Really obscure X-1 question

Old May 7th 04, 06:20 PM
UmTutSut

Default Really obscure X-1 question

I'm currently working on a 1/72 Bell X-1, and I'd like to put it in a
vignette showing Yeager standing next to the plane just after landing
on the day of his first supersonic flight.

In one (maybe both) of his biographies, Yeager says he was met by the
Muroc fire chief, just like on every prior flight. My really obscure
question: what was the fire chief driving, and what color was the
vehicle?

I *think* I've seen a film clip of the X-1 being towed across the
lakebed by a vehicle bigger than a jeep but smaller than a typical
Army or Air Force truck. Maybe that's the one?

Mucho thanx for any help!

Les (Friendly Airplane Asylum flack)
Old May 8th 04, 09:17 AM
Krztalizer

and of course the real first
pilot- Luftwaffe pilot Hans Mutke flying "White 9" in April 1945 over
Innsbruck.

http://mach1.luftarchiv.de/weisse_9.htm

Utter and complete hogwash, Rob, and you know it. Mutke's modern claims of a
1945 mach-1 flight are roundly rebuked every time you haul them out. He never
made any such claim until long after the war and when he did, NO GERMAN RECORDS
SUPPORT HIM. On the day his friend was attacked and damaged over the field,
initiating his so called Mach 1 dive to the rescue, no "Weisse 9" was reported
as damaged by his unit, by any cause. Bär, the Old Schoolmaster, was famous
for washing out any pilot who screwed up an Me 262, yet Mutke gets a pass after
diving beyond the aircraft's critical mach, essentially trashing the jet?
Let's not forget that little problem of the incorrectly configured intakes on
the Jumo, which would abruptly cut off all airflow to the turbine at the moment
a shock wave passed over it.

Everytime I see you parade Mutke's BS, I ask if you have bothered to write him,
instead of just quoting that website. His claim does not stand close
examination and your determined use of him as your 'example' of a Mach 1 Me 262
is lame.

Now, bring up the Me 262 Pilot's Handbook from WPAFB, and we'll go over that
one more time as well.

Or you could simply try to grasp that Mutke's claims of an un-telemetered,
un-instrumented, un-recorded Mach 1 flight are un-proven, impractical, and
implausible.

Gordon
PS, I am the Me 262's biggest fan, but I don't attribute it with superpowers.
Neither should you.
Old May 8th 04, 11:45 AM
B2431

From: nt (Krztalizer)

[...]

There are shorter ways of saying teuton is full of it.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old May 8th 04, 06:36 PM
Krztalizer

Neither should you.

There are shorter ways of saying teuton is full of it.

But my lungs were full and I didn't want it to go to waste

'sides, eventually, I will have a short tightly cropped response that covers
all of the reasons Arnt is wrong on Mutke - I have to keep practicing until I
can shoot it down in a single sentence.

GPT (Gulfport MS) ILS 14 question A Lieberman Instrument Flight Rules 18 January 30th 05 04:51 PM
Question Charles S Home Built 4 April 5th 04 09:10 PM
Tecumseh Engine Mounting Question jlauer Home Built 7 November 16th 03 01:51 AM