AVSIM List Server Emails Blocked

Old August 21st 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.simulators
RobertVA

Default AVSIM List Server Emails Blocked

Tom Allensworth wrote:
Sorry to spam the newsgroups, but we thought this needed to get out to
as large an audience as possible. Please spread the word so that
others are aware of the situation. We posted this on the front page
today:

"Many thousands of you are subscribers to the daily AVSIM Library Mail
List emailings that inform you of new uploads to the AVSIM Library
over the previous 24 hours. A couple of weeks ago, we started getting
complaints from some users of this list that their email updates were
not being sent. Well, in fact, they are being sent at approximately
4:30 a.m. EDT every morning. If you are an MSN, Hotmail, or some of
similar email services, you will find that your library update is not
getting to you. Yes, we are sending the list every morning, as we have
been doing for a couple of years now. The problem is that MSN, Hotmail
and others have deemed those email to be spam, and they are blocking
receipt of YOUR requested list server updates. We have contacted
MSN/Hotmail and have attempted to convince them that YOUR requested
list server email is legitimate. Seemingly, that explanation has not
worked as MSN/Hotmail users and others are still not receiving their
daily update. All we can suggest is that if you wish to get your daily
update back, that you raise the issue with your service provider and
re-enforce the point that you have requested that email, and that they
are blocking legitimate communications from AVSIM. "

Stan Mattingly wrote:
I blocked all communication with AVSIM ON PURPOSE. I personally hate
the faux forums there. But as you say Allensworth, you are spamming
the newsgroups, so why not whine somewhere else? If this were AVSIM
and somebody spammed like this, you'd lock the thread and delete the
user wouldn't ya?

Double standard, but AVSIM hipocracy is legendary already.

Stan:

If you want to set up a filter to block messages from AVSIM that's FINE.
But such opinions about AVSIM shouldn't prevent less critical (of AVSIM)
MSN/Hotmail subscribers from being able to receive AVSIM email notices.

But an ISP shouldn't be completely blocking emails like that unless the
subscriber tells them to. MSN/Hotmail has filters allow a subscriber
(paid or free) to divert suspected spam into a folder where the
subscriber has a few days to "rescue" items the subscriber decides
should go to the regular inbox. The subscriber can also generate a white
list which MSN/Hotmail says will pass messages that would normally be
caught in the spam filters.

But you SHOULD check you accounts settings for the "junk mail" (spam)
disposition settings. MSN/Hotmail offers the option to automatically
delete spam caught in the spam filter instead of diverting it to the on
line "junk mail" folder. With this option set any message that the
filter catches from a sender that is NOT on your account's white list
will disappear forever. Also these options can only be set from the web
browser interfaces (regular and Windows Live mail Beta) and are Not
accessible through Outlook or Outlook Express.