sticking Actylene regulator

Old March 30th 10, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
wright1902glider

Default sticking Actylene regulator

Hello everyone,

I'm having an issue with my H-F acetylene torch rig. After nearly a
year of non-use, I fired it up over the weekend. Ox side was fine and
working exactly as expected. But the Act. regulator is having the
following issues:

1. With the regulator t-handle unscrewed completely, open the tank
valve, line-guage pressure starts creeping up.
2. With the tank valve open, screw in the t-handle to 4 psig. Does not
hold at 4 psig, starts creeping up.
3. With the tank valve open, screw in the t-handle to 4 psig, light
and adjust the torch, will sorta hold the pressure at 4 psig. But as
soon as the torch valve is closed, act. pressure starts creeping up.
4. Unscrew the t-handle, open the torch valve to vent the line,
pressure drops to zero. Close the torch valve, pressure starts
creeping up again.

Now I'm assuming that something in the act. regulator is "stuck open",
otherwise uncrewing the t-handle and venting the line pressure should
drop the line pressure to zero and keep it there. Also, if something
weren't stuck, the reg should hold the line pressure where it is set.

Now my question is, what to do about that? Can the reg be serviced,
and if so, how do I do it? Anybody have any experience in this area?

Thanks,
Harry
Old March 30th 10, 07:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fred the Red Shirt

On Mar 30, 12:33*pm, wright1902glider
wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm having an issue with my H-F acetylene torch rig.

Now my question is, what to do about that? Can the reg be serviced,
and if so, how do I do it? Anybody have any experience in this area?

I suggest you call the people who fill your tanks, or from whom you
bought the regulator.

And/or check to see if the regulator's manufacturer has a website.

--

FF
Old March 30th 10, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 11:32:47 -0700 (PDT), Fred the Red Shirt
wrote:

On Mar 30, 12:33Â*pm, wright1902glider
wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm having an issue with my H-F acetylene torch rig.

Now my question is, what to do about that? Can the reg be serviced,
and if so, how do I do it? Anybody have any experience in this area?

I suggest you call the people who fill your tanks, or from whom you
bought the regulator.

And/or check to see if the regulator's manufacturer has a website.

If it was bought at Princess Auto (in Canada) instead of Harbour
Frieght I'd just take it back and tell them what happened. Their motto
is "we're not satisfied until you are" - and they are pretty good at
it.
Old March 31st 10, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Brian Whatcott

Default sticking Acetylene regulator

wright1902glider wrote:
[...]

otherwise unscrewing the t-handle and venting the line pressure should
drop the line pressure to zero and keep it there. Also, if something
weren't stuck, the reg should hold the line pressure where it is set.

Now my question is, what to do about that? Can the reg be serviced,
and if so, how do I do it? Anybody have any experience in this area?

Thanks,
Harry

Sounds like a pin hole in the rubber seal to me. I had one fail this
way too. It was not too difficult to take the regulator apart,
notice the little round rubber disk with a central perforation, and
replace it with one I made from an auto wheel inner tube, with a center
hole punched by a $20 punch equipped with various mandrels (also from HF)

You might think twice before pulling this repair job on an oxygen
regulator however - grease it - and you have a nasty problem to say the
least.

Brian W
Old March 31st 10, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Grider Pirate

On Mar 30, 9:33*am, wright1902glider wrote:
[...]

It sounds like either a leak in the diaphragm, or a leaking needle /
seat. I used to rebuild my Smith's (brand) regulators whenever one
started misbehaving, until the lawyers "encouraged" the welding
suppliers not so sell parts.
Old April 2nd 10, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm having an issue with my H-F acetylene torch rig.

Now my question is, what to do about that? Can the reg be serviced,
and if so, how do I do it? Anybody have any experience in this area?

I suggest you call the people who fill your tanks, or from whom you
bought the regulator.

And/or check to see if the regulator's manufacturer has a website.

--

FF

He said at the start
It was a Harbor Fart
Old April 3rd 10, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm having an issue with my H-F acetylene torch rig.

Now my question is, what to do about that? Can the reg be serviced,
and if so, how do I do it? Anybody have any experience in this area?

I suggest you call the people who fill your tanks, or from whom you
bought the regulator.

And/or check to see if the regulator's manufacturer has a website.

--

FF

He said at the start
It was a Harbor Fart

I call it "Harbour Fright"
Old April 4th 10, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Fred the Red Shirt

wrote:
Hello everyone,

I'm having an issue with my H-F acetylene torch rig.

Now my question is, what to do about that? Can the reg be serviced,
and if so, how do I do it? Anybody have any experience in this area?

I suggest you call the people who fill your tanks, or from whom you
bought the regulator.

And/or check to see if the regulator's manufacturer has a website.

He said at the start
It was a Harbor Fart

But we don't know if he reads Chinese or speaks Mandarin, right?

--

FF

Zen and the sticking RG-45 rod wright1902glider Home Built 5 February 20th 09 07:10 AM
Sticking yoke soxinbox Owning 15 February 28th 06 05:36 AM
Sticking Lycoming O-360 valve again? [email protected] Owning 31 January 22nd 06 02:53 AM
STICKING YOUR NECK OUT? SelwayKid Piloting 4 January 3rd 04 01:13 AM
Sticking Starter Wayne Owning 5 September 2nd 03 07:26 PM