A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Garmin Aera 660 vs ifly 720

Old August 6th 19, 01:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Garmin Aera 660 vs ifly 720

So my Garmin 196 gave up the ghost and is not updatable anyway. So Im looking to replace it with one of the two above. One big question is (and I searched both manuals before asking this) do either of them give the current required glide ratio to a point? My 196 did and I had it on my custom field. It was extremely helpful for final glides. Both of the units Im looking at have VNAV functions but cant tell if the have what Im looking for in the size the come in. Any one have experiance with either of these? Thanks

Cliff Hilty ASW27 CH
Old August 6th 19, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Monday, August 5, 2019 at 5:40:11 PM UTC-7, wrote:
So my Garmin 196 gave up the ghost and is not updatable anyway. So Im looking to replace it with one of the two above. One big question is (and I searched both manuals before asking this) do either of them give the current required glide ratio to a point? My 196 did and I had it on my custom field.. It was extremely helpful for final glides. Both of the units Im looking at have VNAV functions but cant tell if the have what Im looking for in the size the come in. Any one have experiance with either of these? Thanks

Cliff Hilty ASW27 CH

The Aera 660 can display glide ratio in a user-defined data box. It also has a vertical nav (VNAV) feature that is similar to a glide computer. All of this is explained in its manual:

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-02017-20_e.pdf

I have seen the 660, and the display is quite bright in direct sunlight. A friend has one that he uses to display XM weather (needs the GDL-52 receiver).

Tom
Old August 6th 19, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I read that Tom, but it seems it only displays what you are getting for a glide ratio not what you need to a fixed point. I do like the look and ease of ops with the aera 660. I talked with tech support for both units and niether will do what the 196 did, but Ifly is working on that in a next gen software. I also like the ipad/ foreflight that now has the amoeba for reachable glide. Its just alittle big in my limited cockpit space. In the mean time I found a used 196 for a 100 bucks on ebay
Old August 6th 19, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 3:05:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I read that Tom, but it seems it only displays what you are getting for a glide ratio not what you need to a fixed point. I do like the look and ease of ops with the aera 660. I talked with tech support for both units and niether will do what the 196 did, but Ifly is working on that in a next gen software. I also like the ipad/ foreflight that now has the amoeba for reachable glide. Its just alittle big in my limited cockpit space. In the mean time I found a used 196 for a 100 bucks on ebay

The VNAV feature is a glide to a waypoint.

Tom
Old August 6th 19, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

True but it is given in fpm descent not glide ratio.
Old August 8th 19, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 3:42:54 PM UTC-7, wrote:
True but it is given in fpm descent not glide ratio.

So what? Can't you do a simple conversion?
Old August 8th 19, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Sure, I can always go back to the whiz wheel too Isnt that the point of technology, not to have to do the conversions?
Old August 8th 19, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]
external usenet poster

Not sure why not using one of the many flight computers available to us which do these calculations and so much more, some of them are even free?
I never used Garmin nor I ever felt the need for it.

Ramy
Old August 8th 19, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I am using a SN10B, the garmin is a backup, with the added advantage of having the faa database with all of the info for airports in the united states.. As well as glide ratio to a point. I guess its just what Im used to and know how to use without a large learning curve. I have tried XC soar and use it on my phone as a logger when flying club ships but it is not intuittive and screen brightness on most devices(with the exception of Eink readers) is limiting.

CH
Old August 9th 19, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G
external usenet poster

On Thursday, August 8, 2019 at 9:01:44 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Sure, I can always go back to the whiz wheel too Isnt that the point of technology, not to have to do the conversions?

My, my. Aren't we a bunch of techno-illiterates?

1 nm = 6076 ft
1 kt = 6076 ft/min

6072 ft/min
------ = 61:1 glide angle
100 ft/min

6072 ft/min
------ = 30.5:1 glide angle
200 ft/min

I bet you can do the rest - if you tried.