prop test engine- cheap

Old March 7th 05, 03:28 AM

Default prop test engine- cheap

What have folks found to be the cheapest engine to swing a prop for
function and reliability testing? Needs about 100 hp at 2500rpm with
maybe a little extra up to 2800rpm. I would rather not go direct drive
if I can help it but that might be the cheapest way.

I thought about jacking my truck up and using a shaft off of the
driveline in some sort of big steel fixture. Now that would be
interesting. Heck, I could make a barge for my truck and "drive" it
around the lake like a big airboat

Seriously though, what's the cheapest option out there?

Joa

Old March 7th 05, 03:36 AM
MikeR

wrote in message
oups.com...
What have folks found to be the cheapest engine to swing a prop for
function and reliability testing? Needs about 100 hp at 2500rpm with
maybe a little extra up to 2800rpm. I would rather not go direct drive
if I can help it but that might be the cheapest way.

I thought about jacking my truck up and using a shaft off of the
driveline in some sort of big steel fixture. Now that would be
interesting. Heck, I could make a barge for my truck and "drive" it
around the lake like a big airboat

Seriously though, what's the cheapest option out there?

Joa

How about a junkyard motor?

Old March 7th 05, 07:18 AM
Jan Carlsson

If you want to test a prop, for reliability, you must test it with that sort
of engine it is supposed to be on, for vibration reasons.

Jan Carlsson
www.jcpropellerdesign.com

oups.com...

Old March 8th 05, 06:27 PM

Yes, it will definitely get tested later on the correct engine. I want
to do an initial run to veryify a few things first though.

What 100hp junk-yard engine could be readily adapted to a prop but not
have nasty torsional issues?

Joa