BRAKE FLUID

Old October 13th 04, 04:34 PM
Ventus B

Default BRAKE FLUID

The maintenance manual for my ASW 20C glider says to be sure to only
use "mineral oil" based brake fluid for the hydraulic brake system.
As far as I can tell, DOT 3 and DOT 4 brake fluids are glycol based,
and DOT 5 is silicone based according to my 15 minutes of research on
the internet. The problem is, I still can't tell if any of these meet
Schleicher's admonition to only use mineral oil based brake fluid. I
would suspect that of the three, that the DOT 5 silicone based fluid
appears to be the right one. Can anyone corroborate this? Anybody
know the "right" answer?
Thanks,
Old October 13th 04, 06:17 PM
Bob Kuykendall

Earlier, Ventus B wrote:

The maintenance manual for my ASW 20C glider
says to be sure to only use 'mineral oil' based
brake fluid for the hydraulic brake system.

MIL-5606 is pretty much the standard mineral-based
hydraulic fluid for aircraft applications. It costs
about $6/quart from Aircraft Spruce:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...omponents.html

As far as I can tell, DOT 3 and DOT 4 brake fluids
are glycol based, and DOT 5 is silicone based
according to my 15 minutes of research on
the internet. The problem is, I still can't tell
if any
of these meet Schleicher's admonition to only use
mineral oil based brake fluid. I would suspect
that of the three, that the DOT 5 silicone based
fluid appears to be the right one. Can anyone
corroborate this? Anybody know the 'right'
answer?

When I cobbled together a brake system for my HP-18
using Yamaha and Cleveland brake parts, I decided to
use a silicone brake fluid as well. It was the only
thing I knew (from experience) to be compatible with
both the DOT 3-compatible seals of the master cylinder
and the MIL 5606-compatible seals in the caliper.

Getting slightly off-topic, I'm betting that we're
T-minus a few minutes to a cap-locked post about how
silicone should never be allowed with 50 meters of
a composite strucure, or else it will never be repairable.
I've heard plenty of folks say that, but I have not
seen any substantiation in any of the composite glider
repair manuals I've read.

Thanks, and best regards to all

Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24

Old October 13th 04, 08:51 PM
John Sinclair

Bob's right, 5606 and its colored RED to keep us dummies
straight. My Genesis uses it also as does most ships
that use Cleveland brakes except Grob, but they always
were different.
:( JJ

Old October 13th 04, 09:08 PM
Eric Greenwell

Bob Kuykendall wrote:
Earlier, Ventus B wrote:

The maintenance manual for my ASW 20C glider
says to be sure to only use 'mineral oil' based
brake fluid for the hydraulic brake system.

MIL-5606 is pretty much the standard mineral-based
hydraulic fluid for aircraft applications. It costs
about $6/quart from Aircraft Spruce:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/...omponents.html

Since the 20C uses a standard Cleveland aircraft brake system , any
aircraft repair facility will also have it. They will be happy to
service your brakes, or likely sell you some fluid, in case you want
some sooner than ordering it.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old October 14th 04, 02:12 AM
Ventus B

Bob Kuykendall wrote in message ...
Earlier, Ventus B wrote:

[...]

Bob, thanks for the advice. I should have gone to the source first.
After I posted this question, I emailed Eastern Sailplane to ask their
advice. John recommended that I use Aeroshell Fluid 4, one of the
"red" aviation brake fluids. Thanks for your reply though.
Old October 17th 04, 06:09 AM
Ian McPhee

I seem to remember the Grob 109A (and possibly early Dimona h36)used
Auto type fluid but then Tost or whoever changed to Aviation fluids
and this happened with G109B. It is confusing and a big clear notice
next to Master would be a good idea. A friend who had G109A in the
old days then had an ASH25E and without looking at manual used Auto
fluid before he realised the Germans had changed to Aviation with the
ASH. .........Ian McPhee Australia
Old October 17th 04, 07:25 PM
Eric Greenwell

Ian McPhee wrote:
I seem to remember the Grob 109A (and possibly early Dimona h36)used
Auto type fluid but then Tost or whoever changed to Aviation fluids
and this happened with G109B. It is confusing and a big clear notice
next to Master would be a good idea. A friend who had G109A in the
old days then had an ASH25E and without looking at manual used Auto
fluid before he realised the Germans had changed to Aviation with the
ASH. .........Ian McPhee Australia

The ASW 20 B/C (first delivered in 1983, I think) had the Cleveland disk
brake, which is an aviation unit, and it uses the standard aviation
fluid. I don't think you can mark a date when the "Germans" changed to
aviation fluid, but must use the manual for your particular glider (or
motor vehicle, for that matter).

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA