Martin Mars at Lake Elsinore #5

Old November 6th 07, 06:53 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Square Wheels[_3_]

Default Martin Mars at Lake Elsinore #5

British Columbia's very own water bomber at work during those massive
California fires.

I believe we sent at least 6 or 7 dowm there.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	who_says_flying_boat.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	19202
Old November 6th 07, 07:13 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
SHIVER ME TIMBERS

I believe we sent at least 6 or 7 dowm there.

Not of those we didn't.
Old November 6th 07, 07:51 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Square Wheels[_3_]

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 19:13:16 +0000, SHIVER ME TIMBERS wrote:

I believe we sent at least 6 or 7 dowm there.

Not of those we didn't.

No, you're absolutely correct. I believe that company has only 2 or 3 of
them -- all that are left, AFAIK.

But according to news reports, BC did send several similar aircraft,
probably from other companies or the Canadian Forces.

I should have been more clear on that point.

Sorry!

"I misspoke myself."

- Richard M. Nixon

SW

--
The quality of our thoughts is bordered on all sides by our facility with
language.

-J. Michael Straczynski, author (b.1954)

Old November 6th 07, 09:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Michael Huber[_2_]

According to WP, a total of 6 Martin Mars were built: The first Hawaii Mars
(lost 1947), the Marianas Mars (lost 1961), the Philippine Mars (with
Coulson), the Marshall Mars (lost 1950), the Caroline Mars (lost 1962), and
the second Hawaii Mars (with Coulson, the one photographed).

So a total of two out of six survive, both working as firebombers for
Coulson Flying Tankers.

MH.
Old November 6th 07, 10:09 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
SHIVER ME TIMBERS

Square Wheels wrote:

But according to news reports, BC did send several similar aircraft,
probably from other companies or the Canadian Forces.

I thought that Quebec sent a couple of the Canadair
215 ( radial ) or 415 ( turboprop ).

But an interesting curious question based on your comments.

Does the Canadian Forces have fire fighting aircraft.

I wasn't aware that they did.... but what do I know.

I should have been more clear on that point.

Oh I was just having a little fun too.

I can't remember just how many of the Martin Mars were built
but it was a small number I'm sure.

And I'm sure some kind sole will place the answer here...
Old November 6th 07, 10:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Robert Sveinson

"Square Wheels" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 19:13:16 +0000, SHIVER ME TIMBERS wrote:

I believe we sent at least 6 or 7 dowm there.

Not of those we didn't.

No, you're absolutely correct. I believe that company has only 2 or 3 of
them -- all that are left, AFAIK.

There are only 2 Martin Mars left in flying
condition and both reside on Vancouver Island.

But according to news reports, BC did send several similar aircraft,
probably from other companies or the Canadian Forces.

There were 2 CL-215s from Quebec also.

Old November 7th 07, 03:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Square Wheels[_3_]

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 22:09:09 +0000, SHIVER ME TIMBERS wrote:

Square Wheels wrote:

But according to news reports, BC did send several similar aircraft,
probably from other companies or the Canadian Forces.

I thought that Quebec sent a couple of the Canadair
215 ( radial ) or 415 ( turboprop ).

But an interesting curious question based on your comments.

Does the Canadian Forces have fire fighting aircraft.

I wasn't aware that they did.... but what do I know.

More than I do likely; I'm not an 'aircraft-guy', I just like looking at
the pix and learning whatever I can....

My best friend was a commercial pilot until he developed pigmentary
glaucoma, a friend and colleague is a commercial pilot and has
written several books on aircraft and aircraft incidents, and my
cousin was a highly-decorated fighter pilot in Viet Nam, so I definitely
have an interest, just no particular talent for understanding it all that
well......

But, I digress.

I was certain I had seen nice CF-looking gray cargo-type planes dumping
borate and water on forest fires here, but evidently not.

I think they should know he

http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs...&bhfv=2&bhqs=1

but nary a mention....

Eh bien, liver and loin, live and learn,

SW

Old November 7th 07, 03:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
SHIVER ME TIMBERS

Square Wheels wrote:

My best friend

a friend and colleague

my cousin was

so I definitely have an interest,

Holy smokies..... with friends and family like that
you should become a pilot.
Old November 7th 07, 04:19 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Square Wheels[_3_]

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 03:52:34 +0000, SHIVER ME TIMBERS wrote:

Square Wheels wrote:

My best friend

a friend and colleague

my cousin was

so I definitely have an interest,

Holy smokies..... with friends and family like that
you should become a pilot.

Uh, well, I even get dizzy on a thick carpet, y'see......

I'm a car-d00d, and I like terra firma, and the more firma the less terra....

;^)

Old November 7th 07, 06:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jacques & Laurie[_2_]

answer to that is no. The provincial governments have, if not they employ
private firms to do so.

Jacques