Using GPS and Flight Planner in FS9

Old December 7th 04, 05:21 PM
Joe C

Default Using GPS and Flight Planner in FS9

I haven't gotten the hang of using the GPS unit so far in FS9. My
problem is I set up a flight plan and it gets loaded in the GPS unit
and I take off and ATC directs me, etc and everything is fine.

In route I find the active runway that I will be landing at. How do I
get the localizer info then for the active runway? Is that in the GPS
and if not where do I suppose to find it in flight? Thanks for you
help.

Joe C
Old December 8th 04, 02:45 AM
Carl Frisk

It is in the GPS but you have to learn how to page through it. Once you get the hang of it there is a wealth of info in
there. google the web to find some tutorials for the GPS also.

Or you can get them from the FS9 Map. Check out the learning center for more. Or get charts from Jeppeson or your
local FBO.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

Old December 8th 04, 04:08 AM
Randy Wentzel

Joe C wrote:
I haven't gotten the hang of using the GPS unit so far in FS9. My
problem is I set up a flight plan and it gets loaded in the GPS unit
and I take off and ATC directs me, etc and everything is fine.

In route I find the active runway that I will be landing at. How do I
get the localizer info then for the active runway? Is that in the GPS
and if not where do I suppose to find it in flight? Thanks for you
help.

Joe C

Hi Joe,

Like Carl said, use FS9's map to get the ILS/LOC frequency, runway
length and elevation information. Just double-click on the airport or
"object" you want more info on.

I spend about 1/2 my sim time flying IFR, so I use the flight planner
from the "Create a flight" or "File - Flight Planner" or "ATC - File a
flight plan" menu(s). I always choose to go direct via GPS. Once you've
setup your flight plan, use ATC to guide you along each leg of your trip
by "requesting IFR clearance" from the ATC menu. They'll tell you which
runway to use at your destination, etc. You'll still need to get the ILS
info from FS9's map page.

Having ATC there can be fun, and the final stages of the approach always
require a lot of work on your part keeping up with their heading and
altitude requests.

Have fun!

Randy
Old December 8th 04, 03:10 PM
Joe C

Carl, Randy,

Thanks for the feedback guys. I AM going to the map and clicking on
the airport but I am not getting much information. I of course must be
doing something wrong or something isn't configured right. I'll look
at it again.

Right now I have been doing what Randy does and using ATC to get close
to the airport then I use the GPS visually to land. I need to figure
out how to set the GPS into the autopilot in the Lear.

Yea, there is alot I don't know about the GPS but reading some of the
on line info hasn't helped much when I fly the Lear. I need to do some
more research now that I know the info is somewhere in the GPS. 8-)

Thanks.

Joe C.

Old December 8th 04, 11:50 PM
Carl Frisk

Review the Learning Center topics on GPS and Flight Planner in FS9.

--
....Carl Frisk
Anger is a brief madness.

Old December 9th 04, 01:34 PM
Joe C

Boy do I feel stupid. I now know why I was not seeing runway info when
double clicking on the airport icon in map view.....I was double
clicking on VOR icons! I had turned off airport icons without knowing
it and I wasn't paying attention to the icon I was clicking on!

It now works great and I had a very nice flight last night from Denver
to Salt lake with the Lear. Only problem was taxing forever around
Denver to get to 7L. Boy that is a big airport! 8-)

Joe C.

Old December 9th 04, 01:49 PM
Carl Frisk

Happy flying!