Area bombing is not a dirty word.

Old December 31st 03, 08:05 PM
ArtKramr

Default Area bombing is not a dirty word.

60 years of hindsight with some revisionism thrown in have obscured the
original intent of attacking an enemy from the air. I only flew one (of 50)
mission
over cloud cover using GEE. We didn't call it area bombing. We didn't call it
blind bombing. Those are words are now used to stake out an agenda against
bombing in general. We flew the mission because it had to be flown and GEE was
the only way to get it done. And there was a war on. A very nasty unpleasant
war.
The name of the game was to go for the enemies throat. Hit him night and day
in good weather and bad with no let up and no relief. We flew the missions,
came back, buried our dead and went out again.We always hit a specific target
that had to be hit. .The idea of having the enemy hit us without our hitting
back any way we could was unthinkable. It shows weakness and gives the
inititive to the enemy, and once you have lost the initiative, you have lost
the war.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old December 31st 03, 08:24 PM
Chris Mark

The idea of having the enemy hit us without our hitting
back any way we could was unthinkable. It shows weakness and gives the
inititive to the enemy, and once you have lost the initiative, you have lost
the war.

Is that a quote from George W. Bush?

Chris Mark
Old December 31st 03, 11:00 PM
Bill Phillips

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
60 years of hindsight with some revisionism thrown in have obscured the
original intent of attacking an enemy from the air. I only flew one (of

50)
mission
over cloud cover using GEE. We didn't call it area bombing. We didn't call

it
blind bombing. Those are words are now used to stake out an agenda against
bombing in general. We flew the mission because it had to be flown and GEE

was
the only way to get it done. And there was a war on. A very nasty

unpleasant
war.
The name of the game was to go for the enemies throat.

The problem is: were you going for the enemy's throat?

Beating the enemy's fist with your face is not a good way to win.

Hit him night and day
in good weather and bad with no let up and no relief. We flew the

missions,
came back, buried our dead and went out again.We always hit a specific

target
that had to be hit. .The idea of having the enemy hit us without our

hitting
back any way we could was unthinkable. It shows weakness and gives the
inititive to the enemy, and once you have lost the initiative, you have

lost
the war.

Quite agree, however, your return blows have to be effective.

Also doing the same thing again and again is not gaining the initiative, it
is surrendering it.

Old December 31st 03, 11:37 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: Area bombing is not a dirty word.
From: "Bill Phillips"
Date: 12/31/03 3:00 PM Pacific Standard Time

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
[...]

Not when experience shows you that he is crumbling under your repeated blows.
And as we delivered these blows we could see him crumbling under our very eyes.

Old December 31st 03, 11:43 PM
Chris Mark

From: Ed Rasimus

Do you find
pride in identifying with the other?

Why do you believe I do?

Chris Mark
Old January 1st 04, 12:48 AM
Mike Beede

In article , Chris Mark wrote:

And here's a paraphrase from a mission briefing:

Not a paraphrase of anything I can find on the net. Where is
it from?

Mike Beede
Old January 1st 04, 02:17 AM
ArtKramr

From: ost (Chris Mark)
Date: 12/31/03 4:12 PM Pacific Standard Time
From:
(ArtKramr)

Nope. It is a paraphrase from a Military Tactics instructor at Cadet

school.

And here's a paraphrase from a mission briefing:

"Remember, if things get screwed up, get rid of those bombs. Find something,
anything, another target--trains, trucks, camps, emplacements, guns, troops,
anything is fair game--and drop on it. I don't care what it is. Better to
drop those bombs than bring them back here. We're not trying to save money,
it's all expendable, and we have a lot more bombs where these come from.
I want those people shook, so shook they never come out of their holes again.

If you kill them today they can't kill you tomorrow. We're not playing fair.

We're playing to win. We win by killing them. Killing them until they've
had
enough and quit. They can quit any time, but until they do we are going to
kill them anywhere and anyway we can."

Q: We're dropping to rooftop height three minutes from the target and you
said
to fire on "targets of opportunity" during that time. What is a "target of
opportunity"?

A: "Just strafe anything in your line of fire. Fire on anything that moves."

Q: Donkeys move, farmers move, women washing clothes move....

A: "You've got the idea. We've got to hit them where they live until they
drop
their ****ing guns and quit. Do you understand?"

Complete silence in the tent.

"DO YOU UNDERSTAND?"

Yes, sir!

Chris Mark

You live in a fantasy world of unreality.