Czechoslovak nuclear weapons? Warszaw Pact War Plans ( The Effects of a Global Thermonuclear War ...)

Old January 16th 04, 08:16 PM
B2431

From: "Kevin Brooks"
Date: 1/16/2004 11:13 AM Central Standard Time

"Alan Minyard" wrote in message
.. .
On 15 Jan 2004 18:40:34 GMT,
(B2431) wrote:

From: Alan Minyard

Date: 1/15/2004 12:34 PM Central Standard Time
On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:42:19 +0100, "Mike" wrote:

Your French friends have many ones Mr.Minyard.
Launched from planes,SSBNs,carriers....
Tactical ones,strategical powerful ones...
And if they are as idiot as you always say,if what they do is
always ****,like you tell us post after post,
why couldn't the poles have their ones?
Do you consider they are even more stupid and weak than the French?
(No,you don't,of course.They helped Bush...)

;-ppppp

What I am saying is that the "suitcase" nuclear device does not exist.
No one, not the French, not the Poles, not the UK and not the US, has

them.
The "micro thermonuclear bomb is a myth, and not a very good one.

Al Minyard

The U.S. Army's Green Light program and the U.S. Air Forces Davey

Crockett come
pretty close.

I have no idea what "Green Light" was, but I suppose it was a SADM or
similar--which was not a "suitcase bomb". And the USAF NEVER fielded Davey
Crockett--that was a US Army system (sort of a recoiless rifle with a
spigot) which used the same physics package as the SADM (W-54).

Brooks

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

True, but they were very low yield, and would be way too heavy to qualify.

Al Minyard

I don't recall suggesting Davey Crocket was a USAF program.

As for Green Light it was a man portable device. They would be emplaced by a
crew of two, timer set and left behind while the crew retired to a safe
distance. Other than that I don't know much more about it.

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired
Old January 16th 04, 08:56 PM
Kevin Brooks

From: "Kevin Brooks"
Date: 1/16/2004 11:13 AM Central Standard Time

From: Alan Minyard

Date: 1/15/2004 12:34 PM Central Standard Time
[...]

I thought that the (from above) "...and the U.S. Air Forces Davey Crockett
come pretty close." was part of your post?

As for Green Light it was a man portable device. They would be emplaced by

crew of two, timer set and left behind while the crew retired to a safe
distance. Other than that I don't know much more about it.

Sounds like the pre-SADM SADM, so to speak. But that weapon (T-4/W-9) was
even heavier than SADM. The W-54 was the smallest man emplaced weapon we
fielded in its SADM configuration.

Brooks

Dan, U. S. Air Force, retired

Old January 17th 04, 02:02 AM
Chad Irby

In article ,
"Kevin Brooks" wrote:

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
news

The weight for the Davy Crockett was "ready to fire," inside its casing.

No, that all-up weight was apparently greater than 100 pounds (NWA says 150
pounds; see: http://gawain.membrane.com/hew/Usa/W.../Allbombs.html ). The
weight of the W-54 "only" is listed as 59 pounds.

You're including the weight of a small rocket booster in that, big
enough to fire the sucker several miles...

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old January 17th 04, 07:52 AM
B2431

From: "Kevin Brooks"
Date: 1/16/2004 2:56 PM Central Standard Time

From: "Kevin Brooks"

Date: 1/16/2004 11:13 AM Central Standard Time

From: Alan Minyard

Date: 1/15/2004 12:34 PM Central Standard Time
[...]

Oops, I never meant to say Davey Crocket was a USAF project.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old January 17th 04, 02:18 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
In article ,
"Kevin Brooks" wrote:

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
news

The weight for the Davy Crockett was "ready to fire," inside its

casing.

No, that all-up weight was apparently greater than 100 pounds (NWA says

150
pounds; see: http://gawain.membrane.com/hew/Usa/W.../Allbombs.html ).

The
weight of the W-54 "only" is listed as 59 pounds.

You're including the weight of a small rocket booster in that, big
enough to fire the sucker several miles...

No, actually I screwed up and read Davey Crockett as "SADM"; that all up
weight I gave was for the latter. BTW, the casing for Davey Crockett was
likely not all that big a deal, as it was a pretty low velocity weapon (I
would not discount it even being made of aluminum to keep the weight down).
Davey Crockett warhead weight is given as 50-55 pounds total in the NWA.
Given the "W-54 only" weight also provided by the same site for the SADM,
I'd have to guess that the Davey Crockett casing was a pretty light
structure.

Brooks

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.