VETERANS!!! - less than 5 days - HAMMER GOOGLE!!!

Old November 7th 04, 04:42 PM
TrueAmerican

Default VETERANS!!! - less than 5 days - HAMMER GOOGLE!!!

Folks,

YOU CANNOT LET THIS SIMPLY GO UNNOTICED.

Last year I complained to Google for not recognizing Veteran's on their
special day.

This year, I am proposing they DO recognize the Veteran's on their day and I
am asking all of you to spread the word.

Please click on and send along this link --
http://www.jamesmarchetti.com/google...-day-logo.html -- to all of
your Veteran friends and families of Veterans.

Have them simply click the link on this page and it will create a prewritten
email to Google urging them to give Veterans their fair share of
recognition.

Thanks!

Old November 7th 04, 07:15 PM
Harry Goldstein

Buzz off!

Go raise your flag up the pole fluffy!

"TrueAmerican" wrote

Old November 7th 04, 08:26 PM
Vaughn

"TrueAmerican" wrote in message
m...

YOU CANNOT LET THIS SIMPLY GO UNNOTICED.

Yea, actually I can.

I see no reason why Google has any special obligation to vets. I do
business at countless places and have never seen any reason to demand that any
of them recognize us veterans, though I take notice and appreciate it when they
do.

Get a life.

Vaughn

Old November 7th 04, 08:44 PM
Raoul

In article ,
Vaughn wrote:

"TrueAmerican" wrote in message
m...

YOU CANNOT LET THIS SIMPLY GO UNNOTICED.

Yea, actually I can.

I see no reason why Google has any special obligation to vets. I do
business at countless places and have never seen any reason to demand that any
of them recognize us veterans, though I take notice and appreciate it when
they
do.

Besides, Google is an international website. I'm not sure if they have
localized editions but they do need to keep the rest of the world in
mind.

Me? I bought a buddy poppy and am gonna wear it.

raoul
Old November 8th 04, 09:22 AM
Brian Sharrock

"Raoul" wrote in message
In article ,
Vaughn wrote:

"TrueAmerican" wrote in message
m...

YOU CANNOT LET THIS SIMPLY GO UNNOTICED.

Yea, actually I can.

I see no reason why Google has any special obligation to vets. I

do
business at countless places and have never seen any reason to demand

that any
of them recognize us veterans, though I take notice and appreciate it

when
they
do.

Besides, Google is an international website. I'm not sure if they have
localized editions but they do need to keep the rest of the world in
mind.

There's certainly a "google.co.uk "; I'm uncertain of what its
scope is, I assume it interfaces to a server in the UK.

Me? I bought a buddy poppy and am gonna wear it.

What's a "buddy poppy"?

The UK has had the "Poppy Day" Appeal since after WWI.
The (Royal) British legion carries out the charity-collection
by a variety of methods, street- collections, shop-distributors,
churches, petrol-stations, etc. etc.: One would have to work hard
to avoid a Poppy collector!

One nevers _buys_ a poppy but contributes to
the charity and takes a poppy to demonstrate support.
The money collected is mainly in coins and the major
banks co-operate by accepting and sorting the coins
usually on the Saturday (before Remembrance Sunday)
after the close of Banking hours.

It's almost mandatory for adults to sport a poppy on
Remembrance Sunday and the days leading up to it.

Recently, Politicians and Broadcasters have appeared
sporting a poppy from November 1. Wreaths formed from
Red Poppies are the symbols laid on War Memorials

--

Brian

Old November 8th 04, 10:42 AM
Raoul

In article , Brian Sharrock
wrote:

"Raoul" wrote in message
In article ,
Vaughn wrote:

[...]

The Veterans of Foreign Wars here in the USA calls 'em "buddy poppies"
I bought one from an old guy on the street. He said I was 'buying one"
so that's good enough for me.

The UK has had the "Poppy Day" Appeal since after WWI.
The (Royal) British legion carries out the charity-collection
by a variety of methods, street- collections, shop-distributors,
churches, petrol-stations, etc. etc.: One would have to work hard
to avoid a Poppy collector!

