge brake), and has been tested at speeds
upwards of 80mph (don't ask).

I typically see 20 - 21mpg when commuting (partially due to the Turbo
and my driving style, as a former race-car driver). When towing I get
around 18mpg.

There are 3 not-so-great things about the WRX:
1) Up until the latest model, the rear seats don't fold down - so you
can't combine the back seats and trunk space into one large cargo
area.
2) If you're tall (I'm 6'1"), the moonroof lowers the ceiling enough
that you'll brush your hair on it constantly.
3) The seats on many of the WRX models through the years are not great
for your posture or lower back. I slightly injured my back at the
California contest lifting wings and flying for a week; then drove
1200 miles home - further damaging my back due to the seat
configuration. I had to take some time off flying and do some
physical therapy to get back to 100%. :-(

Now that my back is better I still enjoy the car, but am leery of
taking it on multi-day hauls because of the stress it puts on my lower
back.

Hope this info helps!

Take care,

--Noel

Old March 5th 10, 07:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

P.S. Although I love my WRX, I'm debating whether to get a different
vehicle (due to my back, my height, and a desire to have folding rear
seats)... So if someone is enamored of them and wants to make a
serious offer, my ears are open. :-)
Old March 5th 10, 08:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
P9

Thanks,

I am the club land out champion. Do you find the 6 inch ground
clearance (vs 8.3 for my Saab) to be a problem?
Old March 5th 10, 11:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
T8

On Mar 5, 2:03*am, P9 wrote:
My 16 year old Saab 9-3 hatchback is beginning to show its age. *Does
anyone have experience towing a standard class or 15m ship in a Cobra,
Avionic or similar trailer with any of the following cars:

Subaru Outback Sport *(NOT the Outback)

Subaru WRX

Honda Crosstour

Thanks,

P9

157K(miles) on an 04 WRX hatchback. Maybe 15K towing various Komets
and Cobras w/ and w/o brakes. No issues.

-Evan Ludeman / T8
Old March 5th 10, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
qflyer1

On Mar 5, 2:03*am, P9 wrote:
My 16 year old Saab 9-3 hatchback is beginning to show its age. *Does
anyone have experience towing a standard class or 15m ship in a Cobra,
Avionic or similar trailer with any of the following cars:

Subaru Outback Sport *(NOT the Outback)

Subaru WRX

Honda Crosstour

Thanks,

P9

My Outback worked fine.

Tim
Old March 6th 10, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Mar 5, 12:51*am, P9 wrote:
Thanks,

I am the club land out champion. *Do you find the 6 inch ground
clearance (vs 8.3 for my Saab) to be a problem?

No, but I haven't done any "4x4" driving for retrieves - just into the
occasional fallow field. No problems so far!

--Noel

airport cars Kobra[_3_] Piloting 24 September 16th 08 04:17 AM
airport cars Kobra[_3_] Owning 24 September 16th 08 04:17 AM
1945 CARS Paul Tomblin Piloting 4 March 7th 08 12:13 AM
Tow cars and trailers Paul Austin Soaring 0 May 23rd 07 09:21 PM
Air cars ? Felger Carbon Home Built 9 January 3rd 04 07:41 AM