LX4000 GPS Connections

Old April 27th 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

Default LX4000 GPS Connections

I have friend that just purchased a PIK20 that has an LX4000
computer.

We are unable to get the LX4000 to pick up a GPS signal. The
documentation with it is confusing. Some of the documentation says it
has an internal GPS receiver and indicating all is required is to
connect a GPS antenna to the BNC connector on the back.

Other Documentation that he has says to wire a NEMA connection
directly into the BNC connector, indicating that a separate GPS is
required and in fact this appears to be how the LX4000 is currently
wired. (This seems very strange, can anyone confirm it is correct?)

We have unable to find a wiring diagram for the LX4000. Does anyone
know or have any documentation that would indicate the correct way get
the GPS to work on the LX4000.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Old April 27th 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Brian: have you e-mailed the factory? (support at lxnavigation dot
si.)

If the LX4000 is like the LX5000, you only have to attach the antenna
to the BNC connector. I would be surprised if it was different.

2NO
Old April 27th 08, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

On Apr 27, 9:33 am, Brian wrote:
I have friend that just purchased a PIK20 that has an LX4000
computer.

We are unable to get the LX4000 to pick up a GPS signal. The
documentation with it is confusing. Some of the documentation says it
has an internal GPS receiver and indicating all is required is to
connect a GPS antenna to the BNC connector on the back.

Other Documentation that he has says to wire a NEMA connection
directly into the BNC connector, indicating that a separate GPS is
required and in fact this appears to be how the LX4000 is currently
wired. (This seems very strange, can anyone confirm it is correct?)

We have unable to find a wiring diagram for the LX4000. Does anyone
know or have any documentation that would indicate the correct way get
the GPS to work on the LX4000.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

My recently purchased glider also came with an LX-4000 that would not
acquire GPS signal. I sent it to LX, they wiped it, updated it to the
latest version (v6.3), updated it to the Western US database and
provided a new GPS antenna. It has no problem acquiring signal and I
believe the new GPS setup utilizes more sats than the old one. My unit
was only out of my hands for 2 weeks and they billed me AFTER
returning it, for a very modest price (200ish Euros ) with a clean
bill of health. I must say, LX's customer service is quite good.
(Ilec too for that matter!). I agree with Tuno, email LX. They will
take good care of you.

Paul Hanson

PS. My LX-4000 is available for sale, feel free to pm me with offers
for it if interested (but be realistic if so...)
Old April 28th 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My LX000 has no internal GPS. There are models with GPS and some
without internal GPS.

Mine is fed GPS NMEA from an LX20.
Old April 28th 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

On Apr 27, 6:46*pm, wrote:
My LX000 has no internal GPS. There are models with GPS and some
without internal GPS.

Mine is fed GPS NMEA from an LX20.

Thanks for the responses, Today we learned that this is a Non-GPS
model and it is wired correctly with the GPS Signal being fed into the
BNC connect. Our problem turned out the be the old Garmin GPS that we
were using with it. We connected a new GPS and it seems to work fine.
We also have a an LX21 that came with the glider it had never been
used but I confirmed it is working today and we will wire it into the
LX4000 to provide the GPS Signal.

Brian

LX4000 Software and Manual JS[_3_] Soaring 2 January 7th 08 04:03 AM
Value of a LX4000 [email protected] Soaring 3 December 31st 07 02:10 PM
LX4000 and PDA Gabriel Duford Soaring 3 September 20th 06 04:16 PM
LX4000 System Peter Seddon Soaring 1 October 19th 04 10:47 AM
LX4000 wind calculation AttentionLEcureuil Soaring 2 June 23rd 04 04:33 AM