One nevers _buys_ a poppy but contributes to
the charity and takes a poppy to demonstrate support.
The money collected is mainly in coins and the major
banks co-operate by accepting and sorting the coins
usually on the Saturday (before Remembrance Sunday)
after the close of Banking hours.

It's almost mandatory for adults to sport a poppy on
Remembrance Sunday and the days leading up to it.

Recently, Politicians and Broadcasters have appeared
sporting a poppy from November 1. Wreaths formed from
Red Poppies are the symbols laid on War Memorials

I can receive Canadian TV where I live in the USA and have noticed the
broadcasters and their poppies around this time of year. Understandable
since Canada is pretty tight with the UK and even moreso during the WW
I years.

raoul
Old November 8th 04, 01:11 PM
Andrew Chaplin

Raoul wrote:

The Veterans of Foreign Wars here in the USA calls 'em "buddy poppies"
I bought one from an old guy on the street. He said I was 'buying one"
so that's good enough for me.

Even the Royal Canadian Legion's own canvassers don't always get it
right

I can receive Canadian TV where I live in the USA and have noticed the
broadcasters and their poppies around this time of year. Understandable
since Canada is pretty tight with the UK and even moreso during the WW
I years.

The red poppy has been regarded as the plant badge for remembrance
throughout the Commonwealth since the publication in Punch and
subsequent popularization of the poem "In Flanders Fields" by a
Canadian soldier, Lt. Col. John McRae, but the flower's appearance in
soil disturbed by bombardment had previously been noticed during the
Napoleonic Wars. It symbolism in the Great War would have dawned on
both the UK and Canada simultaneously, I suspect.

The RCL has made the red poppy a trademark in Canada, and will defend
its appropriate use much the way Disney protects Mickey Mouse.
http://www.legion.ca/asp/docs/rempoppy/allabout_e.asp

Frank Magazine usually runs a piece called "Poppycock" in early
November to show who is exploiting the poppy for political or
commercial ends.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old November 8th 04, 03:13 PM
Fred J. McCall

Raoul wrote:

:The Veterans of Foreign Wars here in the USA calls 'em "buddy poppies"
:I bought one from an old guy on the street. He said I was 'buying one"
:so that's good enough for me.

Then he was wrong. You see, he could not legally SELL you a poppy
without a vendor's license, tax number, and all that other
impedimenta. This is why in actuality it works precisely as described
to you - you CONTRIBUTE money and they GIVE you a poppy.

--
"It's over now, or so they say.
But sometimes it don't work out that way.
Old November 8th 04, 11:28 PM
Raoul

In article , Fred J. McCall
wrote:

Raoul wrote:

:The Veterans of Foreign Wars here in the USA calls 'em "buddy poppies"
:I bought one from an old guy on the street. He said I was 'buying one"
:so that's good enough for me.

Then he was wrong. You see, he could not legally SELL you a poppy
without a vendor's license, tax number, and all that other
impedimenta. This is why in actuality it works precisely as described
to you - you CONTRIBUTE money and they GIVE you a poppy.

Jesus Christ impailed on a bayonet- you guys are pretty damn anal about
this.

Hell, I don't really care. The old dude was walking along wiuh his VFW
hat on and a handful of buddy poppies, I gave him a dollar and he gave
me a poppy.

I'm wearing it even as we speak.

raoul
Old November 9th 04, 01:51 PM
Fred J. McCall

Raoul wrote:

:In article , Fred J. McCall
wrote:
:
: Raoul wrote:
:
: :The Veterans of Foreign Wars here in the USA calls 'em "buddy poppies"
: :I bought one from an old guy on the street. He said I was 'buying one"
: :so that's good enough for me.
:
: Then he was wrong. You see, he could not legally SELL you a poppy
: without a vendor's license, tax number, and all that other
: impedimenta. This is why in actuality it works precisely as described
: to you - you CONTRIBUTE money and they GIVE you a poppy.
:
:Jesus Christ impailed on a bayonet- you guys are pretty damn anal about
:this.

You're the one arguing against the facts.

:Hell, I don't really care.

Then why are you still arguing?