Electronic horizon?

Old September 5th 05, 12:37 AM
Stefan

bumper
(who's very happy with the Trutrack and not likely to get confused enough to
remove it and throw it away :c)

Glad you like it. But I don't and my club isn't going to install it in
any club glider unless they change the display to a needle.

Stefan
Old September 5th 05, 03:56 AM
Tom

Just be sure to have your T&B on ALL of the time; you will not have
time to turn it on when you need it.

I prefer an aviation GPS with an HSI display.

Tom

Old September 5th 05, 06:59 AM
bumper

Tom,

The Trutrac needs only 3 seconds from switch-on to providing good info. It
doesn't matter if it's level or cranked over in a steep turn. Really pretty
amazing and nothing at all like turning on a mechanical needle and ball or
turn coordinator and then waiting for it to erect properly if already in a
turn.

Since I have both a Garmin 196 and Trutrack in the ASH26E, I've compared
them to each other. Either will keep an experienced pilot right side up in
IMC, or allow one to do a 180 etc, I prefer the display on Trutrack by a
slight margin as the response is a bit faster than Garmin's panel page.

Both are good to have, as there's nothing wrong with redundancy. If I had to
pick one, it would be the Garmin, even though the display is slower. The
Garmin gives more data, including ground speed. Good to have if the pitot
ices up. 'Course if that happened, one would probably have other concerns
too.

bumper

oups.com...

Old September 5th 05, 08:17 AM
Stefan

Tom wrote:

Just be sure to have your T&B on ALL of the time; you will not have
time to turn it on when you need it.

I have a hard time to imagine a situation where I would be suddenly in a
cloud without any forewarning.

I prefer an aviation GPS with an HSI display.

This depends what on you want you want it for. While I believe that it
would allow a safe descent through a thin cloud deck, I don't believe it
would be fast enough for that bumpy climb inside a cumulus congestus.

Stefan
Old September 5th 05, 10:37 AM
M B

A big thank you to all of those who over the past
three years have contributed money or attention
or other effort to nurture the Dr. Jack BLIPMAPs
into a stable resource.

Several years ago I and others called upon
(mostly USA) pilots to give donations to
the worthy BLIPMAPs and other Dr. Jack products.
I truly believe the very positive response was
the difference between losing these products or developing

them into a stable state.

The site at this point, several years later, seems
stable,
and has had the 'glitches' worked out. I am very,
very
happy that so many people responded so generously to

support this.

Of course, none deserve gratitude more than
Dr. Jack himself...but without the funds and recognition

he so completely deserved (but was much to modest to
ask for himself) this resource might have disappeared.

Long live BLIPMAPs and BLIPSPOTs and
all these other wonderful products!

www.drjack.net

If you care to contribute more, look at

www.drjack.info/BLIPMAP/contributors.html

Thank you again for being such a supportive community
towards this.
Mark J. Boyd

Old September 6th 05, 10:51 AM
jonnyboy

Stefan shrieked:
I have a hard time to imagine a situation where I would be suddenly

in a
cloud without any forewarning.

Steffi;
You wanna get out more. You don't *intend* to go in - it just sort of
happens (p.s. look up 'thermal').
Jonny (no offence ;-)

Old September 6th 05, 11:33 AM
Bert Willing

Being inside a cloud does not "just happen". You have to go there, and you
can decide not to go.

Being trapped above a cloud layer under wave conditions is another subject,
though.

--
Bert Willing

ASW20 "TW"

Stefan shrieked:

Old September 6th 05, 04:25 PM
Stefan

jonnyboy wrote:

You wanna get out more. You don't *intend* to go in - it just sort of
happens (p.s. look up 'thermal').

Definitely not. If it "just happens" to you, then something is *very*
wrong with your flying tactics and possibly even with your attitude. (It
may "just happen" at night, but I rarely find thermals at night.) In all
real world situations where you might get trapped, there is always
plenty of time to spin up that gyro.

Stefan
Old September 6th 05, 06:15 PM
Marc Ramsey

Stefan wrote:
Definitely not. If it "just happens" to you, then something is *very*
wrong with your flying tactics and possibly even with your attitude. (It
may "just happen" at night, but I rarely find thermals at night.) In all
real world situations where you might get trapped, there is always
plenty of time to spin up that gyro.

I recently reviewed an article from a pilot flew into what became a
measured 30 knot climb (~15 m/s) below one decent looking cumulus in the
midst of an area of 70+% cloud cover. It took about 30 seconds to go
from a normal (for this area) 10+ knot climb well below cloud base to
being inside the cloud. Nothing much wrong with his tactics or
attitude, he just didn't realize that he had hooked the "big one" until
it was too late to escape the lift.

How long does it take to spin up a gyro?
Old September 7th 05, 04:16 AM

MG wrote: "A big thank you to all of those who over the past
three years have contributed money or attention
or other effort to nurture the Dr. Jack BLIPMAPs
into a stable resource."

You're welcome. And probably thank you -- I imagine you were also
supportivem, probably more than I. And, Amen! Thank God BLIPMAP
survived. May it have a long and healthy life.

Martin

PS Not sure how this got onto the Electronic Horizon thread though.