FA: Emergency Parachute, Navy ND-6 - One day left.

Old June 8th 05, 04:30 PM

Default FA: Emergency Parachute, Navy ND-6 - One day left.

Navy ND-6 Emergency Parachute
Just Repacked 5-30-05
Low Starting Bid, No Reserve
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4554088241

Old June 8th 05, 06:46 PM
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

The NB-6 (not ND-6) is an ex US Navy parachute.

The owner says the canopy was manufactured in March 1957.

I understand that this was one of the best emergency canopies of its day.
How many riggers would be prepared to re-pack for service a canopy this old?

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

ups.com...

Old June 8th 05, 07:26 PM
Bill Daniels

IIRC, the ND-6 was a "zipper pack" designed for near-instantaneous opening
for those pilots unlucky enough to eject from carrier deck height. I owned
one in the 1960's and at repack time, the rigger asked if he could jump it
since he had never experienced the opening of one. He offered to replace
anything that was damaged on the rig for free . Afterward, he swore that
was the worst opening shock he had ever experienced. Since he survived, I
considered the fast opening a safety feature.

The canopy can be replaced with a new-manufactured one if the rest of the
rig is in good shape.

Bill Daniels

"W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.)." wrote in message
The NB-6 (not ND-6) is an ex US Navy parachute.

The owner says the canopy was manufactured in March 1957.

I understand that this was one of the best emergency canopies of its day.
How many riggers would be prepared to re-pack for service a canopy this

old?

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

ups.com...

Old June 8th 05, 07:35 PM
JC

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 18:46:49 +0100, "W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\)."
wrote:

The NB-6 (not ND-6) is an ex US Navy parachute.

The owner says the canopy was manufactured in March 1957.

I understand that this was one of the best emergency canopies of its day.
How many riggers would be prepared to re-pack for service a canopy this old?

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

It was just repacked on May 31st. so there must be riggers who are
willing to repack it.
oups.com...

Old June 8th 05, 10:21 PM
Vaughn

"JC" wrote in message

It was just repacked on May 31st. so there must be riggers who are
willing to repack it.

At least one.

Vaughn

Old June 11th 05, 01:23 PM

As an active duty navy parachute rigger I would not trust a canopy that
old. something to think about is that the navy will not use a canopy
that is more than 14 years old. Ya'll are talking about one that is
almost 50 years old. It may have been one of the best canopies of the
day, but this canopies day has come and gone. Also a fast opening is
not always a good thing. If the chute opens too fast you can very
easily dislocate your hips, and trust me after the landing you would
not consider that fast opening a safety feature.