Best dogfight gun?

Old December 8th 03, 07:40 PM
WaltBJ

The SUU23 pod gun on the F4 centerline would pull the nose down - the
pipper would start to move down on the target about half a second
after firing began, but it was easily compensated with a little aft
pressure in the stick. I once fired a 3-second burst (doing a little
pre-combat research) beginning at 4500 feet from the ground target
(acoustic scorer) and scored 100 hits. FWIW the pod gun's dispersion
was such that it would make a good 'shotgun' for the
knife fight'. The SUU23's shot pattern was about 8 mils in elevation
and about 10 in azimuth; still a pretty concentrated pattern at 100
yards - the length of an American football field, and a familiar
distance to most US fighter pilots.
The 366th Wing at Danang had an F4E (call sign Chico) with two
wing-mounted SUU23s plus the nose gun. It was hogged by the 0-6s who
took it out on troops-in-contact calls. Would have made a heck of a
dog fighter because you could take any kind of shot with a good chance
of a kill - including those hairy head-on passes.
Walt BJ
Old December 8th 03, 08:48 PM
Tony Volk

Superior avionics do not make a superior pilot.

Certainly not, but all else equal, they make a superior weapons system!

The A-10 uses three different A-A sights, and these sights use pilot

inputs
of enemy aircraft airspeed, wingspan, and fuselage length. These inputs

are
usually set up pre-mission (they can be set in the air as well, just
time-consuming) and the pilot can cycle through the presets in flight.

All
three sights are displayed on the HUD at the same time.
A-10 pilots who go through weapons school and get to shoot at the dart
(towed target) say the gun is deadly accurate out to the A-A tac effective
range, which is a lot farther than an M61A1. Granted, it's not a
maneuvering target, but it does prove the sight(s) works.

My take on this would be that you're using gun sights that are 40's-50's
era in their accuracy against maneuvering targets. I would think that would
put you at a serious disadvantaged (especially when couple with the lower
a-a training of attack pilots vs. fighter pilots). How flexible would the
preprogrammed sites be for fighting a Viper vs. a Turkey or Eagle (with much
larger wingspans and lengths- or a Mig-29 vs. Su-27)? Also, assuming he'd
be slashing from the vertical, what would that do to lessen the range
difference (his bullets with gravity, yours against?).
I appreciate that a good pilot is worth more than a
super-duper-great-jet, and I also appreciate that there are circumstances
when a Hog could be a nasty opponent. I just think that against an equally
good pilot in a fighter jet, the Hog would be in serious trouble. But
that's just an opinion from an armchair pilot with no time under his ass in
either a Hog or a fighter. Thanks for your comments Hog Driver, they're
most appreciated. Regards,

Tony Volk

p.s.- 74th squadron or not, all Hogs should have shark mouths (or hog
tusks)!

Old December 8th 03, 11:13 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Hog Driver
writes
Old December 9th 03, 12:29 AM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Alan Minyard
writes
Much better to go with an M-61 variant that actually works, is combat proven,
and has a useful rate of fire.

Trouble is, this gets you back where the US was in 1950; the M3 .50" was
a superb gun in terms of reliability, ballistics and rate of fire and
was a thoroughly proven weapon. Trouble is, nobody convinced the MiG-15s
of that fact, so they soaked up a _lot_ of hits where a larger-calibre
weapon would have made the F-86 versus MiG-15 kill ratio even _more_
impressive.

Old December 9th 03, 12:37 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message
In message , Hog Driver
writes
I think we both know that the possibility of air-to-air gun fighting

today
is highly unlikely. Lessons learned from the past would behoove us to

have
them on our jets, or in the case of the A-10, use them to really screw up
the bad guys on the ground.

I hate to be contrarian... all right, I don't. I _like_ being
contrarian. Lessons from the past suggest that getting missiles working
and crews trained is a better path to dead enemies for air-to-air work.
Air-to-ground, guns pull you into IR-SAM range and even for A-10s that
isn't healthy.

Paul, doing away with a tool from your kit without a compelling reason to do
so, along with having a danged foolproof method of handling the situations
that said tool could handle, is unwise. As to air-to-ground use, I believe
the resident Strike Eagle driver has already provided a reason for retaining
a strafe capability, i.e., recent operations in Afghanistan. During Anaconda
the need for up-close-and-personal support (read that as well within the
danger-close margin) was reported. You can't *always* use your LGB's or
JDAM's, which is why the grunts liked the cannon armed aircraft during that
fight. Yes, it brings the air in within MANPADS range--but that is a risk
those guys are willing to accept when the fight on the ground gets hairy
(and thank goodness for that). Arguing that they can't (or never should)
face such a risk is a bit illogical--if all services followed that thought
process, we'd stop issuing rifles to infantrymen because in order to use one
you have to close to within the effective range of the other guy's weapons.

