Thunderbird accidents

Old September 15th 03, 02:44 AM
Juvat

Actual footage of ejection...starts with F-16 in the last quarter of
the loop, pilot ejected in what looks like approaching a level
attitude...tail slightly low but the velocity vector was still below
the horizon

KBTV.com...http://www.ktvb.com/

Juvat
Old September 15th 03, 02:52 AM
Vee-One

"Hugh Jimancock" wrote in message
I saw Thunderbird #6 hit the dirt today at Mountain Home Air Force Base,

in
Idaho. Pretty spectacular.

Pilot made it out OK.

It looked like he either lost engine, or had a flight control failure. He
was coming out of the first loop right after takeoff. Might have been

coming
in too low too quick, but he punched out at 100', so I kinda doubt it was
that.

As an F-16 crew chief for 9 years, it was pretty shocking to see.

Another link to a Yahoo story...............

http://story.news.yahoo.com/newstmpl...air_show_crash

Old September 15th 03, 02:54 AM
Hugh Jimancock

Yeah, my bad on the "loop" call - it was a split-s.

/Whacks self in head with clue bat....

"Juvat" wrote in message
There are two links on the page to video, the top link shows the
F-16's steep climbout, rolls over for a Split-S [correcting my
impression that he was performing loop]...then the mushing bottom part
of the maneuver...

Juvat

Old September 15th 03, 03:11 AM
Mike Marron

Juvat wrote:

Actual footage of ejection...starts with F-16 in the last quarter of
the loop, pilot ejected in what looks like approaching a level
attitude...tail slightly low but the velocity vector was still below
the horizon

KBTV.com...http://www.ktvb.com/

Based on what I could see in the video, the F-16 was climbing
out after takeoff and then performed a split-ess with half-aileron
roll entry into a dive back towards the runway. Pilot did a nice job
and was in command 'till he ejected.

-Mike Marron
Old September 15th 03, 04:37 AM
John Doe

How about the one today ?

wrote in message
.. .
I am looking for information on the following Thunderbird accidents. Any
information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

F-100D breakup at Laughlin AFB in 1967
Accident a Hill AFB in May (?) 1981
Diamond crash at Indian Springs in 1982

Old September 15th 03, 05:44 PM
Darrell A. Larose

Mike Marron ) writes:
"Tex Houston" wrote:

See how simple life is?

Pompous ****.

Why? The info is easy to find, so I guess people need their hands held all
the time? Great education system.

Old September 15th 03, 06:10 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Darrell A. Larose" wrote in message
Mike Marron ) writes:
"Tex Houston" wrote:

See how simple life is?

Pompous ****.

Why? The info is easy to find, so I guess people need their hands held all
the time? Great education system.

Tex provides correct information, local newsgroup troll attacks.

By the way Maron, what sock were you before you posted as Maron?

Old September 15th 03, 06:20 PM
Marc Reeve

I am looking for information on the following Thunderbird accidents. Any
information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

F-100D breakup at Laughlin AFB in 1967

Pilot: Capt. Merrill McPeak
Problem: Wings came off during high-G pullup.
Pilot ejected safely.

(McPeak became Chief of Staff of the USAF in 1990, a position he held
until his retirement in 1994.)

Accident a Hill AFB in May (?) 1981

The only 1981 accident I can find is September 8, 1981 in Cleveland.
Post-show, flight leader Col. D.L. Smith was killed when his T-38
ingested several birds on takeoff. He and his crew chief ejected, but
his parachute did not open. (The crew chief survived.)

There was an F-16 crash at Hill AFB in August of '81, but the
Thunderbirds weren't yet flying F-16s.

Diamond crash at Indian Springs in 1982

What's to say? It was determined that the leader's (Maj. Norm Lowry)
aircraft sustained a mechanical malfunction that caused it to crash
(failure to pull up after completing a loop), and the three other
members of the diamond (Capt. Willie Mays, Capt. Joseph "Pete" Peterson,
and Capt. Mark Melancon), being focused on the leader, followed him in.
I seem to recall that there might have been a loose bolt in Major
Lowry's stick that had caused the stick to jam at just the wrong time.

At any rate, that was the end of the Thunderbirds flying T-38s - they
transitioned to F-16s for the 1983 season.

-Marc

--
Marc Reeve
actual email address after removal of 4s & spaces is
Old September 15th 03, 07:09 PM
SA

Hi

I did a quick search for Thunderbirds accidents, and found this webpage:
http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/st...515537091.html
which isn't about Thunderbirds accidents, but does mention that:

"While there were 36 major accidents that killed 24 Thunderbird pilots
between 1953 and 1981, there have been no fatalities and only one minor
accident since the 1982 tragedy -- a fact in which Creech took great pride."

I had no idea that there had been so many accidents involving the
Thunderbirds.
Was this because the pushed relativly "unreliable" planes of the 60's and
70's to (and beyond) their limits, or did they simply have a long string of
bad luck??

Does anyone know is other display teams have suffered a similar accident
rate?

Regards
Søren Augustesen
Søren Augustesen