Bad Spot URL in Glideport

Old June 1st 20, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Z15

Default Bad Spot URL in Glideport

Trying to get a club member's SPOT registered with glideport. I keep getting the message "Bad URL" when I paste his publicly available shared URL into the list of available trackers. Also tried pasting it to his account on the SSA as a belt and suspenders approach, but we're still not seeing a trace..

I've been told that Spot changed some format and there is rumor of a workaround? Anyone have info on this?

Old June 25th 20, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 3:03:27 PM UTC-7, Z15 wrote:
Trying to get a club member's SPOT registered with glideport. I keep getting the message "Bad URL" when I paste his publicly available shared URL into the list of available trackers. Also tried pasting it to his account on the SSA as a belt and suspenders approach, but we're still not seeing a trace.

I've been told that Spot changed some format and there is rumor of a workaround? Anyone have info on this?

Yes, I just figured it out the hard way! The "shared page" no longer works for the glider tracker, instead you have to create an XML link. Then embed it in the following URL:

share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=09zinCBIVfVFEcsbxqddrCIFbMlqMPx xx
where the example starting with 09z is replaced by your own XML link. This has to be a separate link with a different title than your shared page. Here is how to get your XML number:-
1) log in to findmespot.com
2)Maps
3)History mode
4)Manage (little lines with check marks icon)
5)Shared Views
6) Add shared view
7) Make a shared view with a different tile such as MYXMLFeed
9) XML Feed
10) View Details on MYXMLFeed
11) The XML Feed ID should be displayed. Copy and paste it, append it to the text
share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=
and you are good to go.
Worked for me!!
Duncan
Old June 26th 20, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Sometimes a SPOT will work for years with glideport, then sudenly stop working. This is because if glideport ever has a communication difficulty with SPOT, it automatically deletes that particular XML feed as a safety precaution. The fix is to make another XML feed on your SPOT account, then register this new feed on glideport. There is a way to test your XML feed, simply go to this URL:-
https://api.findmespot.com/spot-main...x/message.json
with your own XML Feed ID. If you get an error message then there is something wrong with the feed, contact SPOT. If you get position fixes but glideport does not display your SPOT, then make a new XML feed and register the new feed with SPOT. Each new feed typically lasts several years, and you can delete obsolete ones on the SPOT site.

Duncan
Old August 21st 20, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jay Mazure

On Friday, June 26, 2020 at 11:06:38 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Sometimes a SPOT will work for years with glideport, then sudenly stop working. This is because if glideport ever has a communication difficulty with SPOT, it automatically deletes that particular XML feed as a safety precaution. The fix is to make another XML feed on your SPOT account, then register this new feed on glideport. There is a way to test your XML feed, simply go to this URL:-
https://api.findmespot.com/spot-main...x/message.json
with your own XML Feed ID. If you get an error message then there is something wrong with the feed, contact SPOT. If you get position fixes but glideport does not display your SPOT, then make a new XML feed and register the new feed with SPOT. Each new feed typically lasts several years, and you can delete obsolete ones on the SPOT site.

Duncan

Duncan,

Thanks for posting this. I never had my spot registered on the old page. Using your info I was able to get my spot to function properly and show up on ssa tracker. Many thanks!
Jay / XE Mini Nimbus - Minden Tahoe