"The Shepard" Christmas Eve Story

Old December 23rd 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Kevin Dunlevy

Default "The Shepard" Christmas Eve Story

The Shepherd is a 1976 novel by Frederick Forsyth, but is actually a
well-known Royal Air Force story from considerably earlier.

The Shepherd relates the story of a De Havilland Vampire pilot, going home
on Christmas Eve 1957, whose aircraft suffers a complete electrical failure
over the North Sea en route from Celle in northern Germany to RAF Lakenheath
in Suffolk. Lost in fog and low on fuel, he is shepherded to a disused RAF
dispersal field by the pilot of a De Havilland Mosquito fighter/bomber of
World War II vintage, who has apparently been sent up to guide him in.

When he lands at the base, however, he learns that his saviour was Johnny
Kavanagh, an RAF pilot who guided the pilots of crippled bombers home, who
disappeared over the North Sea in his Mosquito on his last mission, on
Christmas Eve fourteen years before.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shepherd"

Old December 23rd 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
AES

In article ,
"Kevin Dunlevy" wrote:

The Shepherd is a 1976 novel by Frederick Forsyth, but is actually a
well-known Royal Air Force story from considerably earlier.

(snip)

When he lands at the base, however, he learns that his saviour was Johnny
Kavanagh, an RAF pilot who guided the pilots of crippled bombers home, who
disappeared over the North Sea in his Mosquito on his last mission, on
Christmas Eve fourteen years before.

For a gloriously maudlin "trucker-Christmas Eve hitchhiker" country
music variation on the same theme, see "Phantom 509" (I think that's the
title).

"Ain't no trucker a-running any line,
ever seen anything but tail lights from Phantom 509."
Old December 23rd 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
AES

In article ,
AES wrote:

For a gloriously maudlin "trucker-Christmas Eve hitchhiker" country
music variation on the same theme, see "Phantom 509" (I think that's the
title).

Correction: "Phantom 109"
Old December 23rd 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
cavedweller

Kevin Dunlevy wrote:
[...]

Usually broadcast on CBC Radio Christmas Eve.

Old December 23rd 06, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Randy[_1_]

Usually broadcast on CBC Radio Christmas Eve.

I've got the book (it's great) wonder if there's any file on the web
where it can be listened to?

Old December 23rd 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Robert Chambers

AES wrote:
In article ,
AES wrote:

For a gloriously maudlin "trucker-Christmas Eve hitchhiker" country
music variation on the same theme, see "Phantom 509" (I think that's the
title).

Correction: "Phantom 109"

It's 309 good buddy
Old December 23rd 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
AES

In article ,
Robert Chambers wrote:

For a gloriously maudlin "trucker-Christmas Eve hitchhiker" country
music variation on the same theme, see "Phantom 509" (I think that's the
title).

Correction: "Phantom 109"

It's 309 good buddy

Well, I had it two-thirds correct (both times).
Old December 24th 06, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
cavedweller

Randy wrote:

Usually broadcast on CBC Radio Christmas Eve.

I've got the book (it's great) wonder if there's any file on the web
where it can be listened to?

http://www.cbc.ca/aih/

Podcast may be available

Old December 24th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ron Natalie

Default "The Shepard" Christmas Eve Story SPOILED

Kevin Dunlevy wrote:
The Shepherd is a 1976 novel by Frederick Forsyth, but is actually a
well-known Royal Air Force story from considerably earlier.

It's a great story. My instrument instructor had me read it the
night before my checkride. You do spoil the ending for those who
haven't yet had the chance to read it.

Old December 25th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Randy[_1_]

cavedweller wrote:
Randy wrote:

Usually broadcast on CBC Radio Christmas Eve.

I've got the book (it's great) wonder if there's any file on the web
where it can be listened to?

http://www.cbc.ca/aih/

Podcast may be available

Rats...missed the broadcast and can't seem to find the link...maybe
next year!!