Drones for local sounding...

Old April 27th 14, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Drones for local sounding...

Does anyone use a drone for local sounding ?
What kind of drone ? Where can I buy one ?
Maximum altitude achieved ?
Thanks in advance -
Old April 27th 14, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

In the USA, the FAA has a voluntary standard for model aircraft that limits operation to 400 feet AGL.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/1acfc3f689769a56862569e70077c9cc/$FILE/ATTBJMAC/ac91-57.pdf

The new legislation for UAVs picks up that 400 AGL limit as I recall.

That said, there are pirates flying quadcopters much higher (7000 meters?). Search Youtube for 'quadcopter altitude record'.
Old April 28th 14, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

There is also guidance for flying "RC aircraft" as a hobbiest within 3 miles of an airport. It can be done with proper precautions.
Can you see the RC or quad copter from 6000 to 8000 ft away safely to operate it?

BillT
Old April 28th 14, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SoaringXCellence

On Sunday, April 27, 2014 3:32:49 PM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
In the USA, the FAA has a voluntary standard for model aircraft that limits operation to 400 feet AGL.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/1acfc3f689769a56862569e70077c9cc/$FILE/ATTBJMAC/ac91-57.pdf

The new legislation for UAVs picks up that 400 AGL limit as I recall.

That said, there are pirates flying quadcopters much higher (7000 meters?). Search Youtube for 'quadcopter altitude record'.

Actually the FAA has no specific height limit for model aircraft. The Academy of Model Aeronautics (governing and insuring body for model competitions) has a safety rule that limits altitude to 400 feet within 2 miles of an airport, but allows other altitudes elsewhere and also with permission of the airport operator. Many of the model sailplanes are operating at altitudes above 3000 AGL when participating in XC contests, they are required to have a specific observer looking for full-sized aircraft to avoid collision.

If a model is being flow outside of a contest, and not by a member of the AMA, then all bets are off!
Old April 28th 14, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Sunday, April 27, 2014 7:23:16 PM UTC-4, SoaringXCellence wrote:

Actually the FAA has no specific height limit for model aircraft.

"Do not fly model aircraft higher than 400 feet above the surface."

Old May 4th 14, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Using the argument that they are not aircraft and that they are therefore NOT under FAA jurisdiction, some UAV operators are asserting their rights to fly their aircraft in Class B airspace.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngogl...ne-pilot-case/
Old May 4th 14, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

son_of_flubber wrote, On 5/3/2014 5:33 PM:
Using the argument that they are not aircraft and that they are
therefore NOT under FAA jurisdiction, some UAV operators are
asserting their rights to fly their aircraft in Class B airspace.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngogl...ne-pilot-case/

I did not see anything in the article related to Class B airspace.

email me)
- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm
http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl
Old May 4th 14, 10:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

On Sunday, May 4, 2014 2:33:05 AM UTC+2, son_of_flubber wrote:
Using the argument that they are not aircraft and that they are therefore NOT under FAA jurisdiction, some UAV operators are asserting their rights to fly their aircraft in Class B airspace.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngogl...ne-pilot-case/

Hmmm .... a drone in class B airspace? Wait until one of them gets sucked through an engine or leaves a long lasting impression in the nose of a jet. I am always shocked by what stupid things people do just because they can and because there are no rules saying you can't do it. The same bunch of guys then cries wolf for 'government over-reach' or 'over-regulation', if everything gets regulated. Common sense seems to have vanished!
GM
Old May 4th 14, 12:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Sunday, May 4, 2014 12:09:01 AM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:

I did not see anything in the article related to Class B airspace.

Right, I posted that particular article because it seemed of marginally better quality than this more highly editorialized article that mentions Class B http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the...ies-is-a-crime

The Class B in question is the surface to 10000 AGL bottom layer of the upside down layer cake.

Here is another case that is trying to stretch existing regulations to cover UAVs. Of note is the 'You're not my boss, so don't tell me what to do.' rabble-rousing tone that reflects poorly on the UAV community.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorym...on-their-side/

The UAV hobbyists communities are in general doing some really exciting things http://www.meetup.com/DC-Area-Drone-User-Group/
Old May 4th 14, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

While I agree that common sense is definitely on the decline, common sense
would eliminate the upsidedown wedding cake and regulate only the arrival
and departure routes. What mad man actually believes that all of the
airspace in a Class B area is actually required for safe airline operation?

Stupidity is in the eye of the beholder and not necessarily fact. Tell the
airshow pilot that an inverted, low level ribbon cut is "stupid". I'm only
arguing for intelligent regulation of airspace in place of the standard 30
nm around a busy airport.

And, yes, I don't think it's wise to poke the bear by violating the rules of
"good sense".

"GM" wrote in message
On Sunday, May 4, 2014 2:33:05 AM UTC+2, son_of_flubber wrote:
Using the argument that they are not aircraft and that they are therefore
NOT under FAA jurisdiction, some UAV operators are asserting their rights
to fly their aircraft in Class B airspace.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngogl...ne-pilot-case/

Hmmm .... a drone in class B airspace? Wait until one of them gets sucked
through an engine or leaves a long lasting impression in the nose of a jet.
I am always shocked by what stupid things people do just because they can
and because there are no rules saying you can't do it. The same bunch of
guys then cries wolf for 'government over-reach' or 'over-regulation', if
everything gets regulated. Common sense seems to have vanished!
GM

Today at Oshkosh [20/34] - "19 One last look at the bes-sounding planes in the show.jpg" yEnc (1/1) Just Plane Noise Aviation Photos 1 July 25th 07 08:22 AM
sounding software medirect Soaring 1 August 12th 06 12:08 AM
What's the best sounding aircraft you ever heard? DeltaDeltaDelta Piloting 75 December 6th 03 03:46 AM