[...]

But there are tasks for which that bayonet is oh-so-much better than say, an
M16A2 with state-of-the-art night optics. I saw a fair amount of peanut
butter spread with bayonets; had we had to use our M16's for that it would
have been rather messy. Now that is I admit a rather extreme example, but
again it points out the wisdom of retaining those tools we have even in the
face of longer ranged/more lethal options.

Brooks

snip

Old December 9th 03, 01:53 AM
Tony Williams

"Hog Driver" wrote in message ...
"Ron" wrote in message
Smart A-10
driver won't continue uphill, instead try to keep tally and get a circle

of
hogs going.

Exactly what one of my Viper friends was faced with, going up against some
Battle Creek A-10s....Never was able to get a shot off

I have some great guncamera footage of an A-10 saddling up on a Viper who
had two full bags of gas and decided to stick with the Hog and slow
down...the A-10 driver was also tuned into the F-16s VHF air-air freq, and
the Viper driver says, "I don't believe it...I'm about to get gunned by a
Hog!" Sure enough, a few seconds later guns-track-kill by the Hog on the
floundering Viper.

Incidentally, a three-barrel lightweight version of the GAU-8/A was
developed, firing the same ammo at 2,000 rpm. It was known as the CHAG
(compact, high-performance aircraft gun IIRC) and would I expect have
been fitted to modern fighters instead of the M61 if the gun had
remained more important in air combat.

Tony Williams
Military gun and ammunition website: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
Discussion forum at: http://forums.delphiforums.com/autogun/messages/
Old December 9th 03, 02:02 AM
Tony Williams

Scott Ferrin wrote in message . ..
On 8 Dec 2003 03:59:15 -0800, (Tony
Williams) wrote:

"Tony Volk" wrote in message ...
I have been setting up some scenaries with the LO-MAC "Lock On- Modern Air
Combat" Sim/Game,
involving A-10s vs Su27/33, and it often is not too pretty for the Su's in

head on merge..The A-10s gun does a good job of reaching out and touching
someone But if the Su survives that, then the A-10 is at a bad
disadvantage.

I have to get that game myself, but it brings up an important point.
What are the avionics behind the gun? I'd imagine that an A-10 would lack
an accurate a-a mode for aiming its gun. The same thing applies to the
other guns mentioned in the debate. A gun's merits are important, but they
don't mean squat if it's impossible to hit anything with it! The
laser-rangefinders on the latest Russian jets (e.g., Su-27 series, Mig-29
too I believe) stand out as an excellent example of using superior avionics
to make a gun more effective. Anything similar on the Rafale, Grippen,
Raptor?

I understand that the SAAB Viggen armed with Oerlikon KCA has an
'AutoAim' system which effectively takes over the autopilot and aims
the plane at the designated target to ensure that the gun is properly
aimed. This enables engagement at up to 3,000m in a head-on attack.

From what I've read (albeit it was years ago) the KCA hits damn near
as hard as the GAU-8. It just doesn't have the rate of fire.

The 30x173 cartridge for the GAU-8/A was actually 'borrowed' from the
KCA, the most obvious difference being that the KCA's ammo is
steel-cased rather than aluminium alloy. The power of the HE rounds is
exactly the same. The KCA was adopted by the USA as the GAU-9/A, in
case the 8A failed (the A-10 would have had two KCAs).

As I've posted elsewhere on this thread, as well as the podded
four-barrel GAU-13/A version of the GAU-8/A, a lightweight
three-barrel CHAG version in 30x173 was also produced, firing at 2,000
rpm. That would have been interesting....

It's worth noting that the current Russian 30x165 ammo isn't that much
less powerful than the 30x173, and they do make a six-barrel rotary,
the GSh-6-30, which fires at 5,000 rpm and weighs only 160kg (M61 =
114 kg, GAU-8/A = 281 kg). If you really want bang for your buck, you
can't do much better than that, but the Russians only ever fitted it
to the MiG-27 for ground-attack.

Old December 9th 03, 03:43 AM
Scott Ferrin

As I've posted elsewhere on this thread, as well as the podded
four-barrel GAU-13/A version of the GAU-8/A,

I saw a picture once of the original Strike Eagle with three of those
babies on it. :-)