Garmin buys UPS AT...

Old July 25th 03, 04:38 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jonathan Goodish" wrote in message news:jgoodish-
It would appear that UPSAT had technology that Garmin did not, which
would indicate to me that Garmin was the technological underdog. If
there was nothing there for Garmin, they wouldn't have bothered with the
aquisition.

Most of it isn't the consumer avionics stuff but the ADS-B stuff etc...
Never could understand what Brown was doing owning that business anyhow.

Old July 25th 03, 05:07 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

"Tarver Engineering" wrote in message

Never could understand what Brown was doing owning that business

anyhow.

DME replacement.

Doesn't explain why they need to own an avionics company. None of the

other
cargo companies felt it necessary to develop their own avionics.

I wrote the wrong thing anyway Ron. What I should have written is "third
LRN replacement". Two spinning and one radio give a nice technology cross
check and I don't think anyone was making 6 wire distance, from a GPS.

John P. Tarver, MS/PE

Old July 25th 03, 06:22 PM
Scott Skylane

Tarver Engineering wrote:
/snip/

I wrote the wrong thing anyway Ron.

/snip/

John,

Keep repeating that line to yourself, over and over and over again.

The REAL reason Big Brown bought out IIMorrow was for their parcel
tracking software. They had been using IIMorrrow's software, and
decided it was so good, they wanted to keep development "in house". The
Apollo line of avionics was just a nicety to go along with the deal.

See
http://www.elogisticsmagazine.co.uk/...feature4.shtml
about halfway down the page.

Quote UPS:
"Our decision to sell is based on the fact that our airline has matured
and ongoing development and marketing of aviation technology is not part
of the long-term strategic direction of UPS," said Tom Weidemeyer,
president of UPS Airlines.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane

Old July 25th 03, 06:22 PM
Marco L

Totally agree, that's why I have a GNS430 Not looking forward to
shelling out $1500 for the WAAS upgrade. $500 for terrain data I can take.

You would figure that Honeywell would have some technology sharing in the
works...

Marco

"karl gruber" wrote in message
********If you don't like Garmin, go buy a KLN-94, simple as that. There

are
enough KLN-series GPS units out there to make the Garmin dominance far

from
a monopoly.
**********

Unfortunately, King was slow to the GPS scene and never caught up. The
KLN-94 is ANCIENT technology compared to the latest Garmin/Upsat units.

Karl

http://www.usenet.com
Old July 25th 03, 07:00 PM
Dennis O'Connor

I don't know how their relative sales volumes were, what the ROI was, etc...
But I do know what I like and increasingly I am/was looking at the UPS line
for when I have to stuff the panel on my my RV-7 in 18 months - the CNX-80
had really caught my fancy as the #1 nav/com/vor/gps/ils box with a backup
com and a Garmin 196 for nav backup...... I do think their price on the
SL-30 / SL-40 was excessive compared to the Garmin stuff...
We will never know because uniform pricing will set in very rapidly under
single corporate ownership...

Denny

"Dave Stadt" wrote in message
.com...

"Dennis O'Connor" wrote in message
If you can't beat em - buy em!

In this case it was......If you can't beat em - sell out to em.

"The Customer Suffers" wrote in message
I'd expect prices to soon go thru the roof, now that they have the
monopoly over the aviation GPS market.

Old July 25th 03, 07:15 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Scott Skylane" wrote in message
Tarver Engineering wrote:
/snip/

I wrote the wrong thing anyway Ron.

/snip/

John,

Keep repeating that line to yourself, over and over and over again.

UPS had 2 turning and one radio for LRN and IIMorrow filled their need.

The REAL reason Big Brown bought out IIMorrow was for their parcel
tracking software. They had been using IIMorrrow's software, and
decided it was so good, they wanted to keep development "in house". The
Apollo line of avionics was just a nicety to go along with the deal.

There was a real need for a GPS Tracor OMEGA replacement and UPS could get
what they needed with Apollo.

See
http://www.elogisticsmagazine.co.uk/...feature4.shtml
about halfway down the page.

Quote UPS:
"Our decision to sell is based on the fact that our airline has matured
and ongoing development and marketing of aviation technology is not part
of the long-term strategic direction of UPS," said Tom Weidemeyer,
president of UPS Airlines.

I doubt UPS ever had any interest in providing avionics to small GA.

John P. Tarver, MS/PE

Old July 25th 03, 09:15 PM

Snowbird wrote:

wrote in message ...
The Customer Suffers wrote:
I'd expect prices to soon go thru the roof, now that they have the
monopoly over the aviation GPS market.

I think you meant to say light aircraft GPS market. No high end biz
jets or airliners have Garmin equipment. Compared to what the big boys
use, the Garmin 530 is a stubborn toy.

So, what do the "high end biz jets" use?

Per acquaintance flying Falcons w/ airline pilot friends,
his equipment was far better than theirs. Judging from
what I'd seen peeking through cockpit doors, would have
to agree.

No doubt, there are more state-of-the-art biz jets than there are airliners.
Two high-end airliners that come to mind are the 777 and latest 737.

But, even the "so so" airliners are legions ahead of light aircraft.

The best avionics suite today would include:

1. Triple IRUs as the primary position and attitude platform.
2. Dual FMS/LNAV-VNAV systems with augmentation of the IRU mixed postion
sensor in order of perference: GPS, DME/DME, and way down the list, VOR/DME.
Many of these aircraft have scanning DMEs that can "see" up to 10 DME stations
virtually at the same time.
3.Dual, independent navdatabases, with acess to airways and jet routes by
typing in flight-plan sequence logic; i.e., LAX.LOOP1.DAG.J134.STL
4. Autoflight system, with dual, independent, stall protected autothrottles
systems, and capability to fly RF legs (radius-to-fix legs). Dual,
independent flight directors.
5. EVS.
6. Electronic flight bag, including approach charts and aircraft handbook.

Old July 26th 03, 12:42 AM
Neal

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:19:41 -0500, "Dan Luke"
c172rgATbellsouthDOTnet wrote:

"Lenny Sawyer" wrote:
Big news...

Hard to see how this can be anything but bad news for GA aircraft owners.
UPS was the only one keeping any real pressure on Garmin in the NAV/COM/GPS
market.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the UPSAT products. Will they
suffer the Not Invented Here stigma and die a lingering death?

And folks here were just recently lamenting the end-of-life for the
GPS-90 handheld database updates... I'm kinda glad now that I didn't
buy that GX-55 panel-mount last autumn.
Old July 26th 03, 05:20 AM
Neal

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 20:09:31 -0400, Roy Smith wrote:

Neal wrote:
And folks here were just recently lamenting the end-of-life for the
GPS-90 handheld database updates... I'm kinda glad now that I didn't
buy that GX-55 panel-mount last autumn.

I've got a Garmin 90. I havn't updated the database since the day I got
it (7 years ago?). I carry it for emergency navigation. The airports
havn't moved since then, which is mostly what I'm interested in.
There's the odd navaid or intersection that's changed, but for the most
part, this stuff just doesn't change that quickly.

For primary IFR navigation, sure you need an up to date database.
Especially for approaches. But for emergency backup? Hardly.

If you use one for even just VFR, you really need current airport
identifiers. In the past year and a half, there's been about a half
dozen or more airport identifier changes and/or airports that have
closed completely, within a hundred miles of my home base.

In an emergency in unfamiliar territory when you hit that NRST button
and it steers you towards that airport that shows to be in gliding
range, and you turn that direction and establish your glide only to
find a brand new neighborhood full of freshly built houses instead of
a runway...