Location of B-1A Number One Prototype (s/n 74-158)?

Old June 2nd 04, 04:25 PM
Martin

Default Location of B-1A Number One Prototype (s/n 74-158)?

Does anyone know the current location of the first B-1A prototype (s/n
74-158)? I have information that it is located either at Rome
Research Site in New York, at the Edwards Air Force base museum, or
dismantled.

Does anyone absolutely know where B-1A No. 1 (74-158) currently is?

Thanks,

Martin
Old June 2nd 04, 06:19 PM
breyfogle

B1A#1 was disassembled and shipped to Rome N.Y. to support ECM testing in
1985. Don't know if the pieces are still all in the same place
om...

Old June 2nd 04, 07:59 PM
John A. Weeks III

In article , Martin
wrote:

Does anyone know the current location of the first B-1A prototype (s/n
74-158)? I have information that it is located either at Rome
Research Site in New York, at the Edwards Air Force base museum, or
dismantled.

Does anyone absolutely know where B-1A No. 1 (74-158) currently is?

I don't have any first hand info, but my notes indicate the
following for the (4) B-1A's.

74-158 - dismanted and used as a weapons trainer at Lowry AFB
74-159 - crashed, fuselage stored at Edwards AFB ATC
74-160 - on display at Wings Over The Rockies Museum, Denver
76-174 - was on display at USAF Museum, Dayton. Reported to
have been moved to the SAC Museum, Ashland, Nebraska.

It would be nice to confirm the data on 158 and 159, especially
since Lowry AFB has subsequently been closed down.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Old June 2nd 04, 08:10 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message

I don't have any first hand info, but my notes indicate the
following for the (4) B-1A's.

74-158 - dismanted and used as a weapons trainer at Lowry AFB
74-159 - crashed, fuselage stored at Edwards AFB ATC
74-160 - on display at Wings Over The Rockies Museum, Denver
76-174 - was on display at USAF Museum, Dayton. Reported to
have been moved to the SAC Museum, Ashland, Nebraska.

It would be nice to confirm the data on 158 and 159, especially
since Lowry AFB has subsequently been closed down.

Wings Over the Rockies Air and Space Museum is housed in a former Lowry AFB
hangar.

Old June 2nd 04, 09:04 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 19:10:07 GMT, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message

I don't have any first hand info, but my notes indicate the
following for the (4) B-1A's.

74-160 - on display at Wings Over The Rockies Museum, Denver

It would be nice to confirm the data on 158 and 159, especially
since Lowry AFB has subsequently been closed down.

Wings Over the Rockies Air and Space Museum is housed in a former Lowry AFB
hangar.

WOtR is in the old Hangar 1 and is still operating. It's a worthwhile
trip for anyone passing through Denver with an interest in USAF
airplanes. There's a B-52 display outside. Inside, the B-1A is in
great shape as well as an F-111. Lots of Century Series stuff--some
good, some not so good. An excellent F-4E that looks ready to fly. The
F-105 is clean, but not very complete--cockpit has been pillaged, no
seat, tapes, stick grip, etc. Painted in Air Defense gloss gray it
doesn't look good at all.

One of the more interesting ones on display is a "parasite" F-84 that
has the trapeze hook from the B-36 evaluations.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old June 2nd 04, 09:14 PM
SteveM8597

76-174 - was on display at USAF Museum, Dayton. Reported to
have been moved to the SAC Museum, Ashland, Nebraska.

I am not sure about that but it doesn't matter since the new museum now has a
real B-1 on display
Old June 2nd 04, 09:17 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"SteveM8597" wrote in message

I am not sure about that but it doesn't matter since the new museum now
has a real B-1 on display

New museum? Real B-1?

Old June 2nd 04, 11:30 PM
SteveM8597

I am not sure about that but it doesn't matter since the new museum now
has a real B-1 on display

New museum? Real B-1?

New extension to the museum, B-1B noxt to the phony B-2
Old June 3rd 04, 04:15 AM
Bob Urz

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"John A. Weeks III" wrote in message

I don't have any first hand info, but my notes indicate the
following for the (4) B-1A's.

74-158 - dismanted and used as a weapons trainer at Lowry AFB
74-159 - crashed, fuselage stored at Edwards AFB ATC
74-160 - on display at Wings Over The Rockies Museum, Denver
76-174 - was on display at USAF Museum, Dayton. Reported to
have been moved to the SAC Museum, Ashland, Nebraska.

The B1 is in nebraska and is in the process of restoration at
the museum there. A buddy of mine crawled into the cockpit last
week while he was there on other business.

Bob