F-15 Eagle and F-14 Tomcat

Old July 6th 04, 06:55 AM
B2431

From: Scott Ferrin
Date: 7/5/2004 7:46 PM Central Daylight Time
On 5 Jul 2004 23:21:46 GMT, Blinky the Shark
wrote:

Brett wrote:

"Blinky the Shark" wrote:
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Yeff" wrote in message

The F-15 has a better Hollywood agent...

Hmmm..., I recall the F-14 being featured in a major Hollywood
production,
not so the F-15.

I have no dog in this fight, but didn't

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091278/

feature the F-15?

F-16's

Oh. Well, awright, then.

Iron Eagle shudder F-16s
Air Force One F-15s
Top Gun F-14s
Independence Day F-18s
Behind Enemy Lines F-18E (and a missile evasion sequence that makes
Iron Eagle look like a tape from Red Flag for authenticity)

Another piece of trash had a passenger compartment and a WSO position in an
F117. I don't recall the name, but an Army man played WSO.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old July 6th 04, 09:00 AM
Blinky the Shark

From: Scott Ferrin
Date: 7/5/2004 7:46 PM Central Daylight Time

wrote:

Brett wrote:

"Blinky the Shark" wrote:
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Yeff" wrote in message

The F-15 has a better Hollywood agent...

Hmmm..., I recall the F-14 being featured in a major Hollywood
production,
not so the F-15.

I have no dog in this fight, but didn't

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091278/

feature the F-15?

F-16's

Oh. Well, awright, then.

Iron Eagle shudder F-16s
Air Force One F-15s
Top Gun F-14s
Independence Day F-18s
Behind Enemy Lines F-18E (and a missile evasion sequence that makes
Iron Eagle look like a tape from Red Flag for authenticity)

Another piece of trash had a passenger compartment and a WSO position in an
F117. I don't recall the name, but an Army man played WSO.

Interceptors?

"Lt. Sean Lambert (Olivier Gruner) and his team of mercenaries (Glenn Plummer,
William Zabka) are deployed to investigate the crash of a squadron of F117's in
Mexico. Sean, his team, and a couple scientists sent by the Air Force go to
investigate the crash of the F117 to find a alien spacecraft instead. They must
track and destroy an alien that defies physics."

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
New June 23:
Old July 6th 04, 09:22 AM
Rob van Riel

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message link.net...
"Blinky the Shark" wrote in message
IIRC there was even a sequel (which probably sucked g).

I didn't see it, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

It did, in fact, all of the sequels did. That didn't stop me from
watching (parts of) them on the idiot box on occasion. I their
defence, they did show footage of some interesting aircraft, like
Rutan's Ares. I still want to know what they had to force feed those
Phantoms though to get them to pretend to be Migs :-)

Rob
Old July 6th 04, 09:25 AM
Ragnar

From: Scott Ferrin
Date: 7/5/2004 7:46 PM Central Daylight Time
wrote:

Brett wrote:

"Blinky the Shark" wrote:
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Yeff" wrote in message

The F-15 has a better Hollywood agent...

Hmmm..., I recall the F-14 being featured in a major Hollywood
production,
not so the F-15.

I have no dog in this fight, but didn't

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091278/

feature the F-15?

F-16's

Oh. Well, awright, then.

Iron Eagle shudder F-16s
Air Force One F-15s
Top Gun F-14s
Independence Day F-18s
Behind Enemy Lines F-18E (and a missile evasion sequence that makes
Iron Eagle look like a tape from Red Flag for authenticity)

Another piece of trash had a passenger compartment and a WSO position in

an
F117. I don't recall the name, but an Army man played WSO.

That was "Executive Decision", with Kurt Russell and Steven Seagal. IMHO,
the best movie Steven Seagal ever made - in the highlight of the whole
movie, he got sucked out of the F-117 at 30,000 feet with no parachute

The next hour or so of the movie is forgetable.

Old July 6th 04, 10:56 AM
Ron

IIRC there was even a sequel (which probably sucked g).

I didn't see it, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

It did, in fact, all of the sequels did. That didn't stop me from
watching (parts of) them on the idiot box on occasion. I their
defence, they did show footage of some interesting aircraft, like
Rutan's Ares. I still want to know what they had to force feed those
Phantoms though to get them to pretend to be Migs :-)

Rob

There were several sequels, and they managed to get worse each time. I think
after Iron eagle 2, they all went straight to video.

Ron
PA-31T Cheyenne II
Maharashtra Weather Modification Program
Pune, India

Old July 6th 04, 05:43 PM
Zamboni

[...]

"Interceptor" had a pair of F-117s being dropped from the back of a C-5,
followed by a dogfight (one F-117 was hijacked, see...).
--
Zamboni

Old July 6th 04, 06:02 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

It did, in fact, all of the [Iron Eagle] sequels did.

The original may make more sense if you think of it as opera --
specifically, a heavy metal rock opera by Ronnie James Dio -- rather
than as a literalist airplane movie. I never saw any of the sequels.

I still want to know what they had to force feed those
Phantoms though to get them to pretend to be Migs

Reminds me of something I saw about five minutes of on cable, killing
time while waiting for somebody. Capsule summary:

Two F-16 pilots out of Alaska are in some sort of intramural contest
to exceed 9 g by as much as they could bear. They stray over Russian
airspace and get intercepted by a couple of those Mig-Donnell products
(painted up as if for an attack role in the desert somewhere).
Missiles and ejection seats start flying around. The remaining F-16
guy and the still-functioning Phantomovich disengage and figure out
what to tell their respective higher-ups.

Complications presumably ensue, but I didn't get to see enough to
figure out what I was watching.

Why filmmakers would think one of the most distinctive looking jets in
the air could be palmed off as anything else (well, maybe a MiG-23
from some angles on dollar beer night), I have no idea. There's a
lot of things I don't know and many of them are in Hollywood...

--Joe
Old July 6th 04, 07:49 PM
B2431

From: "Ragnar"
Date: 7/6/2004 3:25 AM Central Daylight Time

From: Scott Ferrin

Date: 7/5/2004 7:46 PM Central Daylight Time
wrote:

Brett wrote:

"Blinky the Shark" wrote:
Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Yeff" wrote in message

[...]

The one I was thinking of involved leaving the F-117 in plain sight at an
unsecured airstrip for a day or two while they went to rescue some guy being
held by the bad guys. It was horrible to the point of being amusing.

Dan, U.S.Air Force, retired
Old July 6th 04, 10:51 PM
Johnny Bravo

On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 17:25:44 +0900, "Ragnar"
wrote:

Another piece of trash had a passenger compartment and a WSO position in

an
F117. I don't recall the name, but an Army man played WSO.

That was "Executive Decision", with Kurt Russell and Steven Seagal. IMHO,
the best movie Steven Seagal ever made - in the highlight of the whole
movie, he got sucked out of the F-117 at 30,000 feet with no parachute

The next hour or so of the movie is forgetable.

Can't forget to mention that this happens very early in the movie so
you don't even have to wait long for the good part before you change
the channel and watch something worthwhile.

--
"We will always remember. We will always be proud.
We will always be prepared, so we may always be free."