Straight-in landing

Old July 23rd 03, 08:07 PM
HankC

Default Straight-in landing

I'm 10 miles N of the field and the tower calls for a straight-in on runway 20.

What's the best way intercept the runway centerline?

Vaguely aiming for a point on the extended CL always seems too, well, vague...

Should I turn on base way out here and then a right turn onto the centerline?

fly a 45 degree angle (heading 155) to the CL?

something else?

Thanks,
HankC
Old July 23rd 03, 08:27 PM
Randy Wentzel

I'm 10 miles N of the field and the tower calls for a straight-in on
runway 20.

What's the best way intercept the runway centerline?

Vaguely aiming for a point on the extended CL always seems too, well,

vague...

Should I turn on base way out here and then a right turn onto the

centerline?

fly a 45 degree angle (heading 155) to the CL?

something else?

Thanks,
HankC

Hi Hank,

Intercepting final on a 45 is quick enough in most cases. I wouldn't turn a
formal base turn, but would rather just align myself with the center line
"quickly." It's a matter of reporting your position to other aircraft and
having a controlled approach from the get go. It's much easier to report to
other aircraft in the area that you are on a seven or eight mile final than
trying to report that you are somewhere else.

Hope that helps a little,

--
Randy

Old July 23rd 03, 08:31 PM
Bob Gardner

Angling over to intercept the extended centerline might seem vague, but it
is the best way to accomplish what the controller intends for you to do.
There is nothing in the regs, the AIM, or the controller's handbook that
specifically addresses this situation, so roll your own.

Bob Gardner

om...

Old July 23rd 03, 08:50 PM
Ron Natalie

"HankC" wrote in message om...
I'm 10 miles N of the field and the tower calls for a straight-in on runway 20.

What's the best way intercept the runway centerline?

In good VFR conditions, I'd just head straight for a point on the
extended centerline about a 1/4 mile out from the runway (i.e., a
base leg at a very obtuse angle).

In other cases, I might boogie over to the centerline and a decent
angle to pick up the localizer (if available).

Old July 23rd 03, 09:37 PM
H. Adam Stevens

I should think centerline intercept at 45 degrees or less well outside the
traffic pattern radius qualifies,
but otherwise "roll your own" about covers it.
Ask the controller to be more specific if you're unsure;
It's your ass up in the air, not his.
Hmm, let's do the trig:
Initial distance 10 mi.
Say "well outside pattern" = 3 miles from the center of the airport.
Two legs of the triangle are the 10 mile line to the airport center and the
three mile line along the extended runway 20 centerline.
The turn to centerline is 20 right if the bearing to the airport is 180 so
the included angle is 20 degrees.
The left correction is then arctan ((3*sin(20))/(10-3cos(20))) = 6.3 or so
degrees.
Make a 6.3 degree left turn and you'll intercept the centerline three miles
out.
Realistically what are you gong to do? Nudge it 5 left and see what happens.
H.
N502TB

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

om...

Old July 23rd 03, 11:51 PM
CVBreard

What's the best way intercept the runway centerline?

At $100/hr, I make a bee-line at high cruise for a point about 1/2 mile from
the approach end. (Assumes you're cleared to land, and #1)

But that's just me....I don't dawdle around in the pattern (at $100/hr).

And I don't land at the VASI touchdown point on long runways and then spend
5-10 unnecessary minutes taxiing, holding short, etc (at $100/hr). :-)

Time IS money!

Old July 24th 03, 02:24 AM
john smith

CVBreard wrote:

What's the best way intercept the runway centerline?

At $100/hr, I make a bee-line at high cruise for a point about 1/2 mile from
the approach end. (Assumes you're cleared to land, and #1)

But that's just me....I don't dawdle around in the pattern (at $100/hr).

And I don't land at the VASI touchdown point on long runways and then spend
5-10 unnecessary minutes taxiing, holding short, etc (at $100/hr). :-)

Time IS money!

Gee, I thought I was the only one that thought that way!
Old July 24th 03, 02:39 PM
Dennis O'Connor

I was at my hangar yesterday when I observed a local push a Scout out onto
the taxiway, fire it up, and takeoff directly from that spot... It did cut
down the Hobbs time, I guess...

Denny

Old July 24th 03, 06:04 PM
Marty Ross

In IFR approach designations, "straight-in" means a final approach course
that is less than 30 degrees from extended centerline.

Flying straight for the airport qualifies.

om...

Old July 25th 03, 02:59 AM
HankC

Thanks all.

Typically I shoot for David's approach as well. Get on the CL at
pattern altitude about 2-3 miles out. Just enough tine for a few
breaths and a look around before pulling the carb heat and the
throttle back...

HankC

David Megginson wrote in message ...
"Bob Gardner" writes:

I'm 10 miles N of the field and the tower calls for a straight-in
on runway 20.

Angling over to intercept the extended centerline might seem vague, but it
is the best way to accomplish what the controller intends for you to do.
There is nothing in the regs, the AIM, or the controller's handbook that
specifically addresses this situation, so roll your own.

I usually aim to intercept the extended centreline at least 2 SM from
the threshold in a situation like that: that way, I won't cut off
anyone on base or final in a regular circuit if tower screws up its
traffic flow. I go direct to threshold only if tower tells me to.

All the best,

David