DC ADIZ Changes Effective 30 Aug 2007

Old July 27th 07, 02:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John T

Default DC ADIZ Changes Effective 30 Aug 2007

The rumors have been confirmed: The ADIZ will change effective August 30.
Here's what AOPA had to say about it today:

Dear AOPA Member:

Over the past four years, pilots like you and I flying in the
Baltimore-Washington area have struggled with the effects of the Washington,
D.C., Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ). For the first time since it
was implemented in February 2003, the size and requirements are about to
change.

Today, FAA Administrator Marion Blakey made public the fact that the ADIZ
is being reduced to a 30-nautical-mile radius, centered around the DCA
VOR/DME. Many of us had been hearing rumors about it for months.

As I explained in some detail and with a graphic at the AOPA Fly-In last
month, this action is separate from the FAA's rulemaking proposal; the FAA
will do this through a notam that will become effective August 30, 2007. The
charts will be revised to reflect the changes.

http://download.aopa.org/epilot/2007/070726adiz.jpg

While I fully realize this is good news for some of you, I know that for
many pilots there is no change. AOPA considers this an important step in
what will hopefully be an elimination or greater reductions of the ADIZ at
some point in the future. It comes as a result of the more than 22,000
pilots who filed individual comments in opposition to the FAA's notice of
proposed rulemaking to make the ADIZ permanent. The nearly 400 pilots who
attended the four public meetings also played an important role by having
security and transportation officials meet face to face with pilots and hear
firsthand the hardships created by the ADIZ.

My staff and I have leveraged this outpouring of support from pilots in
ongoing lobbying efforts for ADIZ reform in meetings with security officials
and Congress. We have had numerous meetings in the past year with
representatives from the Department of Homeland Security, FAA, Department of
Defense, and White House. We also have been meeting with members of
Congress, both in aviation leadership and homeland security roles.

One of the actions we have pushed for as an alternative to a final rule
was an immediate change to the notam. So, while we are not totally content
with today's announcement, it is significant.

But most important are the operational facts: The new notam will exclude
roughly 20 percent of based aircraft and 8 percent of the operations
currently covered by the ADIZ. It will eliminate ADIZ requirements at four
public-use airports—Martin State (MTN), Essex Skypark (W48), Bay Bridge
(W29) and Kentmorr Airpark (3W3)—as well as a new special transition area
for Leesburg Airport (JYO). As we understand it, pilots operating out of
Leesburg will file a D.C. ADIZ flight plan with flight service, squawk a
dedicated ingress or egress code, communicate on CTAF, and enter or exit via
the most direct route. Egress procedures will also be permitted at six
private/public-use fringe airports: MD47, MD77, MD43, MD14, 51VA, and 04VA.

The Flight Restricted Zone (FRZ) will be modified slightly to allow better
access to the Baltimore-Washington VFR corridor and for more efficient
departures from Washington Dulles International. For example, one will be
able to more easily transition directly from Tipton (FME) to Montgomery
County Airpark (GAI). The agency is expected to make it clear that VFR
flight plans will be considered "closed" when an aircraft exits the ADIZ or
lands inside the ADIZ (no need to cancel the flight plan). To ease
operations and communications, four new controller positions will be added
at the Potomac Tracon.

The FAA is also implementing a VFR speed restriction of 180 knots
indicated airspeed inside the ADIZ (no problem for those of you like me with
Cessna Skyhawks and the like). This was a recommendation made by AOPA as an
alternative to ADIZ requirements, not in addition to them. There will also
be a separate notam requiring a VFR speed restriction of 230 KIAS in the
airspace from 30 nm to 60 nm below 18,000 feet. This was done as part of the
compromise process the FAA went through to obtain approvals by security and
defense agencies.

And, while on the subject of the more than a half dozen agencies that had
to sign off on these new procedures, let me acknowledge the fact that
although the FAA was often blamed for the ADIZ, unlike the user fee issue it
has truly been general aviation's "agent for change" within all levels of
government.

As you can see, these are incremental changes. Let me be clear, AOPA would
love to see the ADIZ completely eliminated, but with constant broad-based
security threats against our nation, almost appearing weekly in the news, we
all must accept the relief that has been provided for now. Keep in mind
these changes are scheduled to become effective August 30, but AOPA will
also inform you when the official notam has been issued.

Phil Boyer

AOPA President

--
John T
http://sage1solutions.com/blogs/TknoFlyer

Old July 27th 07, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

The prisoner hanging from chains in a dungeon is always greateful when
the daily flogging is reduced from 10 strokes to 8 strokes (a 20%
reduction, wheeee!)

As a society we are so frightened by our own shadow it is a wonder
that Raul Castro is not living in the Whitehouse...

denny

Old July 27th 07, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

And the next Balt-DC charts are due out Aug 2.

Makes perfect sense, in FAA context. Did something similar on the
Denver charts. 1995 ft tower (obstruction) went into operation
shortly before the DEN charts were published. Now, the FAA and NACO
*KNEW* the tower was there for over a year and refused to mark it on the charts
until the next 8 month publication cycle. So non-locals didn't know for
over a year that there was a major obstruction on the way in from
the east.

Old July 29th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Owen Rogers

Blanche wrote:

And the next Balt-DC charts are due out Aug 2.

Makes perfect sense, in FAA context. Did something similar on the
Denver charts. 1995 ft tower (obstruction) went into operation
shortly before the DEN charts were published. Now, the FAA and NACO
*KNEW* the tower was there for over a year and refused to mark it on the charts
until the next 8 month publication cycle. So non-locals didn't know for
over a year that there was a major obstruction on the way in from
the east.

The new Washington Sectional and terminal area chart will have the new airspace
depicted. They will not be out until August 30, 2007 which means that the current
charts (81st sectional edition and 74th TAC edition) will be current until that
date.

See http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsite...diz-notice.pdf

Old July 29th 07, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blanche

In article , Owen Rogers wrote:
Blanche wrote:
[...]

Interesting. The official DOT/FAA/NACO website titled Dates of Latest Editions
(publish date of July 1, 2007) has the Balt-DC dates of Aug 30, 2007.
My bad...I saw the Aug 2 date on the previous edition dated April 1, 2007.
So, obviously someone in June knew about the changes in the charts
and pushed the dates down to Aug 30.

In fact, there's now a footnote that states the Aug 30 publication date
is "tentative schedule date", which wasn't on the April 1 list.

drug/alcohol testing policy: effective? gatt Piloting 159 January 28th 05 07:19 AM
Effective Email Marketing Jack Brown Piloting 0 November 29th 04 11:23 PM
Seneca III effective range Mark Owning 8 November 3rd 03 04:06 PM
Are aircraft cost-effective for defensive purposes? Chad Irby Military Aviation 6 September 12th 03 01:23 AM