FA Ebay: EVANS VOLKSPLANE VP1 "A REAL BEAUTY"

Old June 9th 04, 06:00 PM
JR

Default FA Ebay: EVANS VOLKSPLANE VP1 "A REAL BEAUTY"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MESE%3AIT&rd=1

Old June 9th 04, 11:37 PM
Harry O

Interesting. It does not have the "jury strut" between the front spar and
the front strut brace (which is called out on the plans). I wonder what
else was skipped.

Old June 10th 04, 10:21 PM
Harry O

Actually, I wouldn't touch any airplane that left out structural parts. I
was pointing it out for those who might not be as familiar with the
airplane. But, since you are here, why were the jury struts (which keep the
wing struts from buckling under compression load) left off? This is
particularly important with the VP-1 since the wing struts are almost always
under compression.

om...

Old June 10th 04, 10:48 PM
JR

Listen up Mr. HARRY O

Your remark to make the aircraft sound unsafe was a fruitless attempt to
keep the plane from selling.

If you would had read the eBay listing it states I would prefer someone who
is familiar with the VP1 and plans to make corrections if desired on such
things. The jury struts can be easily installed by anyone who can drill two
holes.

Furthermore if you look at the pictures of the VP1
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/volksplane/lst
you would notice more than half of the planes don't have them.

Lastly, over the hundreds of hours documented in the plane's log book I
would say its safe to fly as is.
And to be exact The drawing for the jury struts is on page 48a and is dated
9-7-71 so plans prior to that DID NOT USE THEM.

The ad states this is a homebuilt and buyer should be aware.

If you wouldn't touch it,then move on and quit publicly bad mouthing my
airplane and quit trying to get others to jump on the bandwagon with you,
your not that convincing.

"Harry O" wrote in message
Actually, I wouldn't touch any airplane that left out structural parts. I
was pointing it out for those who might not be as familiar with the
airplane. But, since you are here, why were the jury struts (which keep

the
wing struts from buckling under compression load) left off? This is
particularly important with the VP-1 since the wing struts are almost

always
under compression.

om...

Old June 11th 04, 01:58 AM
Harry O

Sorry that you object answering legitimate questions. JR. Perhaps you
should not post if you are unwilling to answer anything.

I do know that the VP-1 jury struts were added in 1971 (page 48a), 5 years
after the prototype was built. It was handled as close to an AD as the
homebuilt community has. Mr. Evans sent out the new drawing by registered
letter to everyone who bought plans to the VP-1 and said that it had to be
incorporated in all new planes in addition to the suggestion that it be
retrofitted to the relatively few completed planes that were flying at that
time.

You have every right to build whatever you like in whatever manner you like.
Being a single place plane, you only endanger yourself. However, it is
irresponsible to hide this kind of information, if you know it -- and from
your post, you obviously do. The vague, generic disclaimer on the webpage
won't protect you if you knew this and did not specifically call attention
to it.

Old June 11th 04, 02:53 AM
Veeduber

Listen up Mr. HARRY O

I think we all heard what you had to say. And what you failed to say, too.

-R.S.Hoover