2022 SSA Convention?

Old March 1st 21, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default 2022 SSA Convention?

Things appear to be improving for air travel, borders, vaccination, and I'm wondering if there have been decisions on whether there will be a 2022 Convention, in the spring, and, if yes, its location? The links on the SSA webpage still go to Little Rock 2020 ( I went to both LR conventions, the 2020 was less icy).

2D
Old March 2nd 21, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

How about somewhere warmer and potentially sunny like Tucson AZ?
Nick
Old March 2nd 21, 08:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matthew Scutter

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021 at 1:50:39 PM UTC+10, wrote:
How about somewhere warmer and potentially sunny like Tucson AZ?
Nick

How about somewhere with many international connections for all the foreign visitors?
Old March 2nd 21, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

El martes, 2 de marzo de 2021 a la(s) 04:28:51 UTC-3, Matthew Scutter escribió:
On Tuesday, March 2, 2021 at 1:50:39 PM UTC+10, nickkennedy... wrote:
How about somewhere warmer and potentially sunny like Tucson AZ?
Nick

How about somewhere with many international connections for all the foreign visitors?

Totally... Miami is warm and cheap from Argentina
Old March 2nd 21, 02:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 8:50:39 PM UTC-7, wrote:
How about somewhere warmer and potentially sunny like Tucson AZ?
Nick

Tucson won't work for February. That is when the GEM show happens all month long. Lot of visitors from all over the world, hotels are marked up and all the space is taken. For those who don't know about the GEM show, it is one of the largest rock, gem and mineral shows in the world. If you're into that it is worth a visit.
Old March 2nd 21, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

Could the convention be moved to March? Or is it set in stone for Feb?

Tucson, that time of year, is nice, you could bring your family, there's a lot to do and see there.

Tucson a glider port too, if someone wanted to turn it in to a flying trip. Estrella is right down the freeway too. Estrella is a unique and very cool place to hang out for several days. I've never been to the Tucson club site, but I do know its active and they put a lot of flights up on the OLC.
Nick
Old March 2nd 21, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

I was just thinking it would be nice to go somewhere in Feb March that's OUT of the snow.
That time of year a lot of people are sick of the snow and cold, including me.
Little Rock in Feb? Fergetabout it.
Reno? Too Cold and potentially snowy.
SoCal? Nope ain't going there.
I would go to Miami thou!
Not much chance of snow there!
Nick
Old March 2nd 21, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 9:56:59 AM UTC-7, Dan Daly wrote:
Things appear to be improving for air travel, borders, vaccination, and I'm wondering if there have been decisions on whether there will be a 2022 Convention, in the spring, and, if yes, its location? The links on the SSA webpage still go to Little Rock 2020 ( I went to both LR conventions, the 2020 was less icy).

2D

Should know soon as negotiations are in progress. Warm and sunny would be nice, but I doubt the vendors would bring gliders to Aruba;^). Some don't like March because it's the start of XC and contest season in many areas. I've asked that the show be extended by a day to include Weds so we can add some workshops, roundtables, presentations, and perhaps hold the board and EXCOM meetings earlier. We'll see.

Little Rock was a great venue but attendance fell a little short. Some venues are just flat out too expensive, others too small as 90,000-110,000 sqft are needed for vendors and sailplanes, plus meeting and meal rooms. We took a serious look at Florida, but the hotel costs were too high, though SSA would have received a substantial kick-back, the concern was that many wouldn't come due to the high cost of lodging.

Hopefully by 2022, people will be confident in traveling and attending.

Frank Whiteley
SSA Director, R9
Old March 2nd 21, 07:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wallace Berry[_2_]

I thought Greenville, SC was a great location.
Old March 2nd 21, 09:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021 at 11:48:08 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I thought Greenville, SC was a great location.

Nice venue. Surprised that attendance wasn't a bit higher. Another 200 and it would definitely be on the SSA where to go list. Weather up north was a factor for some that planned to drive.

Airline connections were not direct, but got to fly in a Dash-8 a couple of times getting to/from a major hub. That was kind of fun. Also got out of there in an RJ-200 after the BOD meeting the year prior, which wasn't much fun but interesting for the first time on a Bombardier.

Generally prefer a convention center attached to a hotel also though I thought they did a good job with transport.

SSA Convention Waveguru Soaring 7 February 19th 16 03:37 AM
KS/Birds at SSA Convention [email protected] Soaring 1 February 2nd 16 04:36 PM
SSA Convention Schedule vontresc Soaring 0 December 10th 10 04:20 PM
SSA Convention Greg Arnold Soaring 29 February 2nd 10 01:25 PM
SSA CONVENTION [email protected] Soaring 4 February 2nd 10 12:56 PM