spaceship one

Old June 23rd 04, 06:15 PM
Steve VanSickle

From article , by (Harry K):

For two, their method of re-entry will never work if
returning from orbit. An admirable achievement nonetheless.

Why?
Old June 23rd 04, 06:33 PM
Del Rawlins

In .net UltraJohn
wrote:
I wanted n80km (I run 50 mile trail races, 50m =100km) but it was
taken by of all things a Beechcraft Starship!

In that case check the database, it may be available now...

Del Rawlins-
Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email.
Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:
http://www.rawlinsbrothers.org/bhfaq/
Old June 23rd 04, 07:21 PM
Regnirps

Big John wrote:

Charlie

I hear they put their pants on one leg at a time.

I'm not sure Paul can do that anymore.

-- Charlie Springer

Old June 23rd 04, 07:45 PM
FlyGuy

"Pianome" wrote in message news:Ng1Cc.89931$HG.26418@attbi_s53...
ANN Publisher Jim Campbell, flying just feet away from Scaled's
SpaceShipOne in a Beechcraft Starship chase plane, was the first to report
some indications of possible thermal or load damage on the aft portion of
the spacecraft, just in front of the rocket bell. --

Wow!!! Flying just "feet" away!!! Did Zoom get his space wings also???

Zoom probably went to some FBO in Florida on Monday, and managed to
get a ride in a Starship, making sure he was in the air at the same
time that SpaceShipOne was in the air in Mojave, listening to CNN on
the intercom. Lets see.. approximately 2700 miles between Mojave and
Florida. 2700 times 5280 feet = 14,256,000 feet.

So when you think about it, his statement was not a lie at all.. He
was just "feet" away at the time (14,256,000 of 'em)
Old June 23rd 04, 07:46 PM
Frank Hitlaw

(pacplyer) wrote in message . com...
Richard Lamb wrote
NOW (finally) we might get a better story that the
silly superficial questions asked by the news media.

How about this Richard: America has returned to manned space
launches... and it's not NASA!

We rocked around in an RV all night in 40 kt winds the night before
and were worried that the launch was going to be scrubbed. But
luckily high pressure was over the area and wind died down right
before taxi out. My friend Bubba flew Richard Branson in to Mojave in
a high dollar three blade helo and then landed him back on the top of
the theme restaurant at LAX (he just can't seem to make a low profile
entry anywhere!) William Shantner was supposedly there as well as Buzz
Aldrin. Most of the event was covered by a local FM station but they
screwed it up pretty bad so we just listened to the scanner. The wind
was still blowing stiff after t/o on top of our RV so I missed a lot
of the air to air conversation, but if anybody wants, I'll try to
narrate what I saw in detail. The test pilot community let me in on a
little secret: a major control failure occurred during launch and the
gyro Rutan used for attitude control tumbled (lost alignment.) This
caused an unplanned departure from the vertical profile. Mike M. took
over manually and saved the son of a bitch just in time! However,
this S-turn maneuver put them over 20 miles off course on the re-entry
window!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++snip++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

pacplyer

Amen Pac, did you read the press release from the May 13 flight?They
lost the platform on that flight as well. Maybe the INU just isn't up
to the sort of loads or speed they achieve.

Frank
Old June 23rd 04, 08:37 PM
Richard Lamb

Steve VanSickle wrote:

From article , by (Harry K):

For two, their method of re-entry will never work if
returning from orbit. An admirable achievement nonetheless.

Why?

Because it was designed to be a sub-orbital ship...
Old June 23rd 04, 09:04 PM
Steve VanSickle

From article , by Richard Lamb :

For two, their method of re-entry will never work if
returning from orbit. An admirable achievement nonetheless.

Why?

Because it was designed to be a sub-orbital ship...

This particular *design* won't work, yes, but why not the "method" (i.e.
moving surfaces to make for a "hands off" reentry)?