How to find a CFII?

Old March 2nd 05, 10:30 PM

Default How to find a CFII?

I am ready to start working on my IFR training. I took an intensive
weekend crash course to pass the written and got a 93%, so that's out
of the way.

My CFI for my private was fabulous, but he was a real drill sergeant.
He's also no longer in the area. I have read Joe Campbell's IFR Diary
and that really isn't how I want to learn this time around. Maybe I'm
wrong, but I want a cool, calm, collected, thinking man's instructor.
Maybe it will take me longer than getting dropped into the war zone,
but for me I think it will be a better way to go.

I fly out of Centennial (APA) in Denver, CO. There are a couple of
large flight schools on the field with 30+ CFII's each plus a couple of
smaller clubs. My PPL examiner suggested a couple. How do you go about
finding a good one?

I am thinking about starting in a simulator for ten or so hours. I
thought I might try 5 instructors at two hours each and see how it
goes.

Any thoughts?

Old March 2nd 05, 10:57 PM
Jim Burns

Start with the end result and work backwards.... talk to pilots that you
believe are good IFR pilots and ask them for CFII references. You already
hit on a good source, your examiner, talk to him/her some more.

Jim

Old March 2nd 05, 11:00 PM
Jon Woellhaf

I'm at KBJC (Jeffco, Colorado). If you can find a really good instrument
instructor in the area, please let me know.

ups.com...

Old March 3rd 05, 12:09 AM
Helen Woods

When you interview the instructors, find out how much time they have in
actual. From there, use the same criteria you would for any instructor
- teaching style, availability, etc. You'll do yourself a big favor
though if you fly with someone experienced in real conditions.

Helen
Old March 3rd 05, 01:14 AM
Mitty

My criterion for instructors, PPL, IA, and Commercial was minimum 1000 hours and
the majority being "real" flying experience -- IMC, ice, flying into high
traffic airports and areas like ORD, good war stories ... etc. -- not just CFI
experience. I can own and read the same books that the 250-hour wonders have
read. I don't need an instructor for that. I need an instructor to teach me
from his experience with reality. I may have missed some good young instructors
but I have not regretted taking that approach.

Old March 7th 05, 05:56 PM
Robert M. Gary

There is a mix. I honestly believe there are a lot of instrument rated
pilots out there that are afraid to actually fly in IMC because their
CFIIs were too easy on them. For instrument training, more than any
other type of training, student *really* need to feel that their CFII
has taken them beyond what they will need. Your CFII should be giving
you distractions, having you change approaches as you dig for charts,
messing up radio freq etc. From the pilots I've flown with, I'd say at
least 50% of the instrument rated pilots had CFIIs that were too soft
on them and, as a result, they are not confident in the clouds.

-Robert, CFI