Aircraft registration ???

Old October 23rd 03, 03:57 AM
Ludlow Johnson

Default Aircraft registration ???

Saw a helicopter over the week end with the following registration.

5N-RAA

When I tried to look this up in the FAA data base is states that you
can not register aircraft with more than 2 alpha characters.

If so, could this be some sort of government aircraft. I do seem to
rememebr seeing some sort of small decal referring to the "government"

TIA

Ludlow Johnson
Tomball, TX
Old October 23rd 03, 04:07 AM
Craig Prouse

"Ludlow Johnson" wrote:

Saw a helicopter over the week end with the following registration.

5N-RAA

When I tried to look this up in the FAA data base is states that you
can not register aircraft with more than 2 alpha characters.

If so, could this be some sort of government aircraft. I do seem to
rememebr seeing some sort of small decal referring to the "government"

It's not a US (FAA) registration.

I did a Google on "aircraft registration 5N" and it appears that your
helicopter is from Nigeria.

Old October 23rd 03, 07:29 AM
Craig

Ludlow Johnson wrote in message . ..
Saw a helicopter over the week end with the following registration.

5N-RAA

When I tried to look this up in the FAA data base is states that you
can not register aircraft with more than 2 alpha characters.

5N is one prefix for Nigeria......

Craig C.

Old October 23rd 03, 05:50 PM
Robert Lyons

Craig wrote:
Ludlow Johnson wrote in message . ..

Saw a helicopter over the week end with the following registration.

5N-RAA

When I tried to look this up in the FAA data base is states that you
can not register aircraft with more than 2 alpha characters.

5N is one prefix for Nigeria......

Interesting - 5N is also an amateur radio callsign prefix for
Nigeria. Is this a general rule? Are the two prefix systems indeed
related?

- Bo

Old October 23rd 03, 06:26 PM
Ron Natalie

"Robert Lyons" wrote in message ...

Interesting - 5N is also an amateur radio callsign prefix for
Nigeria. Is this a general rule? Are the two prefix systems indeed
related?

It's not strictly related, obviously as canada is C- and not VE, etc..
but a lot of it's the same, especially once you get out of the British
Commonwealth and the other LARGE countries.

Old October 23rd 03, 07:57 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Ludlow Johnson" wrote in message

Saw a helicopter over the week end with the following registration.

5N-RAA

When I tried to look this up in the FAA data base is states that you
can not register aircraft with more than 2 alpha characters.

If so, could this be some sort of government aircraft. I do seem to
rememebr seeing some sort of small decal referring to the "government"

5N is Nigerian registry.

Old October 23rd 03, 08:00 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Craig" wrote in message
om...

5N is one prefix for Nigeria......

One prefix for Nigeria? According to FAA Handbook 7340.1 it's the only one.

Old October 24th 03, 07:11 AM
Craig

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message link.net...
"Craig" wrote in message
om...

5N is one prefix for Nigeria......

One prefix for Nigeria? According to FAA Handbook 7340.1 it's the only one.

Check the database on landings.com and they show VR as another ICAO
recognized prefix for Nigeria. It may be that the VR's are being
phased out or converted to 5N's over time though.

Craig C.

Old October 24th 03, 12:13 PM
Pat Thronson

Every time I try to view the www.landings.com web site, Somebody wants me to
down load the evird.acgi file, about 5 times. I have checked this file and
the nearest I can tell it is an Apple file. My Windows XP-Pro does not like
this
file and will not go any further. I do have proper virus protection, fire
wall and Google 2.0 pop up running. I can view some of the page through
Goggle's cache but the next move causes this file "evird" to start the down
out the status of a dear
old friend of mine, N9965B

Thanks for any help

Pat Thronson

om...

Old October 24th 03, 04:10 PM
karl gruber

Pat,

You can search directly from the FAA site:

http://162.58.35.241/acdatabase/acmain.htm

BTW, your old friend is in the coldest spot in the lower 48!

Karl