First Glider

Old October 3rd 04, 10:14 PM
Mike Lindsay

In article , OscarCVox
writes
High tech wheel pants and old fashion wing.

In fact the wing is much more high tech than the planks that have historically
been strapped onto various Cessnas and Pipers
It is tapered and has washout in the tips such that they are not providing lift
(and thus drag) at cruising speeds. You thus find that their cruising speed is
higher for the same horsepower engines than most convential (for that read spam
can american) aircraft.

And you can see out of them much better, too.
--
Mike Lindsay
Old October 4th 04, 06:03 AM
tango4

Tip washout allows the tips to stall after the roots and keeps the ailerons
effective just a little longer too. You'll find washout in almost every
aircraft wing except things like purpose designed aerobatic aircraft.

Ian

"OscarCVox" wrote in message
High tech wheel pants and old fashion wing.

In fact the wing is much more high tech than the planks that have
historically
been strapped onto various Cessnas and Pipers
It is tapered and has washout in the tips such that they are not providing
lift
(and thus drag) at cruising speeds. You thus find that their cruising
speed is
higher for the same horsepower engines than most convential (for that read
spam
can american) aircraft.
They are also very robust and we have decided to refurbish our 3 x DR400
tugs
rather than buy new ones as they do the job so well.
The only downside to wood and fabric is that they do not take kindly to
being
kept outside in inclement weather.
Now if only we could fit a water cooled deisel and airbrakes we would have
the
ideal tug
Nigel

Old October 4th 04, 07:10 AM
Eric Greenwell

OscarCVox wrote:

High tech wheel pants and old fashion wing.

In fact the wing is much more high tech than the planks that have historically
been strapped onto various Cessnas and Pipers
It is tapered and has washout in the tips such that they are not providing lift
(and thus drag) at cruising speeds. You thus find that their cruising speed is
higher for the same horsepower engines than most convential (for that read spam
can american) aircraft.

Of course, they are still producing drag; after all, they are in the
airstream. What they are not doing, according to your description, is
any useful!

More likely, the wing tips are producing lift, though the designer might
have selected the twist to optimize the lift distribution at cruising
speed; that is, an elliptical distribution. Or, as Ian suggests, to
improve the handling qualities.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old October 4th 04, 03:23 PM
F.L. Whiteley

"Mark James Boyd" wrote in message
Robert Ehrlich wrote:
Mark James Boyd wrote:
Stay away from wood. There's a reason it is uncommon
in current aircraft manufacturing.

Maybe uncommon in the USA, in France the most common 4 seats
airplane is probably the Robin DR400 which is, at least for the
wings, made of wood and fabric. Also widely used as a tow plane.

Oh, and keep in mind that this is just my opinion. I'm sure
there are lots of happy wood plane owners who love the things.
To each his own...

The wing's the thing. The Robin DR400 has an interesting planform and
effective flaps and good low speed performance for towing. All taper in the
wing begins at the dihedral break. I'm sure all following this thread have
checked out some images. If not, here are some.

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...nct_entry=true

One of my former UK clubs used Rollason Condors, a wood-fabric two-seat
towplane. http://www.100megsfree2.com/coughtrey/g-avxw.htm We had 100hp
and a 130hp versions. We didn't use the 100hp for two-seater launches, at
least with two up, or without headwind.

Another low-wing tow plane (metal) with good vis is the Socata Rallye,
usually 180hp but with 235hp option. Heavier, but still good for short
runways. Rode in and launched behind one of these in Aboyne.
http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...nct_entry=true

All have the low wing advantage without struts, multiple seats for
checkouts, and very good viz.

Don't know if this still holds true, but the UK also had a couple of other
reasonable (to me) rules. A pilot could become a tow pilot (in a club)
after 50 hours of PIC in power. A glider pilot couldn't carry PAX until 50
hours PIC in gliders.

Frank Whiteley

Old October 4th 04, 04:58 PM
Stefan

F.L. Whiteley wrote:

All have the low wing advantage without struts, multiple seats for
checkouts, and very good viz.

And, not to forget, they have a true stick, not that ridiculous half-cut
steering wheel.

Stefan

Sport Pilot - School Won't Offer Gary G Piloting 38 February 16th 05 10:41 AM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM
Restricting Glider Ops at Public Arpt. rjciii Soaring 36 August 25th 03 04:50 PM