RAF?

Old December 13th 03, 02:37 AM
Eastward Bound

Default RAF?

Just out of curiosity.

Could somebody like me -

An American - No Criminal History - Single male - 19 years of age

.........Join the English Royal Air Force? Would that make me a British Citizen?

~Thanks in Advance!
Old December 13th 03, 03:18 AM
Thomas Schoene

Eastward Bound wrote:
Just out of curiosity.

Could somebody like me -

An American - No Criminal History - Single male - 19 years of age

........Join the English Royal Air Force? Would that make me a
British Citizen?

No.

http://www.rafcareers.com/thebigpicture/eligibility.cfm

"2. To join the Royal Air Force you must at all times since birth have been
a citizen of the UK, the Commonwealth or the Republic of Ireland. "

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old December 13th 03, 04:03 AM
Ed Majden

"Thomas Schoene"
No.

http://www.rafcareers.com/thebigpicture/eligibility.cfm

"2. To join the Royal Air Force you must at all times since birth have

been
a citizen of the UK, the Commonwealth or the Republic of Ireland. "

When did this change take place? During WWII I'm sure some Yanks must
have enlisted in the RAF before the U.S. entered the war. 303 RAF Squadron
was manned by Poles. A lot of Americans came up to Canada and joined the
RCAF. The reverse was true during the Vietnam war. Many Canadians enlisted
in the U.S. forces.

Old December 13th 03, 10:46 AM
Cub Driver

..Join the English Royal Air Force?

There is a long and honorable tradition of foreigners serving in the
RAF. I'm not sure though that they would bother with you today,
especially if you want to be a pilot.

Would that make me a British Citizen

No.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old December 13th 03, 11:43 AM
M. J. Powell

In message , Eastward
Bound writes
Just out of curiosity.

Could somebody like me -

An American - No Criminal History - Single male - 19 years of age

........Join the English Royal Air Force? Would that make me a British
Citizen?

The English RAF doesn't exist.

No. You have to have been born lucky, like me.

Mike

--
M.J.Powell
Old December 13th 03, 01:27 PM
morten lund

I suspect it was a "In Time of War"-thing.
the Americans that came over were all recruited in Canada (I just read about
it in Harold Buell's Dauntless Helldivers), and it was all a somewhat shady
deal legally, from what I gather.

RAF was *really* short of pilots then, and not too picky regarding
citizenship.

/Morten

Old December 13th 03, 03:40 PM
Peter Kemp

On or about Sat, 13 Dec 2003 03:18:24 GMT, "Thomas Schoene"
allegedly uttered:

Eastward Bound wrote:
Just out of curiosity.

Could somebody like me -

An American - No Criminal History - Single male - 19 years of age

........Join the English Royal Air Force? Would that make me a
British Citizen?

No.

http://www.rafcareers.com/thebigpicture/eligibility.cfm

"2. To join the Royal Air Force you must at all times since birth have been
a citizen of the UK, the Commonwealth or the Republic of Ireland. "

FWIW they also take half-breeds.
I was dual nationality (my Mum's Danish), and they said as long I
renounced my Danish nationality I could serve. As it happens I had to
renounce it to avoid national service in a country where I didn't
speak the language, but my job seeking took me elsewhere.
---
Peter Kemp

Life is short - Drink Faster
Old December 13th 03, 04:24 PM
Ed Majden

"Ed Majden"
When did this change take place? During WWII I'm sure some Yanks must
have enlisted in the RAF before the U.S. entered the war. 303 RAF

Squadron
was manned by Poles. A lot of Americans came up to Canada and joined the
RCAF. The reverse was true during the Vietnam war. Many Canadians

enlisted
in the U.S. forces.

When the Arrow was cancelled moral was low in the RCAF. I phoned a USAF
recruiter in Detroit to enquire about the USAF. I was told I would have to
come down to the USA if I was interested. I asked if my service in the RCAF
would be given recognition. The recruiter stated that it wouldn't but
previous training would probably help after adjusting to USAF methods. I
did not take him up on the offer but stayed with the RCAF/CAF until
retirement.

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

You tea chuggers are mean!

Here in America the Canadians are free to join our Army and become
American citizens in so doing.

Why the double standard? Why the hipocracy? Why the predjudice?
Old December 13th 03, 05:57 PM
JDupre5762

"2. To join the Royal Air Force you must at all times since birth have been
a citizen of the UK, the Commonwealth or the Republic of Ireland. "

Does that mean no naturalized British citizen can join the RAF?

In the US it is possible for foriegners to join the military services and
that speeds up the process of becoming a naturalized citizen.

John Dupre'