A380 flew into Heathrow today

Old May 18th 06, 09:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default A380 flew into Heathrow today

The one thing that caught my attention (okay, TWO things) besides how
solidly the pilot plunked the plane onto the runway (evidenced by wing
flexing) was that only the inboard engines have thrust reversers. I'd
assumed all four did, as any aircraft that heavy would probably need
lotsa help slowing down during the rollout.

MSN video link he

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12851908/?GT1=8199

Old May 18th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Kingfish wrote:
The one thing that caught my attention (okay, TWO things) besides how
solidly the pilot plunked the plane onto the runway (evidenced by wing
flexing) was that only the inboard engines have thrust reversers. I'd
assumed all four did, as any aircraft that heavy would probably need
lotsa help slowing down during the rollout.

MSN video link he

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12851908/?GT1=8199

It's getting up to where the aircraft don't so much approach the runway
as the world just shrinks to suit.....

Old May 18th 06, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

One word: UGLY

Sorry Europe... It's not meant to be us versus you, it's just
that Boeing makes a much prettier ship.
Although I will admit that Boeing has no imagination left.
Or should I say, GUTS to put out something new and radical out on the
market. Corporate Weazels.

Yeah, yeah.. I know I said it would be one word, but I just
didn't want to hurt anyones feelings by making it sound like
an American beating his chest.
It's all about style and grace and the A380 doesn't have that.

David - Where are you now McDonnell /Douglas?

Old May 18th 06, 09:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Kingfish" wrote in message

The one thing that caught my attention (okay, TWO things) besides how
solidly the pilot plunked the plane onto the runway (evidenced by wing
flexing) was that only the inboard engines have thrust reversers. I'd
assumed all four did, as any aircraft that heavy would probably need
lotsa help slowing down during the rollout.

My guess would be that on some runways, the outboard engines would be too
close to overhanging the edges of the runway, and it would kick up debris
that could be ingested by the engines during thrust reversal.

That is an interesting fact that I was not aware of, also.
--
Jim in NC

Old May 18th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Flav8R,

One word: UGLY

Two words: SO WHAT?

When did you last buy an airline ticket based on the (perceived, by you
personally, I might add) beauty of the airplane used? Be honest,
please. I'd really like to know if you ever did.

FWIW, I like its look.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 18th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Kingfish,

FWIW, it taxied by right in front of me when taking off from the Berlin
Airshow to Heathrow. We came in in our Tobago. Cool.

Regarding the reversers: Are you sure they aren't there or did they
just not use them?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old May 18th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Saw it flying over London on its way to Heathrow, this lunchtime. It looked
massive.

Out of interest, it was a pretty windy day here today with some big gusts,
here is the METAR for late this afternoon, reflecting how its been all day.
METAR COR EGLL 181950Z 22016KT 9999 FEW024 SCT035 13/08 Q1004 TEMPO
22018G30KT=

The plane landed on 27L and planted the port wheels down first.

I happen to be at Heathrow in the morning on my way to Glasgow on the red
eye so I might get to see the thing take off as I pass by.

oups.com...

Old May 18th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Regarding the reversers: Are you sure they aren't there or did they just not use them?

Good question. I assume all Trent 900s have the cascade-style
reversers, but I can't imagine why the outboard engines wouldn't. Or,
as Morgans suggested it might be a FOD issue. Then again other large
four engine jets like the A340 and 747 would have the same problem if
that was the case.

Old May 18th 06, 10:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Although I will admit that Boeing has no imagination left. Or should I say, GUTS to put out something new and radical out on the market.

You don't consider the all-composite 787 new and radical?

Old May 18th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Kingfish" wrote

Good question. I assume all Trent 900s have the cascade-style
reversers, but I can't imagine why the outboard engines wouldn't. Or,
as Morgans suggested it might be a FOD issue. Then again other large
four engine jets like the A340 and 747 would have the same problem if
that was the case.

I don't know how much wider the 380 is than the 747 at the outer engines,
but I suspect that it is wider.

After viewing the clip of the 380 landing at Heathrow, the outer engine
centerlines are almost at the edges of the runway. FOD looks like a real
possibility, to me.
--
Jim in NC

A380 evacuation test Chris Piloting 0 March 29th 06 07:31 PM
18 Oct 2005 - Today’s Military, Veteran, War and National Security News Otis Willie Naval Aviation 0 October 19th 05 02:19 AM
Today, I became a pilot... Jase Vanover Piloting 8 August 8th 05 03:14 PM
Airbus A380 water purification john smith Piloting 1 July 7th 05 02:50 AM
"Target for Today" & "Thunderbolt" WWII Double Feature at Zeno'sDrive-In Zeno Aerobatics 0 August 2nd 03 07:31 PM