Hangar rent

Old November 8th 03, 05:46 AM
Martin Kosina

"Kobra" wrote in message ...
I don't know if this has been covered before, but how much is everyone
paying for their hangars and what is provided?

Mine is a T-hanger with a dirt floor, free electric and manual doors that
are a bear to open and close. The hangar is damp of course, but not too
bad.

When we first secured it the rent was 240.00 and no lease. A few months
later it went up to 280.00 and no lease. Just last month we got our fuel
bill and the hangar rent went up again to 300.00 and the owner refuses to
give us a lease.

That's a 60.00/mo. increase in less than a year. The rumor has it that the
owner is going to keep raising the rent until people start moving out and
there are a few empty hangars. At that point he feels they will be priced
properly.

My question is: at what price would you walk out of a dirt floor T-hangar
with free electric and stiff manual doors? There are no other local
airports with similar hangars that are empty. A tie-down goes for 65.00/mo.

Kobra

I pay $198 for an OK asphalt-floor T, with electricity in Portland, OR
(KTTD), a major metro area in the Pacific NW. Tiedown is $25, so $173
for the hangaring priviledge. I do owner-assisted annuals and
maintenance, which I figure saves about $1000/yr (maybe little more),
the real reason why I hanger instead of tie-down. After that, the pure
convenience/peace-of-mind-when-the-wind-is-blowing charge works out to
about $90/mo, which is really pushing it for me. Probably wouldn't do
it for more. I think any property management company worth its salt
has this reserached for a given area/owner demographics, and the local
prices reflect that. The real problem for all of us is when this works
out to be less than what housing developers are willing to pay....
Old November 9th 03, 12:35 AM
vincent p. norris

At University Park, PA, rent for a T-hangar just big enough for a
Cherokee, macadam floor, manual doors, is $159/month.

vince norris
Old November 9th 03, 04:56 AM
Gilan

down here in Leesburg Florida you can get a brand new T-hanger with electric
and a nice new smooth concrete floor and easy to open doors for $250.00.

--
Have a good day and stay out of the trees!
See ya on Sport Aircraft group

Flying Gators annual Fly-in
http://www.mitchellwing.com/flying_g...annual_fly.htm

Private Pilot in 10 days
http://www.perfectplanes.com

Old November 9th 03, 06:28 AM
Greg Burkhart

I had a hangar in McAllen, TX (MFE) which was a large 3-sided (open door)
hangar that held probably 6 planes in there arranged every-which-way for
$90/month. Would have to call the FBO or arrive early to have them get my
plane pulled out, which usually meant moving at least one other out of the
way.

I moved to Humboldt, IA (0k7) last year and rented a hangar from the city
for $35/month which had an electric door but I shared it with a Cessna
Cardinal that I would have to move out first to get my plane out. Was
blacktopped in the area for the planes but the rest was a dirt floor for the
city's Christmas decorations, a couple cars and some tractors and a boat in
there too...

6 months ago I moved the plane to Sleepy Eye, MN (Y58) and got a T-hangar
with manual doors and was a 3-place with dirt floor except for cement pads
to park the planes on. I had the middle hangar on the back side (only hangar
that faced the back so I'm not sure how well that taxiway will get plowed in
the winter). There was a trailer and boat in one hangar and a Cherokee in
the other. Cost is $40/month. Problem is that it's 30 mile drive from here
and over 50 miles from work so I haven't flown too much lately. :-(

Just got a call from the airport manager here in St James, MN (JYG) saying
there is an open hangar available for $55/month or $50/month if paid for 6
months. I'm going to try and get into it tomorrow! It's only a couple miles
from here and 'only' 25 miles from work...

I'd like to get hangar space at Fairmont, MN (FRM) and also find a place to
live there too since that's where I'm now working. So far, the hangars are
filled there, but still waiting...

Old November 10th 03, 07:28 PM
Ben Smith

"Kobra" wrote in message
I don't know if this has been covered before, but how much is everyone
paying for their hangars and what is provided?

87Y (6NM away from Madison, WI), $211/mo for a full asphalt T-hangar,
includes electric. Bi-fold door. Uncontrolled field with 2 runways, no
transient services, and an uncertain future.

--
Ben
C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

Old November 10th 03, 10:45 PM
Colin Kingsbury

You at Bedford, Bob? This is my first season owning there, I'm at the Tower
Ramp tiedowns, which cost $110/mo for a 172.

Don't forget that $500 also gets you the chance to pay $75 to get
fingerprinted, and for no extra money the guards at the air force base will
harass you when you try to drive up if your auto inspection sticker is out
of date.

As for how good a job Massport does plowing, I just hope they do better than
the state does on 128.

-cwk.

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article , "Kobra"
wrote:

I don't know if this has been covered before, but how much is everyone
paying for their hangars and what is provided?

$459/month

electricity (not metered), but only 1 15 amp circuit (not including
the door)

electric bifold doors

asphalt floor

I think it's 44' wide or 46' wide.

Rumor has it that Massport does a good job plowing.

--
Bob Noel

Old November 11th 03, 12:30 AM
Bob Noel

In article k.net,
"Colin Kingsbury" wrote:

You at Bedford, Bob?

yes sir.

This is my first season owning there, I'm at the
Tower
Ramp tiedowns, which cost $110/mo for a 172.

well, the tie-downs had been $85/month since before 1994.

Don't forget that $500 also gets you the chance to pay $75 to get
fingerprinted, and for no extra money the guards at the air force base
will
harass you when you try to drive up if your auto inspection sticker is
out
of date.

don't forget to buckle your seatbelt.

(actually, I don't need to get on HAFB to get to my hangar).

As for how good a job Massport does plowing, I just hope they do better
than
the state does on 128.

They do. This is my first year in a T-hangar, but massport did
a decent job plowing the tie-downs the years I had my airplane
on the east ramp. Note that they can cut your ropes if they
plow when your airplane is not there. Shovelling out what
isn't plowed is no fun - I used to use a snowblower to (carefully)
clear out the airplane.

--
Bob Noel
Old November 11th 03, 10:46 PM
Tom S.

"Bill T." wrote in message
for years i was on a waiting list to get a hangar at SQL.

then 13 years ago i bought a lot at an airpark and built a house
with attached 40x50 hangar. i live right next to the runway, and i'm
in the air 5 minutes after i have a whim to go fly.

hangar rent = zero, with appreciating real estate values.

there's plenty of airparks in the USA, if you own a plane i think it's
the way to go.

http://www.airporthomes.com/viewhomes.htm (All regions of the US).

Old November 11th 03, 11:02 PM
Bill T.

for years i was on a waiting list to get a hangar at SQL.

then 13 years ago i bought a lot at an airpark and built a house
with attached 40x50 hangar. i live right next to the runway, and i'm
in the air 5 minutes after i have a whim to go fly.

hangar rent = zero, with appreciating real estate values.

there's plenty of airparks in the USA, if you own a plane i think it's
the way to go.