Garmin buys UPS AT...

Old July 27th 03, 10:30 AM

Craig Davidson wrote:

"UPS Aviation Technologies, headquartered in Salem, Ore., designs and

manufactures multiple lines of communications, navigation and surveillance
products for general aviation and air transport customers. The company
employs about 150 people"

Garmin buys a company of 150 people and you think they have dominated an
entire industry?

The UPS avionics effort was an attempt by the freight-hauling parent to design
some of their own avionics for their fleet, then as the thing grew its own
life, some of them prevailed to make G/A goodies. This likely came to
interfere with the core business, thus they were more than ready to dump this
subsiderary.

Old July 27th 03, 04:36 PM
Tarver Engineering

wrote in message ...

Craig Davidson wrote:

"UPS Aviation Technologies, headquartered in Salem, Ore., designs and

manufactures multiple lines of communications, navigation and

surveillance
products for general aviation and air transport customers. The company
employs about 150 people"

Garmin buys a company of 150 people and you think they have dominated an
entire industry?

The UPS avionics effort was an attempt by the freight-hauling parent to

design
some of their own avionics for their fleet, then as the thing grew its own
life, some of them prevailed to make G/A goodies. This likely came to
interfere with the core business, thus they were more than ready to dump

this
subsiderary.

Thirty nine million, in the current market, looks like smiling all the way
to the bank to me.

Old July 27th 03, 05:57 PM
Peter Duniho

wrote in message ...
The UPS avionics effort was an attempt by the freight-hauling parent to

design
some of their own avionics for their fleet, then as the thing grew its own
life, some of them prevailed to make G/A goodies.

Huh? Hardly. The UPS line of avionics is basically the same as it was
before UPS bought it, along with the company, from II Morrow. The
"freight-hauling parent" didn't do much design, if any, nor was it intended
specifically for their own fleet. It was targeted at GA from the outset, by
the original designer: II Morrow.

Frankly, I thought it was always a little strange that UPS bought out II
Morrow, but their current choice of how to dispose of their purchase is
going to be very bad for the avionics market. There's going to be even less
price competition than there was before, and I will be surprised if Garmin
leaves both product lines available intact.

Anyone know how to get the FTC to notice this and do something about it?

Pete

Old July 27th 03, 06:22 PM
Roy Smith

"Peter Duniho" wrote:
Frankly, I thought it was always a little strange that UPS bought out II
Morrow,

Everybody seems to think UPS wanted GPS for their air fleet. I suspect
they were a lot more interested in it for their ground fleet. For every
cargo jet they operate, they've probably got 100, if not 1000, trucks.
Old July 27th 03, 06:37 PM
Don Tuite

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 09:57:30 -0700, "Peter Duniho"
wrote:

.. . .
Huh? Hardly. The UPS line of avionics is basically the same as it was
before UPS bought it, along with the company, from II Morrow. The
"freight-hauling parent" didn't do much design, if any, nor was it intended
specifically for their own fleet. It was targeted at GA from the outset, by
the original designer: II Morrow.

Frankly, I thought it was always a little strange that UPS bought out II
Morrow,

IIRC, II Morrow's original business plan was to use LORAN to provide
truck and taxi dispatchers with up-to-the-minute location info on the
vehicles in their fleets. They probably had UPS seed money.

but their current choice of how to dispose of their purchase is
going to be very bad for the avionics market. There's going to be even less
price competition than there was before, and I will be surprised if Garmin
leaves both product lines available intact.

Anyone know how to get the FTC to notice this and do something about it?

Oh my. Where have all the rec.aviation.libertarians gone? ?;- *

Is Garmin going to pull the operation out of Oregon?

Don
Old July 28th 03, 04:01 AM
Mike Weller

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 10:21:17 -0700, "Tarver Engineering"
wrote:

Two spinning and a radio, trans oceanic.

OK, I'll bite. What does "Two spinning and a radio, trans oceanic"
mean? It sounds like a Jimmy Buffet song, but I just can't place it.

John P. Tarver, MS/PE

Mike Weller

Old July 28th 03, 08:11 PM
Robert M. Gary

Maybe Garmin products will improve now. Anyone who has flown behind an
MX-20 looks at a GNS530 and says, 'Hey look, something for the kids!'.

Lenny Sawyer wrote in message ...
Big news...
http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/corporate/072403b.html

Old August 3rd 03, 07:34 PM
Mark T. Mueller

The Garmin reps at OSH would not talk about merger plans at all, nor would
they comment whether the current product line would be continued or
supported.

The UPSAT CNX-80 was a direct broadsides at the 430/530, and may have been
the only reason Garmin announced a reasonable upgrade for the 430/530 to
meet the 5 Hz update rate for WAAS cert (but still on the drawing boards.)
Otherwise, I am sure Garmin would have just come out with a 435/535 and told
us suckers who bought too early to just "trade it in"... I will be curious
to see if the CNX-80s actually ship in any sizeable numbers, or if those
with the units on order are given an opportunity to get a 530 instead...

Didn't Goodrich (now L3) relable MX-20s? What are they going to do?

I have a strong suspision the incentive for Garmin to actually provide good
end user support and fair pricing has just gone away. I have been
disappointed with Garmin's response to datalink for the 430/530 line (I have
had avionics installers tell me not to get it, and they were selling the
things...) I was told by Garmin the 430/530 would continue to use the
GDL49/EchoFlight system only, and the new WxWorks broadcast system would
only be for the G1000.

Then again, they did lose a big auto deal due to their non-competitive
pricing recently...