SSA web site

Old April 2nd 05, 07:15 AM
F.L. Whiteley

no sooner looked than it's unreachable for the moment, noticed the menuing
had an issue just before that

Frank

"F.L. Whiteley" wrote in message
Looks like the new webmaster is getting going.

Frank

"snoop" wrote in message
ups.com...
Checked the SSA Photo Gallery today, and there are actually a few
pictures in the gallery!

Willie wrote:
Bob Fidler wrote:
Membership locator has always been protected with a password.
However, I
feel the remaining rather feable content of the website should be
available
to all that wish to view.

I think that the stuff that is protected gives added value to the
paying membership. There is plenty of information available
on the website for someone who is merely curious about soaring.

I really do miss the "photos" section. While being chained to a desk
all winter, it used to be nice to see pictures of other people
enjoying themselves. I hope they bring it back.

Willie

Old April 2nd 05, 07:04 PM
Mike

First, I'd like to commend the new SSA leadership and its webmaster for
the improved website makeover. Second, in a sport which is in great
need of increased visibility in the face of decreasing membership, I'd
prefer to not lock out anyone that's making an attempt to find out more
information about soaring as his/her potential hobby. If we can get a
potential member to our doorstep, let's not make any obsticles for him
or her. For those things which need more security, such as personal
member information, a password entry is just fine. We just can't
afford to turn people off by an unwarrented exclusivity.

Mike

Roger wrote:
I wonder what is so important behind the members only part of the SSA
web site?

Old April 2nd 05, 07:34 PM
Nyal Williams

I'd bet that the lockout was not aimed at newcomers
and potential glider pilots; it is probably directed
at those who fly gliders but won't join SSA.

Old April 2nd 05, 07:59 PM
F.L. Whiteley

A lot of industry, media, and organizational web sites have member areas (or
at least registrant areas). NY Times, Washington Post, LA Times require
registration. WSJ requires subscription. Gliderforum.com requires basic
registration. EAA requires membership. DrJack requires subscription for
full access.

If you've been following RAS for a while, you've found that throughput still
costs money. It can amount serious money for some media formats. Those
using their corporate or broadband access to download soaring videos and
images may have occassionally found the path blocked. Tells you something.

Now I don't know what arrangements the SSA's made for bandwidth and
throughput, whether it's metered or not. It's probably not free or
unlimited. In Colorado, about 1590 pilots have glider ratings.
Approximately 530 are SSA members. I can't make any assumptions about the
1060 non-SSA rated pilots' activity, interest or whether they have a pulse.
I do know 6-7 with the rating that are not currently active in gliders for
the comtemporary reasons of family and unemployment.

So you make an interesting point. It might be good to allow people to
'verifiably' register for access to an expanded area (either permanently or
for some term). This would allow the SSA appropriate leverage also.

Frank

ups.com...

Old April 3rd 05, 04:10 PM
Papa3

F.L. Whiteley wrote:

So you make an interesting point. It might be good to allow people

'verifiably' register for access to an expanded area (either

permanently or
for some term). This would allow the SSA appropriate leverage also.

Frank

Second, in a sport which is in great
need of increased visibility in the face of decreasing membership,

I'd
prefer to not lock out anyone that's making an attempt to find out

more
information about soaring as his/her potential hobby.

At some point, this becomes a business decision - a classic demand
elasticity exercise. If we charge for content, and that content has
value, will some people be willing to pay for it? Conversely, will some
people be so offended by the concept as to avoid joining the SSA? I
don't know the answer, though it is potentially knowable (with the
right type of marketing and survey). On the other hand, I wonder if
it's the MOST important issue right now. Seems like the SSA has made
a calculated decision, and maybe it would make sense to see if there is
any noticeable behavior change.

Just a thought...

Erik Mann

Old April 3rd 05, 05:47 PM
F.L. Whiteley

"Papa3" wrote in message
ups.com...

F.L. Whiteley wrote:

[...]

Hi Erik,

It seems there might be a missing component, that is, finding those
interested enough to register, but not yet committed to membership. Not
unlike the one or three flight trial lesson offerings discussion. EAA have
options inside the membership, with additional specialty magazines, offered
at a cost plus pricing. I can think of one significant missed opportunity,
and at least one or two potential items. Committees tend to distill things
down to black and white options. Once that's done, we either have those
that buy-in or those that don't and no visible choices in-between. We don't
gain any knowledge about why not from those that don't, so any future
decisions remain shots in the dark. Survey? Who are we going to survey?
We need to consider building in a mechanism of discovery. That's what I'm
suggesting.

Frank Whiteley